The Ultimate Mario Face-Off!!! (Division 4, Round 4)

Re: The Ultimate Mario Face-Off!!!

My personal best memories are from Mario Kart DS. I enjoy modding Mario Kart 8 but I still don't think it can compare to the memories I've had with DS, playing on road trips and such. I'm probably nostalgia-biased (and with the 3D Mario games, Odyssey finally managed to become my favorite despite heavy 64 and Galaxy nostalgia), but Mario Kart games have mostly been similar in quality so that makes the nostalgia give it the edge.

It's hard to decide since Mario Kart DS and Wii are both great, but I finally chose DS, as it has some unique features and characters (to be more specific: Mission Mode and R.O.B). Mario Kart Wii is still great, though.

And, with 3D games I chose Super Mario 64, more for the DS remake than for the original. Although it isn't in my list of favorites, it's an awesome game I still enjoy to play.

Also, Super Mario 64 DS's models look way better than the ones from Mario Kart DS. I mean, Nintendo could make decent models instead of that crap (yes, I'm talking about you, Donkey Kong).

Mario Kart 8.

It has the most tracks in the series and the most kart variety. The Deluxe version has a fleshed out battle mode. It also looks the best in the series. I can't say Double Dash because it's very barebones, and in single player, you're really out of luck. Mario Kart 7 has the best battle mode in the series, but it's let down by the lack of a VS mode and the multiplayer is wretched, just being online slapped in there with obnoxious timers and also extremely restricted download play. Mario Kart 8 is let down by putting a timer in VS mode tracks (seriously, what?) and a bad battle mode, but Deluxe improved on it (though they kept the brake slide U-turn thing, which is a really bad idea).

Mario Kart 8/Deluxe

Being one of the Mario Kart games I ever played, and one of the two I own, I thought it was way better than MKWii, mainly because of the controls (I kinda hated tilt controls now that I think about it), but also just because of how it looks and the happiness one feels playing it. Other than that, I remember playing Mario Kart DS on a friend's DS, and it was cool, but it wasn’t unforgettable.

Mario Kart Wii

I’m going to summarise a few features of this game:

Vehicles: Each vehicle feels and plays differently, creating a variety of different vehicles to choose from, that are different from one another. Bikes don’t help this either, as each of them play differently from their Kart counterparts.

Roster: I consider this game to have best roster. Having all of the characters I consider to be essential to the roster, alongside a few extras and little to no filler (Baby Daisy and possibly Dry Bowser).

Tracks: Unlike MK8 where there’s only one way to play a track, Mario Kart Wii has an impossibly high skill ceiling which means I’m constantly learning new strategies to play tracks faster. This game also holds some of my favourite tracks in the series (Toad’s Factory and DK’s Snowboard Cross) so that’s a plus.

Wii
the funnest and most intense times i've ever had in mario kart was when racing against 8 other people online who were all using flame runners and mach bikes
havent quite had such an experience since

Mario Kart 8/Deluxe won this round! I forgot to mention, but the arcade games will be decided on a later date! The second place was tied between DS and Wii; and SMK, MK64, MKSC, and MK7 all had no votes.

This next poll is for the best mainstream Mario Party game. The handheld and arcade games will be decided later. Voting will start shortly and end Friday night!

800px-SnowflakeLake-Snowball.png
799px-BlooperScooper.png
799px-SnowSmashBrawl.png

799px-ConveyorBoltNight.png
799px-Wario_Crates_Peril_6.png
799px-StrawberryShortfuse.png

799px-BlackHoleBoogie.png
800px-BlackHoleBoogieEnding.png
800px-BoodoffStageEnding.png

799px-FullTilt.png
799px-PitBooss.png
799px-DarknCrispy.png

800px-TallyUpResults.png
800px-Chain_Chomp_-_MP6.png
799px-Swim_Or_Sink_Day_6.png

R6SIJLU.png

6uaIW7H.png

While Mario Party 6 is undoubtedly the most definitive Mario Party yet, with very well-designed boards, an item system that compliments it, a huge variety of minigames, great solo game modes, very personable hosts and a very coherent theme, I am going to vote for the first Mario Party game that fit the descriptions I used for Mario Party 6's strengths: Mario Party 3. That's mainly because it did those thing first, and I think it deserves credit for doing them.

It appears that I didn't manage to vote for Mario Kart, but if I were to vote, I will agree with everybody and choose Mario Kart 8 (and Deluxe) because it has the most tracks between classic and modern, and has the features that were standard in past Mario Kart games save for Mission Mode. That is undoubtedly the best one yet.

Thank you for reading.

Somebody say Mario Party?

I voted 8. It was the first one I owned so it's where I learned the basic structure of the series (ironically 8 was the last one to use said structure, but I haven't played the ones after it and am not really interested to)

I am even less qualified to vote in this one then I was with the 2D platformer one. It's funny how MP8 is winning most likely only because most people have only played it or almost only it. ;)

Amiiboo said:
sorry cant vote this one, have not played a console MP.
Hmm...well, you have The Top 100, right? If you haven’t played one of the console games, you may want to base it off your favorite minigame in that game.

Let’s say for a moment that your favorite minigame in MP100 is Coney Island. If that were true, you could say your favorite is MP5, the game that originally contained Coney Island. Similarly, if your favorite is Dizzy Rotisserie, you could vote MP6. If Speeding Bullets is your favorite, you could vote MP9. If Shy Guy Says is your favorite, you could vote MP1.

If you don’t know where your favorite minigame came from, you can find out by selecting that minigame in 100 Minigames mode.

I'm surprised by the results so far. I was under the impression that Mario Party 8 was the worst of the pre-Mario Party 9 Mario Parties. I can even say why it's so disliked, even for Mario Party.

FYI, I voted 8. Most critics say it’s the worst console MP; I say different. Here are my main reasons for voting 8:
  • It was my first MP, so nostalgia is a factor in my choice.
  • I’ve only played Mario Parties 8, 9, and 10. MP9 stinks, and MP10 is mediocre. I kind of have to say 8 is my favorite.
  • The original gameplay style is superior to the new one.
  • The minigames are fantastic, especially Spector Inspector (my all-time favorite minigame), Aim of the Game, and Cardiators.
  • The final boss, despite being super-easy, is actually pretty fun.
  • I like MC Ballyhoo, primarily because he’s so creepy.
  • This is the first (and currently only) Mario game where Blooper is playable.
  • It’s cool to see Thwomp riding a motorbike, even though he has no limbs. Honestly, watching Thwomp ride a motorbike is crazier than seeing Boo kick a soccer ball.

I voted for Mario Party 6. I like the Day/Night system, and the minigames. This game's boards are all fun to play. I played almost all Mario Party games and it's the one I enjoy the most.

I've played the previous Mario Party games. I can say what Mario Party 8 isn't good at

-Inconsistent frame rates; 30 FPS during boards, 60 FPS in minigames; Duel Candy particle effects lead to a notable FPS drop, and beating someone at a duel leads to a loading screen (every other minigame doesn't seem to create a loading screen).
-Minigames are the weakest in the series. Motion controls lead to pretty lackluster minigames including Flip the Chimp, Crank to Rank, Treacherous Tightrope, Sugar Rush, Shake it Up. Many minigames lose out on potential interesting control schemes, a fair bunch just you playing with the Wii Remote on its side. Rudder Madness is also a terrible minigame.
-Minigame mode does not let anyone besides player 1 duel with anyone not named player 1.
-Strange lack of widescreen support.
-No nunchuk support.
-Gimmicky boards like King Boo's entirely luck-based gimmick and Goomba's Booty Boardwalk's free stars.
-Too many opportunities to get free Stars; Lucky Space and Donkey Kong space are primary offenders. In previous Mario Parties, DK can either let you (and/or other players) play a DK minigame that let you earn coins, let you get a DK bonus where you hit a Dice Barrel for a reward, ranging from coins to a star, or let you play a dice-rolling minigame where you can win a star if you roll higher than DK.
-Bowser space doesn't let to Bowser Bonus, Bowser minigame, Bowser Revolution; it leads only to a bad event.
-Forcing players to go through single-player mode twice to unlock the two characters, the second one being you having to use the unlocked character to guarantee the unlockable character to spawn at the last map.
-Candy system is all right, but loses out to Orbs. Orbs, while also powering you up, can also let you lay traps. Orbs also offer more variety than candy and are much more rewarding. Transformations from candy are cool, though.
-Dueling is lackluster; leftover from Mario Party 7's roulette. Mario Party 5 and 6 let you make a wager between stars and coins. In previous Mario Party games, you can duel by landing on a duel space, or if in the last 5 turns, you land on the same space as another person. Here, you have to consume a Duelo Candy and hope you roll high enough.
-Up until Mario Party 7, you can set matches to be CPU only.
-Last Five Turns in Mario Party is far less predictable; in previous Mario Parties, the last-place player/team hits a roulette that ranges from multiplying space effects (like triple coins you earn/lose on blue and red spaces or rewarding last place with 40 coins or turning all Red Spaces to Bowser/Fortune Spaces).
-What Battle minigame you play is determined by Roulette. In previous titles players vote for the minigame (5, 6, 7). Mario Party 4, there is a Battle Space and the person who lands on it picks one of two randomly selected minigames.
-I liked the UI in the previous games more.

But hey, no Fortune Space.

I voted 9 for several reasons:
1. I personally quite like the car mechanic, and I think that it's handled far better here than in 10. The boards in 10 all seem too short and it's over far too fast, whereas I feel the boards are the perfect length here.
2. Building on the boards, I like their unique styles and gimmicks and the scenery's pretty good as well.
3. The character roster's pretty good as well, I would only complain about the lack of Toadette, Dry Bones and Boo, but I like the addition of Kamek and especially Shy Guy.
4. The minigames are particularly enjoyable. You have a few duds in there like Twist Ending, Pit or Platter and Bowser Jr. Breakdown, but they're generally fun and have a good range of controls. And I still find the name of Pizza Me, Mario funny.
5. I also like the different minigame modes, like Garden Battle, Step It Up and Choice Challenge. The Boss Rush mode is quite good too, despite some of the dodgy Boss Minigames.
6. I also quite like the music in 9.

All right, Mario Party 8 won this round, with 4 votes! MP6 was a close second, with 3 votes. Mario Parties 4, 5, and 7 all took last place with no votes, and all the others got one vote each.

The next poll is for best handheld Mario Party game! This includes Mario Party-e, Advance, DS, Island Tour, Star Rush, and Top 100. Voting ends Saturday evening!

Re: The Ultimate Mario Face-Off!!! (Division 3, Round 2)

I haven't played any of the handheld ones except Advance, and while it was admirable in the character interaction department, GBA wasn't advanced enough (contrary to the name) for a Mario Party game and Advance proved it by requiring the traditional board gameplay to use a physical board. Which I didn't have since I bought the cartridge used from a local game store. So I can't vote here unfortunately.

Back