30 day video game music challenge!

what does a liscenced game mean?

what does a liscenced game mean?
i think its a game based on some other non game property like spongebob games and such
will edit this shortly with my pick for today

day 9: music from a licensed game
harry potter and the chamber of secrets is a genuinely really good game and also really good music as well no kidding
the first three hp games generally use a lot of the same music and a lot of it is so good too. even if poa is.. very lacking gameplay wise cause it was rushed its new music is great

Last edited:
Day 9: Music from a licensed game

Does this game count as a licensed game? Because if it does, I'm certainly adding Beetle Adventure Racing to this, which is a great racer on the N64, better than any right it had to be as it's supposed to advertise the New Volkswagen Beetle. Maybe because it was developed by the folks behind Pilotwings 64. This game has excellent track design; while there's only a few tracks in the game, all tracks are very long and packed with all sorts of detail and shortcuts, pushing the limits of the N64. Sunset Sands is one of them and my favorite music in the game. It's probably my favorite desert tune period, not much tunes that take place in the desert mix in a groovy, funky tune.

Day 9: Music from a licensed game [Hard Mode]

Level Builder - Lego Indiana Jones 2

This is actually an edited version of "Nocturnal Activities" from the film Lego Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom but in any case I feel it's a very beautiful piece which gives me a lot of nostalgia as it's the one and only theme that plays when building a level in LIJ2 (something I did a lot as a kid.)

• Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Super Mario Maker 1
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Paper Mario TTYD
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Minecraft
  • Lego Indiana Jones 2

Day 9: music from a licensed game

i havent played that many licensed games, but ive played a few like epic mickey, some smurfs games and a few i forgot about. epic mickey is in my opinion one of the best games ever made, and it also has amazing music. i picked this one because i think it's my favorite song from the game
This song plays in mickeyjunk mountain. an area in the game filled with forgotten abandoned mickey merchandise. It's pretty much the most unnerving and creepy area in the game. The song has an eerie vibe to it, with broken toy sounds in the background, emphasizing the broken toys and mechanic objects in the level, and that's kinda why i love this song, because it fits its location incredibly well. also apparently it's a remix of the mickey mouse club march, which is cool ig

[Hard Mode]

Day 9 - Music from a licensed game: Strange Things - Toy Story (Genesis)

Day 1 - Title Screen Music: Main Theme - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Day 2 - Opening Level Music: Departure Intro Stage - Mega Man Zero 2
Day 3 - 8-Bit Music: Moonsong - Cave Story
Day 4 - Music From a Console Exclusive Series: Riding on Legendary Beast - Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Day 5 - Hub World or Overworld Music: Summer Forest - Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
Day 6 - Music that makes you feel relaxed: Yellow Giant - Doshin the Giant
Day 7 - Music from an indie game: Prince Dail's Theme - Freedom Planet
Day 8 - Music from a shooter (First or third person): Fly Octo Fly - Splatoon 2

Last edited:
Day 9: Licensed game

What TG said. There's nothing else I can think of. You may call this cheating but I really do have the same opinion as he does.

ok day 9. so after thinking about it for a bit, i realised that there's a game series i was holding off from mentioning because i thought it's soundtrack doesn't count as VGM... buuuut i realised that it does technically count as a licensed game, and there has been original songs written specifically for the series alongside the other licensed songs so... today's pick is gonna be Yume Yume from Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai, which was made as the main theme from the game. its a nice sounding song, and i think its better than most of the openings in Mirai's sister series, Project Diva. don't think ive got much else to say other than that!
also honourable mentions to the other Project Mirai main themes, Ageage Again and Nice To Meet You Mr Earthling, which i also personally think are better than the main themes in the Project Diva series from what i've played. in most other respects i prefer diva, but i guess mirai wins on that criteria (and the cuteness one as well)

Day 10: RPG Battle Music [Hard Mode]

Bowser's Inside Story's. Lots of nostaliga.

• Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Super Mario Maker 1
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Paper Mario TTYD
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Minecraft
  • Lego Indiana Jones 2
  • Bowser's Inside Story

Last edited:
YEa well mario + rabbids is counted as an rpg sometimes???? ok just kidding i kinda dont remember the battle music off the top of my head but its great
anyway im actaully not familiar with much of the rest so shoutouts to pm64s i guess! its pretty cheery

Day 10 - RPG battle music: Xenoblade Chronicles - Mechanical Rhythm

haha I lied I do play video games, here's one. This track gets overlooked in XC in favour of you will know our names and engage the enemy but this one is my favourite from this game. I listened to the Definitive Edition remix, preferred the original and then went into the options and turned off remixed battle tracks just so I could listen to this one when I get to that point in the game.

Day 10: The Fierce Battle - Final Fantasy V Advance

There's a lot of things about FFV that I end up liking more than FFVI, despite the popular opinion, and the music is definitely one of them. This boss theme is surprisingly durable, which is good, considering it's used by what... forty different bosses? Anyhow, it has the right level of force for a great boss theme, feeling like a fight against an imposing force. And yes I'm explicitly linking the Advance version because I am the strange person who really enjoys the GBA soundfont and compression. So I like this better than SNES original!

Alright, have missed a couple of days, so let's offer an update.

Day 7. Music from an Indie Game - Resurrections - Celeste

Please, everyone, please, if you like platformers at all, play Celeste. It's such a good game, and it's music is great, and I'm so attached to its cast of characters despite it being so small. Admittedly, this is a piece where I like the circumstances related to it more than the music. The second level of Celeste was beautifully-crafted, in terms of its dream-like aesthetic, and for setting the tone for the rest of the game. It sticks out in my memory very clearly, and I think Roserade would agree with me on it being a great start to a game that really has a lot to offer in terms of its simple narrative.

Day 8. Music from a Shooter - Calamari Inkantation

Yes, I'll be the boring one. I'll pick the Splatoon song, and one of the most popular, at that. Still, I like it. I genuinely do, so it's my pick for this day.

Day 9. Music from a Licensed Game - Dance - Monopoly Party

I actually had to think long and hard about this one, because I don't play many licensed games, but, ultimately, this is a case where I'm selecting music for the experiences behind it, rather than for the music itself. Monopoly Party takes a game that I already find enjoyable to play and manages to make it bearable to everyone else by increasing the speed of play by having all players take their turns at once and automating the financial transactions. It can get heated in the best kind of way, and I have fond memories of playing this game in my youth! I wish there were an online version. I'd set up a Mario Awards tourney for it!

Day 10. RPG Battle Music - Decisive Battle II - Octopath Traveler.

This was admittedly hard because I am very fond of Superstar Saga's battle theme, and the final battle theme in BiS, and, even more so, the final battle theme in PiT (seriously, we don't have enough somber final battle themes), however, ultimately, this is where I pull out the Octopath card. It almost feels strange to hear this music without the sounds of Olberic going "My blade is UNBENDING" and saying "A touch of venom" and Tressa's adorable quips and her voice going "Rain of Arrows" and "Try this on for size", but Decisive Battle II is just a thrilling battle theme that really pumps you up for a fight.

Day 10: RPG battle music

K so i see a lot of people going for mario rpg songs, and im one of those people. out of all the mario rpg series, mario & luigi has the best music in my opinion. and out of all the mario & luigi games, the one that has the best music is mario & luigi dream team
now the thing is, i never played this game, yet i really need to one day cause everyone says it's amazing. anyway, even then, i really dig this battle theme because it's catchy and enjoyable to listen to ( heck i listen to this song sometimes when i have nothing to do). This is what an rpg battle theme needs to be. I mean not all rpgs need a battle theme like this, like, i imagine this wouldnt fit things like xenoblade and persona at all, but it's fitting for the kind of rpg it's in, where things are more kid friendly and stuff.

also the smash remix honestly sucks. just thought id throw that in

Day 10 - RPG Battle Music

The Persona series makes exceptional RPG music, with all of its genres used not too commonly seen in JRPGs, with Persona 3 having hip-hop, Persona 4 being more Jpop, and now this one is more R&B/Acid Jazz/Funk-oriented. I've remember a poster online said that Persona 5 music is just a poorer Jamiroquai, buuuuut even as myself a large fan of Jamiroquai I still like the music all the same, and I never get tired of hearing it. I loved seeing this music in Smash Bros., it's one of the biggest reasons I was stoked to see Joker in the game, and not only it came with Last Surprise, it came with Reach Out To The Truth and Mass Destruction as well. In the context of Smash Bros., this music stands out as a unique genre of music compared to the countless fast-paced distorted rock music we typically get, and I welcome more musical genres being represented in Smash.

I'll do 7 through 9 later

Day 10: Here We Go! DX - Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey

I take a break from Dream Team music to post from...its predecessor. Wow, talk about variety. Anyway the composer for this series is really amazing so I kinda had to. The theme really does sound fantastic, the accordion really works and seems to reference Mario's Italian heritage. It's really catchy and encourages you to battle again and again.

Last edited:
[Hard Mode]

Day 10 - RPG Battle Music: Come On! - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions

Day 1 - Title Screen Music: Main Theme - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Day 2 - Opening Level Music: Departure Intro Stage - Mega Man Zero 2
Day 3 - 8-Bit Music: Moonsong - Cave Story
Day 4 - Music From a Console Exclusive Series: Riding on Legendary Beast - Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Day 5 - Hub World or Overworld Music: Summer Forest - Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
Day 6 - Music that makes you feel relaxed: Yellow Giant - Doshin the Giant
Day 7 - Music from an indie game: Prince Dail's Theme - Freedom Planet
Day 8 - Music from a shooter (First or third person): Fly Octo Fly - Splatoon 2
Day 9 - Music from a licensed game: Strange Things - Toy Story (Genesis)

another three for one special bc i keep forgetting to do this ach

Day 8 (Music from a shooter (first or third person)): Serenity (Resident Evil 4)

So I never played this game but I watched my dad play it a lot when I was younger. I remember like none of the actual music other than this song and the save theme (which I ALMOST put here because it's very good). I chose this one though, because of what it means when you hear it. You're safe for now, but danger still lies ahead, and that is a very creepy feeling but it's great.

Day 9 (Music from a licensed game): Hessonite's Theme (Steven Universe: Save the Light)

I've played licensed games but none of them really had music that stuck out to me. So that's where this song comes in, despite me not having played the game it's from! What I love about this is how it has quite a bit going on but not enough to drown anything out. You've got this futuristic sounding thing, some violin, and then piano on top of that, and that's before the percussion even comes in. These all keep the song fresh and exciting without excessively overloading it.

Day 10 (RPG Battle Music): Mass Destruction (Persona 3)

I've had this song picked out for this day since the beginning because it is so awesome and iconic. You're lurking around Tartarus, see a monster, go to strike it, and then all you can hear is "BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY". So iconic. Not to mention, that rap part's pretty catchy too.

Back