Favorite and least favorite Mario characters

The franchise is just a propaganda orchestrated by Peach, everyone knows that. You can ask the tinfoil hat Mario fans over there they know it all.

I don't hate Toads myself, just a slight dislike. I just don't want all of the awesome diversity, uniqueness, and coolness of MaRPG exclusive characters to be replaced by just Toads, especially if those Toads aren't at least going to be interesting.

I blame the amount of toad usage on them only knowing about toads.

I also wouldn't say that Mario rpg characters are unique either, whether they are cool or not though I won't argue as thats entirely opinion oriented.

It's not like Shelltops were a real step above Toads. In fact they're even more boring.

flip flop folk are probably one of the most boring npcs in the mario series, period.

I think Toads are supposed to be the dominant demographic of, uh, I dunno, the MUSHROOM Kingdom?

Sure it doesn't have to just be populated with them but I mean it's their goddamn home.

i think what people mean is that they would also like to see unique toad characters again like russ t. or tayce t. or whatever rather than have the same toad design copy and pasted ad infinitum but with palette swaps. hell, shroomlock and mr. e from mario party advance were pretty neat toad characters that had unique body shapes and facial features as well. even the super mario bros. cartoon had a nice variety of toad designs.

Yeah, I can't argue against that. But tbh I still think you can make toads with generic designs work, not that I'm advocating for having everyone look the same, mind you, but there are more ways to make a character memorable or likable other than just what they look like.

unique design helps add to their appeal, it's polish and it shows care in world-building, and the sum of the character is worth more than their parts. imagine in, say, fire emblem, all npcs kept their personality, but had the exact same design, just are recolors.

unique design and memorable personality work with each other, you can't have a good character without either, though i do agree that personality helps carry its weight around a bit more than design.

You can definitely have a good character with a generic design, however when they do that said character is usually the only one around.

Besides when it comes to the average npcs, I don't care much what they look like as I barely pay any attention to them. It's only for significant characters where it might bother me.

For all the weird and ridiculous varieties mushrooms can come in in real life, it's kind of a shame that Toads don't come in a similar diversity.

Even the other Mushrooms in Mario's world don't get super crazy, huh.

unique design helps add to their appeal, it's polish and it shows care in world-building, and the sum of the character is worth more than their parts. imagine in, say, fire emblem, all npcs kept their personality, but had the exact same design, just are recolors.

unique design and memorable personality work with each other, you can't have a good character without either, though i do agree that personality helps carry its weight around a bit more than design.

It depends on what kind of FE NPCs you're talking about. Almost every character you meet is playable, so that only leaves the villains and either green units or story characters. For story characters tho, I agree, because you kinda need someone that looks like they have some significance. For green units tho, you can have a bunch of generic soldiers, so you gotta specify when you talk to me about this.

sorry, i picked fire emblem only because you're familiar with it and because it has strong characterization, i don't know too much about it myself and it clearly shows.

It's ok, I get your point. Very first game had many of your own playable units actually have the same exact portrait. Like not even just recolors, some just looked exactly alike. Doesn't help that most characters who aren't important to that game's story never talk unless they're on their last breath, and even then it's things like "Forgive me". Thank god the series has immensely stepped up its characterization since. Hell, if Paper Mario fans knew about that they'd be somewhat happy that their series didn't start out like that.

Count Bleck is still my most disliked badguy in the franchise.

Hey you can like him all you want. I can't stand him.

Back