The Ultimate Mario Face-Off!!! (Division 4, Round 4)

Re: The Ultimate Mario Face-Off!!! (Division 4, Round 3)

Whichever one takes place in Russia

I played Vancouver for the 3DS, it isn't all that bad, actually. Though like in all Mario & Sonic titles, the Dream Events are pretty much the only things that matter. London for Wii also had pretty good Dream Events too, with Dream Fencing and Dream Hurdles.

The one with the really long and stupid storyline.

2010 Winter Games, because I'm incredibly nostalgic for that game.

Get ready for the ultimate BUMP! I let this thing die for over 6 months and I can't believe it. But while I'm waiting for the mods to reset the poll, I'd like to ask: since this thread died before the Super Mario Party announcement, should we redo the console Mario Party poll or move on to Mario Tennis?

I know I'm late for this, but my favorite Mario & Sonic game is the London 2012 Olympic Games (Wii). I had so much fun playing that game in the past. I love London Party and its minigames; this mode is the reason why I had so much fun with the game. It also probably has the best events and dream events in the series.

The rest of the Mario & Sonic games weren't very fun and I got bored of them quickly. :/

All right, I would like to announce that, unless anyone has objections, we will be redoing the console Mario Party round starting tomorrow morning! Feel free to post about how the game you originally chose compares to Super.

Mario's Drunken Holiday Special said:
they're all bad

You can ice skate as Bowser in one of them.

I'm not qualified to vote in this one btw.

Jack Black said:
2010 Winter Games, because I'm incredibly nostalgic for that game.
Replayed through this one, and it's actually bearable to play unlike 2012.

Saltman said:
You can ice skate as Bowser in one of them.

I'm not qualified to vote in this one btw.
It would be nice if there was an actual competition going on, rather than have you beat a bunch of numbers next to some .dds of random characters. All games suffer a problem from giving you randomized opponents, a rather big problem. There's also the issue of a stagnant roster despite the game being a freaking crossover. The only things the games have are nice models and a pretty good soundtrack.

Poll is up, vote for your favorite Mario Tennis game! Deadline is next Thursday (I kinda messed up when setting the deadline but I hope to have that fixed soon).

Also Mario Party 8 won the last round, with 3 out of 4 votes (the last vote went to Super).

The one where Waluigi and Wario get to vandalize Mario and Luigi's pictures.

But honestly, Mario Power Tennis remains the best Mario Tennis. It has a bigass opening cutscene that can fit well in a TV show, bloopers for said cutscene as a reward for being a tournament. The tournament has a trophy winning scene where it's always a pleasure to watch. Playing tournaments rewards your character too, as it unlocks a star variant that increases your character's power.

It's also the last game to have item battles. It's playing tennis but with a Mario Kart twist.

It also is one of the last games to have any sort of record-keeping. It gives you some incentive to play through the exhibition mode and murder those ace computers, and it gives some replay value that you'd completely lose if there aren't records.

The only thing Mario Power Tennis is lagging in is in the gameplay as the ball feels really sluggish and nailing nice serves just won't do anything. The power shots are pretty much hit or miss, but they end up really slowing down the gameplay sometimes. It's also really dated looking, as the shaders in this game did NOT age well. Why the hell are characters so shiny? Character balance is all over the place too. I don't really see value for Petey Piranha or Waluigi while you get Paratroopa whose lunge covers, like, an entire court, and lunges don't punish you as heavily as it does in the later games, and the game kind of sucks when you're playing 2 v 2 and the ai loves to lob spam you, where you also don't really get penalized for lobbing as you do in the later games. Oh, and Mario is aggressively mediocre like he usually is, though his offensive power shot is pretty fantastic as it practically negates the pushing from incoming offensive power shots.

Anyhow, Mario Power Tennis also lets you change controls too, so you can actually disable auto-lunge, but you also are prone to missing your offensive power shots (which, again, I didn't even believe was feasible until I watched a video of Mario actually missing the ball with his offensive power shot).

Mario Power Tennis also has actual match making settings, unlike Aces, and its stage selection isn't absolutely retarded as it is in Aces.

And finally, you can turn off the music in that game, but I think you can do it too in Aces.

The roster is pretty good though Mario Tennis Aces rivals it now. I miss Wiggler.

I guess my favorite tennis game is Mario Tennis Aces. It has the best character roster out of all the games, and I really like the courts.

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is second, because I had a lot of fun playing this game with my cousin. We'd always play doubles matches against CPUs in Mega Battle, and it was really fun.

Tennis Open and Power Tennis are meh, and I've never played 64.

It's a tie between Power Tennis and Aces.

Power Tennis has been for the longest time the best game in the series but Aces has surpassed it in so many levels.

Ultra Smash sucks ass as the AVGN would say. It's the worst Mario Tennis of all time because it was a rushed disappointing mess of a game. It had the potential to be a good game but Nintendo fucked it up so badly by making Camelot rush the game out the door before it was completed. As it stands, I didn't enjoy the game as much because of how severely lacking it is and I don't really like it that much. It's a new low for Mario games. It defies Miyamoto's statement of "a delayed game is eventually good but a rushed game is forever bad". As it stands, it's a game that will be forever bad because Nintendo didn't bother to fix it up. This game has been left in the dust and a good chunk of its elements are reused in Aces such as some animations and whatnot.

Aces is basically an Ultra Smash Second Edition which fixes Ultra Smash to make it be on par with Power Tennis. It's a superior game and regularly receives content which Ultra Smash didn't get sadly.

Mario Tennis Open was the Mario Tennis I sunken the most hours into quite fondly, but a huge reason for that was that Mario Tennis Open has a playable Baby Mario. Mario Power Tennis doesn't. Neither does Aces (well we'll see about that but even Baby Mario alone won't save Mario Tennis Aces because that game lacks a crucial amount of features). My second favorite would be the Tennis variant from Mario Sports Superstars gameplay wise but again, that's because it had Baby Luigi playable, while the others don't.

Ultra Smash even has some edge over Power Tennis because it gave me a playable Toadette (that's the only credit I'll give it hahaha)

I can't get myself to like Mario Power Tennis all that much. I don't have a "main" in that game so to speak of and games without characters I gravitate towards to spend less play time from me, like what ultimately happened to Super Mario Party. I like Boo, yeah, but she can't carry the game by herself as far as I'm concerned.

Me wonders if people are voting the gamecube version of Mario Power Tennis or the Wii one. The Wii version supposedly has bad controls.

Back