Favorite and least favorite Mario characters

The "debuts in a spin off" comment never matters to Nintendo btw.

Toadette debuted in double dash and is more recurring than Birdo and others , even appearing in Odyssey

Swiftie_Luma said:
The "debuts in a spin off" comment never matters to Nintendo btw.

Toadette debuted in double dash and is more recurring than Birdo and others , even appearing in Odyssey

I get that. I only mentioned that point about Baby Daisy to demonstrate that there isn't much of a point to Baby Wario even though he had a supposedly important role in a more major game (and I feel that that role is not that noteworthy). At least Baby Daisy is cute, which has that going for her.

Thank you for reading.

Yeah I got you.

I think characters like Baby Daisy or even Baby Rosalina can suddenly pop up more and it shouldn't be a surprise

Plague Knight said:
But that also means characters like Waluigi and Daisy could show up more...

But they dont

Pink Gold Peach is already showing up more, so anything could happen.

winstein said:
Favourite (assuming only one choice): Mario. There are a few characters I could consider favourites, but if there's one character that I like, it would be Mario because he's a mascot character that is organically one and not engineered as one (such as Sonic), since he has several characteristics that are not typical of mascots, such as being a human (typically animals are mascots), is not young (must be the moustache) and his design is based on design limitations to make him stand out. He's also a very cheerful person with the best voice because you will not expect a person like Mario to have a high-pitched voice that is also cheerful.

Thank you for reading.
Mario's design is virtually an accident, and that's what I love about him. I think one trait typical of a mascot he does have, traits that would be inviting to children, though is his baby-like proportions (I love that description of him) and his roundness. I also think big round noses also soften the character's image. You see these often on cartoon characters. On the other hand, I don't find Sonic, Banjo, or Crash's designs all that appealing.

But anyhow, it's all right to hate Mario. :> I haven't seen people who truly hate Mario the same way I hate Yoshi though. Like in a "I want to shove a head bore saw up his nose" way. I bet it would be hilarious though! I've seen it toward Toad, Peach, and maybe Daisy, but never really Mario?

Mcmadness said:
I've been exposed to a lot of different media in my life and I still can't find anybody that is quite like him that existed before he was created.
I don't know if I said the same about Mario, but Asterix gave me strong Mario vibes and the Gaul guy came first.

Now that I think of, he has baby proportions, a mustache, and a round nose just like Mario.

W-what?! TWO people on here hate Yoshi!?! I'm shocked! Yoshi is the better most bestest character in all of game history...meh, to each his own.

Honestly, besides enemies, there's no such thing as a bad/weird character. Although that Koopa in PMTTYD that had a bunch of Princess Peach photos was a bit of a stalker.

I can't say I hate Yoshi but he is really overrated to the point it's quite common for the generic and standard "Mario" fan to be a Yoshi fanboy , usually having an avatar or thematic based on Yoshi or any of his colored variants.

Doesnt help either that Yoshi is quite bland as a character , filling one of the most common archetypes ever which is being liked by being seen as cute.

Moldomré said:
W-what?! TWO people on here hate Yoshi!?! I'm shocked! Yoshi is the better most bestest character in all of game history...meh, to each his own.
they're twin siblings

though I know there are more people I know that dislike Yoshi and call it annoying

LeftyGreenMario said:
I don't know if I said the same about Mario, but Asterix gave me strong Mario vibes and the Gaul guy came first.

Good thing I wasn't talking about Mario specifically :P

Besides the 2 still have their fair share of differences.

yeah, but I myself said Mario isn't generic, but Asterix isn't generic either

of course they have their share of differences; I like how both are portrayed as small and take advantage of their enemies' weaknesses. Though it's not like Bowser has taken over vast swathes of land and Mushroom Kingdom is a small, stubborn holdout, and Mario doesn't have a humongous nice simpleton for a friend.

My favorite characters are

Peach - She's pretty and hot. She's a kind lady. She needs to be playable in more mainline platformers. Peach needs a lot of love for being handy in certain games such as in Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars, and her own game. Her floating and healing abilities are quite handy. I think the hate she's getting is a bit over exaggerated and a bit ridiculous. I mean yeah she's the damsel in distress and is useless for 90% of the time, but she's useful in some games like I've stated as well as Super Mario 3D World and I like her in those games. She hasn't done anything bad. I don't like Peach being the damsel in distress anymore. I think it is stupid and it is boring when she could be playable. She's awesome when she's playable. In Super Mario Bros. 3, she sends you power-ups until she gets captured. I don't care if people think she sucks as a ruler of a kingdom and being able to protect her kingdom, and being able to defend it. I also don't care if Peach is the slowest character in SMB2 or 3D World (I didn't find her that slow), I also don't care if Peach is dependent on Mario for most of the time. Yeah, big deal. In other games, like Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Daisy - She's also good. I love her double jump in Super Mario Run.

Rosalina (except for Super Mario 3D World) - She's interesting because of her storyline.

Lumas - They are very cute and squeaky.

Toadette - She's very adorable and one of the best Toads ever.

Least Favorite

Baby Rosalina - Her existence really bothers me.

Peachette - She's dumb and out of place. But I have to be thankful that she's the closest thing to a playable Peach with a pint of Daisy in it in New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe until Peach and Daisy themselves are playable in a NSMB Switch after this port or a new 2D Mario title.

Neutral

Mario - I like him a bit. He's the Mickey Mouse of games and of Nintendo as Miyamoto said.

Luigi - I like him a little.

The babies - I like them in their own timelines.

Waluigi - He's pretty funny.

Anything unlisted, I am undecided on.

Faves: Kamek, because I think his lines are funny and he's got lots of personality. Mario and Luigi because they are darlings and awesome.
Then there are many other characters I also like such as Peach, Toad, Rosalina etc.
Least faves: Lakitu, I just can't stand him. The hammer bros are also really annoying and adds nothing for me.

Favorites: Peach, Donkey Kong, King Boo, Petey Piranha, Pink Gold Peach, Rosalina, Toadsworth, Toadette, Toad, and by extension if DK characters can be included, King K. Rool, Tiny Kong, Lanky Kong and Chunky Kong.

Least favorite: Fuzzy and Baby Rosalina

My favorite one in terms of an actual character, is probably Mallow. He's cool, and pretty cute, and had the most complete story in Mario Rpg. Never got why people liked Geno more. Like he wasn't bad, from what little dialogue we got he was pretty cool, and the concept behind him is rad, but Mallow is just so much better and is undoubtedly the heart of the game.
Mario :mario:& Luigi:luigi: (just the sound of their name make me queezy :bowser:) are probably my faves overall, though, since I have so many good memories playing as them, and they're just really nice, and have a cute brotherly dynamic.
Leas Favorite: Probably Unagi. I think that thing single handedly made me afraid of sea creatures. It's kind of funny looking back on it. I miss back when I was little and was easily scared, by silly small stuff. I remember my sister (she's older then me and also grew up with SM64 before I did) telling me about how scary the water level was and being afraid of it, but somehow never noticing the door to Jolly Roger Bay. Once I did, and saw the water themed area along with the painting I knew exactly what it was. I was scared of whatever was about to come next and asked my sister to come and see it. Once we beat the first star, we all agreed the eel was scary and wanted not to see it ever again. She then said that she hoped the next star had nothing to do with that eel. Only to see the next star's name as "Can An Eel Come Out To Play" with impeccable comedic timing.

Ok so screwing what I said about development earlier here, I may now declare Wario, Mario and Bowser my favorites. They're fun and the ones that make me consistently laugh the most. Wario's got a hilarious backstory in that old Mario vs Wario comic.

Yes Waluigi's very cool too, but not as much. Same for Luigi and DK.

Peach is ok. She does what she does well enough. So is Yoshi even if his voice is irritating and his older design is better.

I'm gonna have to agree Dimentio is overrated and his design clashes with that of the main cast. Cackletta wipes the floor with him too. Far funnier and entertaining character.

Daisy still sucks for me, but I don't hate her.

Dimentio clashing with the rest of the cast isn't a fair argument when his whole game clashes with the rest of the series. Not that I'm defending him but yeah, consider this.

ok so my top two in order(though theyre SUPER close together in how much i like them) is luigi and mario. no doubt. prob my favorite fictional characters in general at this point
i have like a billion other favorites so imma just repost this list from my . mario wiki page hDFGHLKN
others i love very much are, lemmy, cappy, yoshi, every single toad and especially toadette!
and theres still many others i love a lot! like: orbulon, waluigi, petey, kinopio-kun, red warioware, diddy and funky and cranky, all the koopalings, bowser and bowser jr, tiara, fronk, goombario and goombaria and goombella, pauline, captain syrup, nabbit, partrick, for some reason stanley, among many others. i cant say i dislike anyone either.
as for species i really love dry bones, goombas with the variants, rexes, biddybuds, viruses, sledge bros, LOTS of other enemies, again toads, then we have bonneters, tostarenans, volbonans, shiverians i love the locals in odyssey.. of course many more species i really love too! and oh yeah cant forget baby yoshis!
uh oh thats a lot! anyway... imagine having least favorites

I have a hard time deciding this but let's say I have to choose.

Favourite - Count Bleck - refer to https://www.thetoptens.com/l/#333397/MiracleDinner

Least Favourite - Don't really have one, but if I have to choose - Marilyn - refer to https://www.marioboards.com/threads/41858/post-2116733

I'm gonna have to agree Dimentio is overrated and his design clashes with that of the main cast. Cackletta wipes the floor with him too. Far funnier and entertaining character.
I don't get what you mean by this or why you think it's a flaw with his design. I've always seen him as being a positively very unique character even in one of the most unique Mario games. He's probably THE most evil Mario villain we've been given, and the way his role gets built up discretely before what truly is the Ultimate Show is unforgettable. If you ask me I'd much rather save every dimension in existence from a psychopathic magic jester than use a bunch of flashy stickers to stop a silent Bowser yet again.

As for Cackletta, she was good to, but didn't really have all that much to her. She just wanted to take over the world in a pretty stereotypical way, and was overconfident just like we saw with a lot of other Mario villains, thinking she'd easily defeat Mario and Luigi but they defeated her. The thing with Bowletta was great, but personality wise she didn't really change, she just threatened them and predictably betrayed this offer, and when you get to the Great Bowser Castle Door it's basically the same thing again in that she thought she was invincible but was then all like "How could I lose" and then dissappeared forever. The trickery in the final boss was actually well played though. Cackletta's not at all a bad villain per se, she's even my 15th favourite Mario character, but I wouldn't put her as the best Mario RPG villain or anything close, subjectively or objectively.

Dimentio clashing with the rest of the cast isn't a fair argument when his whole game clashes with the rest of the series. Not that I'm defending him but yeah, consider this.
SPM was never meant to be like the other games in the series. If you ask me it's an excellent game in its own which just unfortunately ended up in a position such that many people would hate it for not being similar enough to its predecessors. Personally I finished it years before I even knew the others existed, so yeah. I think it was intended that a lot of its audience would be kids who were getting the Wii as their first console, didn't really know about the first two, and weren't really into deep RPG stuff, that was me back then. But it still has the epic feel that Paper Mario had at the time, so fans of the first two could still admire it, sadly not all of them did in the end.

Thinking about it now though the battle system is the only way in which it really goes against the previous games. PM64 feels very much like a Mario game but still a very unique one at that and when we went to TTYD it was even more special which was well recieved. SPM's story, characters, presentation, etc. just felt like the next logical step up from there and I'm glad to say it pulled this off well. Overall it feels like an epic PM game at least as much as the first two. The field gameplay also feels a huge step up. In TTYD and PM64 jumps and partner abilities felt kind of weak and you were just collecting stuff and interacting with objects in a way that didn't really feel all that fulfilling but SPM is a much more involved experience with flipping mechanic, 12 different Pixl powers, 4 character powers, all sorts of clever puzzles (despite some not so clever ones), all in all when you compare SPM's field gameplay to that of TTYD, I'd say it makes more upgrades than downgrades. So the battle system is the only serious loss in SPM from TTYD I'd say.

Last edited:
It's fine to like SPM, but you don't have to go out of your way to quote old posts just to tell people why SPM and it's character are objectively good.

Back