Super Mario Maker 2

Wow, I can't wait for them to add the SMB2 Theme to SMM2, because as we all know that's guaranteed to happen.

SMM update support spanned to about 10 months, from release to the Squid Sisters event course in July 2016, plus two more event courses in November-December 2016, and another one in October 2017 (longest gap between event courses releases). And it had three major updates (checkpoints, the bookmark site, and keys being the highlights for their respective updates).

In comparison, SMM2 also had three major updates (friends, the Master Sword, and world maker as highlights for their respective updates) in 10 months, but nothing in between updates (besides increasing the upload limit).

The sequel already had features from the first game (having major exceptions), and the base game already introduced a handful of new features. Make sense that there are only a few big additions via post-release updates

Wow (recently wondering when the next update would ever be); since they're adding the key SMB2 features of picking up enemies, then if they add SMB2 themes, enemies and block graphics, you would be able to make an SMB2 style level off of the SMB1 engine! (I see they already had that green semisolid mountain from SMB2).

(And the frog suit too! Wish they had the ice flower!)

Wow (recently wondering when the next update would ever be); since they're adding the key SMB2 features of picking up enemies, then if they add SMB2 themes, enemies and block graphics, you would be able to make an SMB2 style level off of the SMB1 engine! (I see they already had that green semisolid mountain from SMB2).
all that can be achieved by just hacking to replace the textures, admittedly that's neither something i'd know exactly how to do nor would i be interested in until a long time after i finally get my hands on this game

Good grief right when some guy from GameXplain retweeted my sentiments on it I knew I was gonna have tons of notifications lol.

Anyway this is a great update and all, but...if this is the last major update, why did the section with the 3D World style say "Extra Game Styles"? There won't be any more game styles (I assume). It could be a mistranslation, but I'd think they'd catch such a misleading mistake.

Reactions: zel
Good grief right when some guy from GameXplain retweeted my sentiments on it I knew I was gonna have tons of notifications lol.

Anyway this is a great update and all, but...if this is the last major update, why did the section with the 3D World style say "Extra Game Styles"? There won't be any more game styles (I assume). It could be a mistranslation, but I'd think they'd catch such a misleading mistake.
i'm actually kinda sad they didn't have more, but hopefully mario maker 3 will

In my opinion, it's too suspicious to be a mistake. Plural form AND an extra space for another game style? At least we got SMB2 to some extent.

Anyways, time to share some thoughts.

Nintendo, you fucking beasts. THIS is how you do an update. I was hype through the whole thing. Perfect accompaniment to my breakfast.

The Koopalings: Win.
Frog Suit and P-Acorn: Win x 2.
Super Mario Bros 2 mode lite (oh sorry, I meant "SMB2 Shroom"): Win
World map maker: Biggest fucking win of them all.

Helps that most of that (specifically the Frog Suit/P-Acorn, Koopalings, and world map maker) was on my pre-release wishlist and I straight up called a world map maker impossible. (I've never been happier to eat my words). Legit my only issues with the game now are nitpicks.

Oh and another thing. Normal mechakoopas weren't all that exciting (though they should have been in sooner), but Mechakoopas that shoot missles and Mechakoopas that shoot laser beams? WTF, that's awesome!!!

Oh and interesting little tidbit. I didn't see anybody point this out, but Dotted Switch Blocks have been added to the 3D World game style. (About 2:22-2:24). This is interesting because A: It was originally exclusive to the "Core 4" game modes for no good reason, and B: They didn't even mention that it's a universal item now. (Likely because they didn't consider it a big deal since it was already in the other styles). That's pretty cool, more so because I, and many others, have already voiced my disappointment at the lack of cross-style compatibility with certain items and I had lost hope these QoL changes would ever be included, and bam, my friend pointed this out to me. I guess this also opens up the possibility that a few other cross-style "stealth changes" they didn't bother to cover will be in this update or a future minor one.

That being said, this is the final major update. That's a little sad and honestly kinda baffling that they just decided to stop huge updates after not even a year when we had so much potential to go above and beyond, but in fairness' sake, last "major" update technically doesn't mean last update, period. It's possible all that's left is bugfixes, but as my friend pointed out, it likely got the distinction because of how much got added (more specifically he thinks it's because of the world map editor, which is a new mode in and of itself) and minor updates could still potentially happy infrequently. Like, I don't think an update that adds 1-2 enemies/power ups or makes certain enemies/tools available in every game style could really be considered "major", but y'know, that's just me, and I'm the last person you should be taking wisdom from. That being said, any hope of a new game mode or even another Link/SMB2USA type costume seems to be in the graveyard. Hell, I wouldn't even bet on a new level theme.

But still, when all's said and done, this was an A+ update. Covered almost every hole that was left. The only things that really feel missing now are the complete lack of a Beach or Volcano theme and the lack of cross-style compatibility for some items, which could very well be fixed. (Also, placeable lava/water and a option to toggle off all the changes in night mode would be great.) But for all those nitpicks, this is a commendable effort from Nintendo and a love letter that demolishes the first game in almost every possible way, and I can picture myself continuing to play it well down the line much like I did with the original.

In my opinion, it's too suspicious to be a mistake. Plural form AND an extra space for another game style? At least we got SMB2 to some extent.

I actually have a little theory on that. Here's my useless speculation:

I think they were originally planning a full fledged Super Mario Bros 2 mode, but eventually decided that it would be too limiting to be worth it, and the SMB2 content we're gonna get in this update is a leftover from that, as is the "Extra Game Styles" stuff.

Last edited:
2 things:
・Remember an unused Costume data from SMM1? I feel like Link and SMB2 Mario is basically the substitute for the Mystery Mushrooms.
・I wanted the Ice Flower more than the Super Acorn, but that's still okay (largely because of the Koopalings).

Overall, this update is SO gold. Nintendo indeed finally unleashed their trump card. While some ideas are already done by fan games (e.g. SMBX and Mario Editor), but still, it's a SUPER great update.

Last edited:
got around to playing the game and wow these additions are really cool.. i wonder if the ones entirely new to smm2 will be added to future mainline series games too

Players are losing their minds on "Extra Game StyleS", and an obvious vacant space.

Me, I'm "patiently waiting" for mystery mushroom costumes 154-160 in SMM1. :-/

After playing around with the update I'm ready to declare my opinion that they should allow you to place way more than 5 levels per world. At least eight not counting the castle.

It was likely 'just in case'; a "provision" to add more styles, that may or may not ever be realized. I think we all eagerly jumped on the word "styleS" and made too much of it and assumed it meant there MUST be more than one addition in the future.

But what MetaWeege said might be true as well.

Looking at it more, I guess I'm satisfied. At least we will have the sounds and actions from the game, plus the player sprites and Phanto. Still wish they would add at least Shyguys, Cobrats and Tweeters. (Better than those stupid "goombrats" that don't seem to have any purpose, as they behave just like goombas and only redrawn as pumpkins. They could have instead had galoombas; and for SMW, regular goombas).
With SMB 1 and 2 now integrated like this, it's just like the Super Mario Bros Super Show, where in the story episodes, everything was mixed between the two games (characters, sound effects, etc.)

Since they said this was the last major update, I wonder if some of that stuff could be added in "minor" updates.

It just seems funny, as we had gotten the sense that SMB2 features such as picking up vegetables was too different an engine to convert to SMM, but here they've integrated it right into SMB1! The snowballs thing was a great idea, but perhaps they could have had you be able to pick up those little bushes on the block ground? (Or maybe since that's background, it would be too difficult?) If they could have you pick up snowballs, I wonder why they couldn't just have little vegetables you can add. (Since the picking up part is obviously shown to be do-able after all, and adding the item to the level is what this game is about).

For level creators, I would suggest, to further recreate the SMB2 look, where the ground consists of a grass cover over sand (like most later games) rather than blocks, is to use the green "T"-platform (with the brown earth underneath), and extend it as far as possible. (They should have had things you could pick up from this surface, like they did with the snow).

I managed to upload three more courses as a total of 82 courses and created a Super World map from the new 3.0 update. I managed to use some of the content from the 3.0 update such as SMB2 Mushroom, Koopalings, Mechakoopas, Frog Suit, and Power Balloon.

Koopalings' Spike Airship ID: XST-MGP-DWF
The Auto Castle 5 ID: D87-VWG-MJF
Frog Suit Swimming Adventure ID: 063-YSW-J5G

My Super World map is the same one from the Proflie ID: JDD-BYN-9RF

Another thing I realized; SMB2 little Mario is omitted. IT would have been cool to include that, as in the original game, because it would allow you to be hit twice before falling back into SMB1 mode.
(Also noticed that the P-switch uses the original SMB theme variation from "subspace" instead of the SMB3 "Toad house" tune. I'm wondering if underwater, it will use that "tinny" version of the SMB waterworld theme that appears on the start screen of SMB2).

Back