Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Re: Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo Switch

I really don't think it's a port because 1. They didn't show gameplay, and they would have had no reason to not show it if it was a port, 2. Link has his BOTW design, and 3. The logo doesn't look like the Smash 4 logo. I feel like they would have said if it was a port and not leave us hoping it's Smash 5 just to be disappointed. I'm willing to bet I'll be proven right at E3, so we'll see.

Obviously port vs. new game is going to be a big debate until we get more details on the game.

However, what I personally think it will be a hybrid between the two. What I mean by that is in terms of engine, and a good majority of, if not all of the Smash 4 characters will return. If it was a fully 100% new game, that'd mean this game was in development at the same time DLC for Smash 4 was being made which would be rather odd.

It will however be at least marketed and probably treated at least by Sakurai as a completely new game even if it may be obvious that it transfers alot over from Smash 4. And I'm sure a good amount of new features I'm sure. Sakurai thinks of the 3DS and Wii U versions as Smash 4 and 5 respectively so with Sakurai on board. Sakurai will treat this like it's Smash 6

Though one thing that could decide if it leans toward one or the other is believe it or not Amiibos. If for the most part they mainly resell the Amiibos and use the same artwork from Smash 4 then that leans more to a port situation. But if they make an entirely new Smash line making all new amiibos with characters in new poses. Then that might be something that definitely leans more to being a new game.

This is all speculation since really the only real information we have is a few obvious returnees and the Inklings as Newcomers. But it'll be interesting for sure. Either way, I'm excite.

As long as Sonic returns, I'm generally good. But I have little-to-no worries there.

I have a feeling it'll be a hybrid of a port and "new game experience update" for Smash 4. The engine and most of the characters will probably remain the same, but we'll be getting new modes, stages and characters for sure (fingers crossed for Sephiroth!butfirstmakesurethatcloudiscomingbackok), and some veterans like Link will be updated slightly. I highly doubt it'll be a completely changed game with a new engine, it's too soon for that.

Northern Verve said:
Obviously port vs. new game is going to be a big debate until we get more details on the game.

However, what I personally think it will be a hybrid between the two. What I mean by that is in terms of engine, and a good majority of, if not all of the Smash 4 characters will return. If it was a fully 100% new game, that'd mean this game was in development at the same time DLC for Smash 4 was being made which would be rather odd.

It will however be at least marketed and probably treated at least by Sakurai as a completely new game even if it may be obvious that it transfers alot over from Smash 4. And I'm sure a good amount of new features I'm sure. Sakurai thinks of the 3DS and Wii U versions as Smash 4 and 5 respectively so with Sakurai on board. Sakurai will treat this like it's Smash 6

Though one thing that could decide if it leans toward one or the other is believe it or not Amiibos. If for the most part they mainly resell the Amiibos and use the same artwork from Smash 4 then that leans more to a port situation. But if they make an entirely new Smash line making all new amiibos with characters in new poses. Then that might be something that definitely leans more to being a new game.

This is all speculation since really the only real information we have is a few obvious returnees and the Inklings as Newcomers. But it'll be interesting for sure. Either way, I'm excite.

As long as Sonic returns, I'm generally good. But I have little-to-no worries there.

The amiibo situation would be really interesting to see. Would the BOTW Link with Master Sword be marketed as "Link Player 2" or be part of a new Smash line? Will they just restock old Smash 4 amiibos, put them in new packaging and create new variants, or just create new amiibo entirely? Either way I love my amiibo collection and really don't want to see it become outdated.

Oops, I thought this thread didn’t exist.

This looks cool, but we haven’t seen too much of the game yet. But I would still buy because come on. I got expectations for that one.

Richard Petty Motorsports said:
ridley is still too big for smash

Oh dear LORD! People started up the Ridley memes again! Honestly as a Metroid fan I would love to see Ridley added and get more recognition (and a sweet amiibo), but am not a fan of how overzealous his and K. Rool's fanbases got during Smash 4 hype.

Every time I see Ridley as a playable character in Smash fan games/mods, idk, he looks awkward and dumb to me.

I mean, I'm not opposed to it because more playable characters is always a good thing, but I perfectly understand why the devs wouldn't want to put him in.

That was an absolutely incredible trailer, god bless the inclusion of Inking and Wild Link.

Is it too early for character speculation? Oh hell no.

-The return of Ice Climbers is one I'm highly anticipating.
-Expecting a new Odyssey rep. Not entirely sure who, Cappy would be the obvious choice but I can't see how a capture mechanic could be implimented, so we'll have to see.
-New Donkey Kong rep! With Tropical Freeze coming to Switch, it's high time. Leaning towards Dixie for this one.
-Most likely a new Fire Emblem character, but haven't followed the recent ones enough to have any clue who.
-New Kirby character in the form of Bandanna Dee. He's now a reoccurring character in the Kirby series, and Star Allies may push him forward.
-An old IP reboot is basically guaranteed, leaning towards Balloon Fighter or Urban Champion to fill it.
-New Pokemon... Maybe. I'd say Decidueye if any, but the ones from 4 feel comfortable. If they were to kick any, it'd most likely be Greninja.
-A primarily Switch based-character is unlikely. The only ones that come to mind are Snip and Clip from Snipperclips, and even then I'm unsure what they could do with them. But you never know.
-Spring Man/Ribbon Girl are certainly possibilities, but I'm not sure if ARMS is successful enough to merit their inclusion.
-Third-party! With the Mario & Rabbids release, anticipating Rayman. Crash is a possibility, though I'm not entirely expecting it. An indie character would be incredible to include, especially with the Switch's push for indie games. If any, hoping for Shovel Knight, but I'm not letting myself get too hyped again after Smash Ballot.

EDIT: I forgot Metroid! Definitely expecting a new rep, especially with Prime 4 on the horizon. Perhaps a hunter from the Prime series? Maybe Ridley, though not expecting him.

This game would let me have at least one game of the franchise.

guys there's going to be a splat stage with awesome squid music

Another reason I think this game is Smash 5 rather than a port:
DXztWehXcAA7uZa.jpg

HAL didn't work on Smash 4 afaik, and Bandai Namco and Sora, who both worked on Smash 4, are not mentioned at all.

if you look at trailers for smash 4, you'll see it says the same thing despite hal having no involvement in it
i'm pretty sure its there to refer to smash 64, like in a "oh these are the guys who made the original concept/gameplay of smash" kind of way, hence why it says 'original game' seeing as 64 was the original smash

GalacticPetey said:
hNxaPJ7.png

Some guesses on the silhouettes. I'm probably wrong on a lot of these.
I think it’s the Ice Climbers, not Peach.

Perhaps I'm holding onto false hope, but I thought the same.

DX1LQclUMAAXnyS.jpg

From Nintendo's press release, guess that settles things.
I just hope Sakurai doesn't stress himself too hard again, a man shouldn't be near death just for directly a video game.

Can we have Daisy? Please? As a separate character?

I wonder which character will not make it in this installment.

Hopefully not most of the 3rd Party characters.

I'm excited but I don't want six anime swordfighters to join the roster yet again. Crash Bandicoot would be a nice addition. Wario Land has to receive more representation, although I doubt this.

Baby Luigi said:
Every time I see Ridley as a playable character in Smash fan games/mods, idk, he looks awkward and dumb to me.
I feel the same about Geno, Fawful, and Dimentio in game mods and rosters.

Super Radio said:
I'm excited but I don't want six anime swordfighters to join the roster yet again. Crash Bandicoot would be a nice addition. Wario Land has to receive more representation, although I doubt this.
To be honest, I'd be sooooo in for Llyod Irving, who is very anime and very swordy.

I also like to see Squirtle and Ivysaur return, but not begging for it.

I wish developers can announce outright who's NOT in and let it blow over early. Ice Climbers were a special case, though.

Finally, I kinda wish Smash was more ridiculous and cartoony, not give us a trailer where everyone the Inklings face look like serial killers. Nevertheless, the way Mario is highlighted like this under a demonic-like sun, it cracks me up.

Quite the generalisation I made. Lloyd Irving isn't just a reskin of FE characters so it's ok.

What bothered me the most about Smash 4 was how there was so much emphasis on advertising (at the time) new games like FE and Bayonetta and less emphasis on the history of gaming, which should be Smash's target to champion. The game isn't just a big crossover--I mean, yeah thanks, there are many Smash knock-offs out there-- it's a story and evolution told through characters. As I said before, so much Wario Land stuff was left out, and that's just one thing with underrepresentation. Why though?

Back