30 day video game music challenge!

Day 12 (Music that makes you sad): Moon on the Water (Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony)

I very nearly put an Undertale song here instead but then I remembered this song existed! I'm pretty sure I've actually cried while listening to this song before. It's a very simple sounding song at first, but the longer you listen, the more melancholic it gets. And wow does this song really hurt you when it's played in-game...

im not always the most emotional person so im a bit hard pressed to find music that makes me genuinely sad. but that being said, i'm gonna have to pull from a series that i'm partially surprised to have not drawn from yet, which is ace attorney! AA has a lot of "Reminiscence" themes, which are songs which play during cases when the (usually dark/sad) backstory of a particular event or character is being told. There's a lot of them to choose from, but for some reason the one that always sticks with me is Reminiscence ~ Wandering Heart from Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies. I'm not sure why this one sticks with me so much all these years later. I don't particularly care for the game, case or characters involved anymore, but I just remember it really sticking out to me when i first played the game, and it's one that i won't forget for a long time. I think I just like the melody and the instrumentation, its sound oozes with sadness even without really remembering the context of what people were sad about

day 13: music you like from a game you dont like
honestly? i cant really think of one game i didnt actually like. maybe ill go through with music from a game i enjoyed overall but just not nearly as much as the others in the series?
which i meant rayman 2. oh my god sorry for dissing rayman 2 again but theres one song in uhhh the sanctuary of water and ice? i thought it was a bop. i think it was that its been a while since i last played it

Day 13: Music you like from a game you don't like [Hard Mode]

Mario Kart Wii's Rainbow Road. I hold the unpopular opinion disliking this game because
i only played mario kart wii and i dislike that game because:
  • there was no story
  • the graphics were fine but not good
  • the music was decent but not great
  • there were no notably unique characters and the only new character is baby daisy, who i don't like
so basically, the only appeal the game would have to me is the gameplay

and i didn't like that because literally the only thing it has to it is drive around in a car, pick up a thing to slow other people down, hope it doesn't go against you, and don't bump the sides.

sure maybe it was exciting as a 7 year old but games like mario party 9 have a racing minigame that has the core thing of what makes mario kart good and 10000000000000000000x more variety and interesting content. so yeah
However this piece of music feels really magical and that's why it's probably my best pick for this, even I weren't doing Hard Mode.

• Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Super Mario Maker 1
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Paper Mario TTYD
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Minecraft
  • Lego Indiana Jones 2
  • Bowser's Inside Story
  • Angry Birds
  • Super Mario Galaxy 1
  • Mario Kart Wii

Last edited:
2-in-1 post:

Day 12 - Music that makes you sad

Mario Kart Wii (Credits 1) - I'm not really emotional when listening to songs, but I though that this time was beautiful for what it is. As a credits tune, it sounds amazing, this is what I would expect to hear after clearing Rainbow Road.

Day 13 - Music I like from a game I don't like

Mario's Time Machine - I haven't played this game, but it's so universally hated, and rightfully so. But the title screen music is so catchy and when I first heard it, I was amazed by how much I liked it.

Last edited:
Day 13: Music you like from a game you don't like

usually nowadays before buying a game i look at reviews online to see if it's good. which is why most games i have are good and i don't hate any of them. however there are games i don't like because of what they represent, like banjo kazooie nuts and bolts. i never played that game (and i shouldnt ig), but it did ruin a franchise i really like. but grant kirkhope composed the soundtrack, and everything grant makes is good.
honestly i really like all the music in this game, but this song is better than the others in my opinion. sure, it's a remix of older bk songs, but it was really well done and somehow makes me feel nostalgic, even though i never even knew about banjo kazooie until i was a teenager. it pretty much perfectly represents the banjo franchise as a whole.

Gooper Blooper - Paper Mario: Sticker Star (surprise surprise a Sticker Star mention)

Music tends to be the only good thing about a lot of bad games. New Island's sassy kazoo and Other M's boring, generic orchestrated soundtrack (except Ridley's theme which isn't even from this game) not among them.

So originally I considered Other M for this day, but then I went through and I realized none of its music really jumped out at me. Jc's right, Other M's just Not Good on a soundtrack level.

So instead!

Day 13: Po-Wahi - Bionicle: Matoran Adventures

Matoran Adventures is probably the very definition of Generic Licensed GBA Platformer. It's not badly made or anything, but it's just... there. It existed because they wanted a GBA platformer for Bionicle, to the point of just palette swapping most things. I still have it but I have no energy to dust it off. Music's good though! I could recommend several tracks from it, but I ultimately settled on the exploration-based theme of Po-Wahi. This theme carries a strong sense of exploration, mixed with adversity. This is exploration where the environment itself is out to get you, and I like it!

Now if only the gameplay matched the music, ehehehe.

Day 13 - Music you like from a game you don't like: Nights of Azure - Floral Crown

Honestly this is probably the game that convinced me to stop buying games based on their soundtracks because there were a lot of good songs but damn this game sucks. Not that it hasn't worked out before, I played the trails series because I heard a few songs first and got interested but it didn't work as well for this game. Honestly it's not that different in technical quality than Atelier games are; also made by Gust, but Atelier can get away with it because they don't need to be very demanding and are also wholesome and make me feel good.

My sister and I were ranting about Mario Kart 64 yesterday and how terrible that game is (pretty much all problems with that game boil with its poor, unfair AI, exaggerating everything that is terrible and wrong about rubberbanding is, which goes out of its way to demolish any sort of fun you have playing tracks, even though track design in of itself is a barren, generic wasteland for the most part. As for multiplayer, that's every Mario Kart game's strong point, so that's a bunch of lol. It's outclassed as a racer on the N64, mostly by Diddy Kong Racing). The soundtrack is something still decent and enjoyable though, so that's definitely a strong point for the game. Choco Mountain is my favorite music in the game due to how catchy, energetic, and hummable the tune is, and it's much more enjoyable in the DS remake because it's in a far better game.

[Hard Mode]

Day 13 - Music you like from a game you don't like: Gooper Blooper Phase 5 - Paper Mario: Sticker Star (I actually don't outright dislike this game, but I do consider it the weakest in the series like a lot of people and pretty "eh" overall so... *shrugs awkwardly*)

Day 1 - Title Screen Music: Main Theme - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Day 2 - Opening Level Music: Departure Intro Stage - Mega Man Zero 2
Day 3 - 8-Bit Music: Moonsong - Cave Story
Day 4 - Music From a Console Exclusive Series: Riding on Legendary Beast - Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Day 5 - Hub World or Overworld Music: Summer Forest - Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
Day 6 - Music that makes you feel relaxed: Yellow Giant - Doshin the Giant
Day 7 - Music from an indie game: Prince Dail's Theme - Freedom Planet
Day 8 - Music from a shooter (First or third person): Fly Octo Fly - Splatoon 2
Day 9 - Music from a licensed game: Strange Things - Toy Story (Genesis)
Day 10 - RPG Battle Music: Come On! - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
Day 11 - Puzzle Game Music: Type B - Tetris
Day 12 - Music that makes you sad: Grovyle's Sacrifice - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: EoD/EoT/EoS

for today's pick, im going with Into The Woods from Gunman Clive. gunman clive is a short sidescroller that was initially released on 3ds for about $2, made mostly by one dude. its kind of like mega man, but with cowboys. the reason i dont really like it is just that, well, it isn't very fun. it's level design is very rudimentary, and the implementation of basic platforming ideas, like seesaws and falling platforms and the like, just lacks a certain kind of polish which makes the game feel slightly stiff and off, which is the worst thing to have in a platformer (it's the kind of game where you die more because of the programming than you do your own human error). but that being said, one of the great things about games is that even if one element brings down the whole thing, at least you can look for the good qualities in something, which in this case is the music (and also the artstyle) which, while nothing particularly revolutionary, sounds nice and does a good job of fitting the western aesthetics that the game is going for. even though i dont like the game, i still appreciated the craftsmanship enough to buy the sequel to see if it had improved in the gameplay department (spoiler: gunman clive 2 is better than the first, although i still dont really care for it)

day 14: music featuring vocals
i have memorized the entire lyrics of both jump up super star and break free because yea. thats my pick. i just really like the them!
however how much does gibberish count as vocals because . rayman origins sea of serendipity, again
and shoutouts to the phantom fight in mario + rabbids as well. i got to it a few days ago and hardly actually understood anything of what he was singing but hey it was kinda insane

Day 14: Music Featuring Vocals [Hard Mode]

Jump Up, Super Star! Hate to kinda be predictable but it's more or less the only VGM I know which has vocals and whilst I haven't played Odyssey myself, I do own the SMO theme on my 3DS which has this song play on the home menu so yeah.

Last edited:
Reactions: zel
Day 13 - Music featuring vocals: Stella Glow - Volt Shower

I feel like Stella Glow is one of those games where it looks generic and is pretty generic for the most part, but it executes its story beats so well and doesn't give a fuck. Also has a handful of witches that can activate a song that is basically a vocal airstrike on all the enemies at the cost of making them immobile for a few turns while it takes place. I only ever really got to hear the first songs because those are required and the witches are such good units on their own that benching them for a song is the wrong play, but I like two of them a lot and went with this one because this is the one that isn't spoilers. There will probably be spoilers in the recommended though. This is the only game I've ever replayed to completion immediately upon finishing it the first time, I really enjoyed it.

It also turned me back around on grid-based SRPG's after Fire Emblem made me think I didn't enjoy them, because a lot of design choices in this game are basically opposite Fire Emblem and I love it. Each character has their own set of passives, movement (vertical included, there's varying heights on the grid) and a skill list that sets them apart drastically, there's no class and/or job system, maps are almost all very memorable and the bonus objectives usually coincide extremely well with the layouts while remaining optional as a form of self-imposed difficulty which I think is amazing design without resorting to just buffing enemy stats and calling it hard mode. I also really enjoyed messing around with the orb equip system like there's a spoiler character that always attacks first in a fight (passive) and I equipped them with a Knockback Orb so she could get away from close range fights being the only one that got to attack even on enemy turns, her skillset was super volatile (skills that burn HP to use) so she still wasn't great but I always think back on that and how big brain I felt combining those two things to improve her survivability in a way that no other character was capable of.

I could gush about this game a lot, or talk about what things they could have fixed in a sequel if the company didn't go bankrupt, but instead I'll probably just replay it sometime soon.

Day 14: Music featuring vocals

Im not a big fan of songs with vocals. Not even vg songs with vocals are songs i can actually enjoy. There's the case of jump up superstar which is overrated af, and lifelight which never really stood out for me. Ig sonic is one of the series that makes actually good songs with vocals, so i picked the best one in my opinion
So i never grew up with sonic, heck i never played sonic colors (i know. a game that has music i like that i've never played? that never happened before!) but i like this song. it's pretty enjoyable to listen to and isnt really that rock n rollish. Im not a big fan of those songs unless they're done well, but sonic's rock n roll songs aren't always that enjoyable in my personal opinion.....sometimes they are sometimes they're not

Day 13: From a game I don't like

I'm just gonna be controversial again and pick my favorite theme from ttyd.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (X-Naut Fortress)

This theme is such a banger. If there's one thing I like about ttyd is its ost, well for the most part at least. Keep in mind that by the time I got to chapter 7, I almost lost all interest in the game already, but this theme was able to give me that last push I needed, tbh. I literally forgot I was playing ttyd at first, then I remembered and wished I was taken back one second into the past. This theme is THAT good. Honorable mention to Boggly Woods theme, that one is so calming of your nerves.

Day 14: With Vocals

I hate Jump up Super Star. It's not even good and it sickens me whenever I hear it. But you know what IS good?

This boi right here.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (The Phantom's Performance)

I am aware that there's a lot of vocal themes out there that have not gotten my attention, probably. But what I love so much about this one here is just the pure sass that comes with it, and how roasted Mario gets. It's hilarious and very well-done, and it perfectly fits its context too, unlike Jump up Super Star which just feels like it's shoved into everyone's faces for the sake of having a vocal theme. I hope they never make Pauline sing ever again.

I'm going to be very rude and steal SGoW's choice right out from under him, probably.

Day 14: E.G.G.M.A.N. - Sonic Adventure 2

For me, this theme is the iconic representation of Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, regardless of the game or continuity. It was also my first exposure to vocal songs in video games - well, I mean, a lot of SA2's OST was like that, but Eggman's theme is the one that stuck in my head the best and that I keep going back to after all this time. So it just wouldn't feel right to pick anything else!

The Heritors of Arcadia - Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (both versions)

I feel like this song doesn't get enough attention and often gets overshadowed by Lost in Thoughts. IMO it's the better song, partly because both languages' vocals sound equally amazing here whereas if~Hitori Omou~'s more light and gentle vocals were much more fitting for the song than the English version's. I got tired of Jump Up, Super Star! and Lifelight pretty quickly, but this song never gets old for me.

Pet peeve: why oh why is it called that? Music featuring vocals also include music pieces where there's no lyrics at all but there is a singer in it or if there's a voice somewhere in the song as that technically counts. Usually, when it's called "music featuring vocals", they typically mean music with lyrics in it.

I guess I'll just go with Persona 3's When the Moon's Reaching Out the Stars and call it a day, the reincarnation version of it specifically, it's a nice music, though I could have also went with Mass Destruction or Reach Out To The Truth. And because of how loose the term is, I could technically add Sims 4 music as well (not the licensed ones but in Simlish, they're not video game music per se) but I already did a Sims 4 entry on here. I don't pay attention to lyrics typically (hence why I tend to love Eurobeat songs lol) but I like it when lyrics are added to songs and it's done well rather than forced. Jump Up, Super Star! is all right while Lifelight is...diet diet symphonic metal honestly.

Day 14 - Music featuring vocals

Super Mario Run (Remix 10) - I originally wanted to choose Jump Up, Super Star, but I figured that it wouldn't be too original, so instead, I went for Super Mario Run. The Remix 10 tune is pretty cool to listen to, and the vocals were a surprising, yet interesting addition for me.

Last edited:
Day 12: Luma - Super Mario Galaxy

Gonna make this catch-up quick. I find this a very calm yet emotional song, particularly because of the scenes it plays in, namely Rosalina's backstory as well as the ending. Those scenes always bring me to tears and the music certainly helps with that.

Day 13: Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash - Main Menu

I don't hate Ultra Smash--it's still a lot of fun with friends, and the gameplay here is pretty enjoyable especially with the Mega Mushrooms--but there's clearly no $60 game here, there just isn't really any single-player content besides the repetitive Knockout Challenge. But regardless, the menu music is incredible and I'll let you hear it for yourself.

Day 14: Green Tree Memories from Kirby - Super Kirby Clash

The first true lyrical song to appear in a Kirby game (Noble Haltmann and Song of Supplication only have implied lyrics), Green Tree Memories from Kirby was...kinda disappointing. I mean, the lyrics are barely comprehensible! But when Nintendo released the official music video that I linked to, I could finally understand what the song was saying. And it's beautiful, emotional, truly captures these feelings that I really can't describe. I do wish it had a better singer, but I can look past that.

Day 13 (Music you like from a game you don't like): Seaside Spot - Mario Party Advance

So I'm not the biggest fan of this game (then again, who is? it's definitely one of the weirder games in the series!) but I will admit it does have its charm points, such as this song! I love that it incorporates the steel drum here (you cannot have a tropical theme without steel drum, it's mandatory) while still sounding like a Mario song. Heck, if you gave this a remaster and maybe expand it a bit, I could totally see it in one of the Super Mario Galaxy games or something...

Day 14 (Music featuring vocals): NISEGAO - Muse Dash

Is it cheating to put something from a rhythm game here? Probably but I don't care, this is still a very good song. It might secretly be a vocaloid song, but I like vocaloid so I'll let it slide. (then again, a lot of the songs in this game are like that) This song is probably the best example of jazzy swing hip hop ever, and I am HERE for it.

for music featuring vocals, i'm gonna also take from a rhythm game and say Remix 8 from Rhythm Heaven Fever. rhythm heaven's a great rhythm game series where the gameplay and music fits so seamlessly with each other, to the point where sometimes i listen to songs like this and it feels weird listening the soundtrack version cause it doesn't have the sound effects or the "BA BUMP BUMP BUMP"s. it's really quite amazing. this song in particular is a remix, so it contains gameplay of various other songs featured to make a completely new song, and this one is a song about lost love and stuff like that, just what i always wanted to listen to while playing air badminton and slicing shadow monsters

day 15: boss battle music
you guys. bowser battle 1 from mario odyssey is so GOOD and i never hear anyone talk about it. as well as the torkdrift one
but i wanna plug some rayman stuff. heres the celoche fight because bop
mechanical dragon from legends is a bop too

Back