Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Re: Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo Switch

Out of six, though, two would be Fire Emblem reskins (Lucina almost being a literal reskin; Roy is clone who diversified a little). The rest have drastically different play styles from each other, so I think it's unfair to lump Robin with Ike. After all, we could've gotten Chrom.

Bayonetta wasn't really about advertisement though? She was more of a Smash ballot winner, though to be fair, I still doubt the results of the ballot. I don't think it's a good PR decision to release some data on the ballot, but on the other hand, the results are weird; Bayonetta isn't exactly a national gaming icon so perhaps advertisement did play some role for her too, given the big deal around Nintendo's support of Bayonetta 2. I think Smash serves as both to advertise more obscure franchises and also be an all-stars game. And Smash 4 isn't the first time it advertised Fire Emblem, it did this back with Marth and Roy (Melee's Corrin), and both were intended to be Japan-exclusive characters. So I disagree that Smash 4 was more about advertising than any previous Smash Bros. game. Not saying I like Corrin's addition in the game. Corrin seems like a vehicle to promote a game and introduce potential players to the games and an interesting play style but on his own, I can't shake the feeling he's there mainly as an advertisement.

I have a feeling that the ballot was rigged though, as I saw many many more people asking for characters like Banjo & Kazooie and K. Rool--not counting irrational choices like Shrek and Goku, ofc. Don't remember seeing Bayonetta that much but I was only casually checking the news so I may be ignorant on this.

Yeah, like you said, Smash should promote obscure or new franchises, but at the same time knit them together with more recognizable ones for an homogenous family. I know Fire Emblem has been around for years, but I didn't appreciate how so many characters from that franchise made it into the game, given how similar their overall structure is that didn't make them stand out for me as individuals, honestly. Cloud and Bayonetta may fall in the same category. I suggest a balance between cartoony and realistic. Remove one FE character and put Cranky Kong in, for example. Old and experienced but athletic, just like Yoda from Star Wars.

i'm a pretty big fe nut and i'd happily remove corrin for dixie

Regarding Fire Emblem, I know Sakurai is a fan and has been since the beginning, so it's likely he'll continue to put in characters. Sword users are getting stale, I think Marth and Ike are most likely to remain, maybe Robin due to his Fire Emblem-based mechanics. If diversity is needed, throw in some other weapon users, like Sigurd or Hector. Heck, maybe even Chrom if they let him use lances and javelins for his specials and keep his sword to standard/Smash attacks. Or if they want to go recent, replace Robin with Celica since they both use swords and magic (though differently).

Bayonetta I am incredibly iffy on. I still don't think she's the type of character for Smash, overly seductive woman and all. If Morrigan Aensland from Darkstalkers won, it'd be the same feeling. I just don't like this type of character. She's to OP as well, every fight I have with her online, regardless of whether I win or not, just isn't fun, and Smash tournaments are seeing that now too. Strange how the fans voted for her and are now complaining about her.

Super Radio said:
Lloyd Irving

I don't know much about this guy, and the only relation I have with the Tales series is through Project X Zone 2, but from what I've seen of him, he'd be pretty cool to add. I doubt it, though, considering it's yet another third-party character to add. Same deal with Sora, who is held by two properties.

The newcomer I really want to see is Golden Sun's Isaac, or at least his son Matthew. Isaac was an Assist Trophy in Brawl, but nowhere to be found in Smash 4, so I want to see him get the "Little Mac treatment" this time around. Yes, he would be another sword user, but his use of Psynergy would make for some great moves. Just look at the Project M mod that almost had him in. (I'd also be fine with Lyn from said PM mod, but eh, look at my first paragraph).

Super Radio said:
I have a feeling that the ballot was rigged though, as I saw many many more people asking for characters like Banjo & Kazooie and K. Rool--not counting irrational choices like Shrek and Goku, ofc. Don't remember seeing Bayonetta that much but I was only casually checking the news so I may be ignorant on this.

Yeah, like you said, Smash should promote obscure or new franchises, but at the same time knit them together with more recognizable ones for an homogenous family. I know Fire Emblem has been around for years, but I didn't appreciate how so many characters from that franchise made it into the game, given how similar their overall structure is that didn't make them stand out for me as individuals, honestly. Cloud and Bayonetta may fall in the same category. I suggest a balance between cartoony and realistic. Remove one FE character and put Cranky Kong in, for example. Old and experienced but athletic, just like Yoda from Star Wars.
I don't think it was rigged, it's that language that gets me though. "Realizable". It's vague and it can mean virtually anything.

About Fire Emblem characters, while their movesets are varied, I do agree they do look very homogenous next to each other. I played an 8-player match against green-colored Ike, Marth, Robin, Lucina, Corrin, and Lucina, and my goodness, they all look the same, more similar to each other than Mario is to Luigi, and those two are supposed to be twin brothers. There's more to Fire Emblem than young, caped swordspeople. IMO if we ever get a new Fire Emblem character, I like to see a mount, a pegasus-rider. Would be interesting. Or just the horse. :P But importantly, the characters won't blend in with the other caped people.

I like Bayonetta. I think she's a little off, but she's quirky enough, and if anything, her personality is a stand-out. Her playstyle being "OP" has no bearing on her merits as a character on the roster. IMO, she's more welcome to me than Corrin (considering my anti-Corrin bias). I don't think it was the same people who voted for her and then complained about her. The Smash community is huge. Chances are, they're two different hives of people and I'm willing to bet that the person who are complaining about her are those that didn't vote for her, and those that want her are content and won't need to voice their opinions or think she is overpowered.

Super Radio said:
I see talk about this a lot, but I think people fail to realize that outside of hardcore gamers, no one really cares about banjo and Kazooie. Sure, if you spend a lot of time around video games forums you'll see them come up a lot, but there are millions of others who play Smash and don't visit these kind of sites. As LGM said, Bayonetta was number 1 among "realizable" characters. The language is vague and could mean anything.

And there's nothing wrong with Bayonetta being in. Snake made it in despite being from an M rated franchise. Bayonetta has history with Nintendo, more than other 3rd party picks like the aforementioned Snake, as well as Cloud. Also she is heavily toned down from her own games. There's nothing wrong with a character being sexy. Especially a character as confident in herself as Bayonetta. She's not sex appeal for the sake of sex appeal. As for her being OP, that's on the balance team. Meta Knight was even more busted in Brawl and it's not like Sakurai cut him.

At the point Bayonetta was the ballot winner and that the franchise has a strong future on Nintendo, I don't see her going away.

I do think Banjo Kazooie are iconic enough to get a sizeable portion of votes, but they're still a niche audience, I'm afraid. On the other hand, I don't think Bayonetta is the kind of character that's instantly recognizable. She's even more niche than Banjo, in my opinion. Most of us probably didn't even know about her games until the drama of Bayonetta 2 (anecdote: I for one didn't even know there was a witch-themed game that plays like Devil May Cry, which was a game I KNOW about but I doubt Devil May Cry is the game the average Nintendo fan is familiar with either...). Even then, I don't think a lot of us were aware of the complaints people made when they found out Bayonetta 2 will be a Wii U exclusive.

And Bayonetta indeed has a history with Nintendo, a very special one I'd argue. Given Nintendo's support of Bayonetta 2 all the way, though, I feel it's a really kind gesture of them to put Bayonetta in Smash. Bayonetta is fantastic game that would've died (thanks Sega) otherwise, had Nintendo not stepped in. And even after that kind of promotion, Nintendo further put Bayonetta in their women's day PR promotion, so it seems like they care about Bayonetta. That kind of enthusiasm and support makes me genuinely happy, so in the end, maybe it's why I like Bayonetta's inclusion overall despite not being the most popular of characters.

i can be your angle... or yuor devil

w8CyNtJ.gif
64a.gif

If I don't see either Waluigi or K.Rool here, I will die.

If I had to choose only one of them, however, I just couldn't decide.

memoryman3 said:
Can we have Daisy? Please? As a separate character?

I mean what kind of moveset could she even have?

Mr. Saltman said:
memoryman3 said:

I talked about this. I won't beat a dead horse, though. So I'll talk about someone I really want in Smash yet I completely forgot to talk about ever.

Bandanna Waddle Dee. He could use Spear and Parasol, too.

That's what I was thinking!

Also maybe Toad. He's suffering in every Smash Bros under Peach's dress.

Mr. Saltman said:
If I don't see either Waluigi or K.Rool here, I will die.

If I had to choose only one of them, however, I just couldn't decide.

memoryman3 said:

I'm no fan of Daisy getting in Smash either, but "what kind of moveset would they have" is still kinda one of the dumbest arguments in Smash speculation given the past (If Sakurai thought this way, we would have never gotten characters like ROB or Wii Fit Trainer). Daisy fans have offered plenty through either the abilities she's shown in the sports series and/or thought of Super Mario Land related stuff for Daisy.

Again, I'm no Daisy supporter either. But there are better reasons why Daisy would be left out other then lack of moveset potential.

Also, while I like Waluigi too and wouldn't mind him getting in Smash. I have to admit that I think if Waluigi gets in, Daisy will too. And vice versa. They're in the same boat.

If Mega Man returns, they should use his new appearance from Mega Man 11.

We've got Link in his BotW design.

Oh my how could I forget Toad. I've been wanting him since the Brawl days.

Regarding FE characters, I especially hope they keep Robin because he represents the non-sword part of the franchise very well, as well as the player insert units, and because he's my main :yoshi:

Ike and Marth are a given, because the former has been proven to be the most popular FE character of all time, while the latter is the face of the series for Smash Bros.

Lucina and Roy are tough to gauge because theyre clones, but honestly if the game has room for both, plus more characters, then why should I complain if they return

Corrin is definitely the oddball because he was clearly put in as an advertisement for Fates, which kinda sucks since his moveset and skills are very unique

If the FE roster were to drop to Robin, Ike and Marth, plus the new FE lord from FE Switch if thats ever revealed, then I'd be satisfied assuming the new FE lord is unique enough like Corrin. Or Hector. I'd like Hector very much.

honestly, I suspect they'll be borrowing a lot of content from the Wii U and 3DS versions to make this game, but it obviously won't be a direct port. Sakurai has expressed disappointment in not being able to bring back everyone's characters in the past, so I don't expect any characters to be cut, but I'm preparing for the disappointment anyway

Weasel said:
guys there's going to be a splat stage with awesome squid music
guys the new metroid stage will most likely be from a good game

The real question though, will it be fiery?

Weasel said:
q3nfTu5.png

okay so bowser, dk, and samus are obvious

i think i spy marth and kirby too but i can't make out anything else
Is that Snake on the right of Bowser?

Do you think the inevitable Mario Odyssey stage will be in Bonneton, Fossil Falls, Tostarena, or New Donk City? These are the four kingdoms that were used in advertising Odyssey, so I imagine it'd have to be one of them.

J-Yoshi64 said:
Do you think the inevitable Mario Odyssey stage will be in Bonneton, Fossil Falls, Tostarena, or New Donk City? These are the four kingdoms that were used in advertising Odyssey, so I imagine it'd have to be one of them.
Has to be New Donk. Hub worlds are usually the stage.

Weasel said:
Weasel said:
guys there's going to be a splat stage with awesome squid music
guys the new metroid stage will most likely be from a good game
With 5 different remixes of "The Burning Lava Fish" hell yeah! They better throw in some good Prime music.

I really hope the music selection is better for some series, specifically dk, metroid and kirby.

Alex95 said:
Will my Inkling Girl amiibo finally get some use???

Well, since Nintendo have been pushing the Inklings HARD....yes. I can certainly see it.

I am more worried about the fact that Toad, Daisy and Waluigi have amiibo, but you can't train them in Smash yet.

Back