Mario Kart Tour

mario kart tour is a mutated destitute spin-off that i refuse to acknowledge as a main installment of the series.

if they're going to lump the games together, they should also include the arcade games which are more worthy of mario kart than tour is.

mario kart tour is a mutated destitute spin-off that i refuse to acknowledge as a main installment of the series.
Not only that but it is also one of the biggest fuck-ups in Nintendo's mobile history, even bigger than Dr. Mario World. It's worse than what EA has with Madden, FIFA, and whatnot.

I mean, Nintendo made the biggest mistake by making it a free to play game rather making it a paid app where you have everything just like Super Mario Run or even Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing and Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed on Mobile. It was supposed to exceed those but it didn't. It was supposed to be a great game with great controls but no, Nintendo fucked it up with micro-transactions and whatnot. They even fucked a simple concept like customizable outfits. Why have them be separate from the characters they're based on rather than have them be an option when you select them just like with Roll in Mega Man Powered Up on the goddamn PSP or Mario in Super Mario Odyssey on the Switch? And on top of that, the real life based courses should have been separate from the regular courses as a separate mode called World Tour where it would be different from Grand Prix. On top of that have Time Trials like any other Mario Kart game. These are all the areas that Mario Kart Tour fails at.

I complained a fuck ton in this thread alone. It's hard for all of us to not complain about this game. I should probably complain on GameFAQs.

Last edited:
ehhhhhhh opinions i guess.

The game is okayish ... but it's really not that great overall.

I'll stick to MK8 for a long run ... this one is just to pass sometime and do some challanges if you are into that.

The game is lolful in its aggressive monetization strategies (200cc locked behind Gold Pass, preferred characters and parts so you need to pay to have great outcomes, limit on how many coins and points for the characters and parts you can get) and the controls can get in the way a lot of times, where if you fail to tap on the center you might not be able to take tight turns, not to talk about the many times where an item is accidentally used.

There are a few ideas I think they should consider for the console games though:
- Reverse tracks, really after they removed the concept from MKDD, they finally mamaged to make them after so so many years, they are a really interesting alternative to Mirror Cup
- points system in the races, when freed from all the monetization strategies it's actually pretty neat on its own
- HUD that tells you who hit you and who you hit with your items
- Special items, although those can be a double edged sword in terms of balance

Also, Nossies are finally acknowledged as a Mario Kart staple, how convenient that we just made the page for them:bowjr:

Last edited:
Yeah, Kart Tour had some nice gameplay tweaks. I also like better that they put trailing racers on the screen too so you kind of have an idea where they're trailing you. Something that's there in a lot of other racing games.

Honestly though, even during Mario Kart 7's time, Mario Kart is starting to get super formulaic and I do hope we'll get to see major changes in the new console one.

The fact that Mario Kart Tour has reverse remixed tracks, tracks with added tweaks and mission mode are things I would really love in a console game, although for Mission Mode I would love that any character can be chosen instead of a pre-determined one.

I do wonder if they plan for any Mario Kart 8 tracks to show up in this game.

Thank you for reading.

Well, Mario Kart is a very powerful brand now (we had Mario Kart - not just Mario! - chocolate Easter Eggs in Italy this year!), so you can see it gaining a lot of recurring elements to make it easy to recognize.
What I didn't expect is that basically all the games developed directly by Nintendo since 2011 would be based on Mario Kart 7, with four games based on it we might even consider a Mario Kart 7 (series) page on the wiki! :bowjr:

@winstein thing is, Mario Kart Tour is directly based on Mario Kart 7 rather than Mario Kart 8, so it doesn't feature anti-gravity. Unsurprisingly, the only Mario Kart 8 track so far is GCN Yoshi Circuit, that doesn't freature any peculiar element of Mario Kart 8. The only Wii U track we can expect, therefore, is Wii U Super Bell Subway. That might come in a future tour.

Last edited:
The gold pass is far too expensive for too little content. 200cc should never have required a monthly fee and everything else is just extra rewards. For a whopping five dollars a month. The gold pass is probably the biggest blunder of Mario Kart Tour and that's on top of all the other monetization problems.

Yeah, Kart Tour had some nice gameplay tweaks. I also like better that they put trailing racers on the screen too so you kind of have an idea where they're trailing you. Something that's there in a lot of other racing games.

Honestly though, even during Mario Kart 7's time, Mario Kart is starting to get super formulaic and I do hope we'll get to see major changes in the new console one.

Do you have any changes in mind?

I like to see kart customization vastly expanded. Have a lot of ways to change appearance. Car games love to have you mod from a selection of many cars (thinking about GTA V). There's usually a paint job option they provide too and that there's still a lack of paint job in this one is lame.

Oh change character appearance too. Somehow. Costume changes generally like in Odyssey, people love that!

Gameplay changes would be reworking trick mechanics to make them punishable if you botch em, and giving more disadvantages to heavyweights in 150cc, maybe drift boosts are less powerful or are forced to compromise the racing line because their drifts are bad.

Rework water and gliding. Make things actually fly like in DKR.

Mario Kart is crying for a good single player as single player is completely bare bones, just racing. Put a career mode. Have Robo Mario be the staff ghost.

Idk I don't wanna get too off topic

Or creating an obsessive wikia website We Are Baby Luigi?
Just letting you know, you would have my full support if you go this route.

Moving on...

Screenshot_20191019-235654_Mario Kart.jpg

I knew the Royal Ribbon would fit Wendy like a shoe. Pink ribbons with white spots.

Royal Ribbon is the PAL name of the Birthday Girl, and while I'm in North America, I prefer the name Royal Ribbon.

Birthday Girl sounds super kitschy so I prefer that one.

To the surprise of pretty muich nobody here, the next tour is the Halloween tour, featuring Luigi (and King Boo):

the oddity is that the "tour track" seems to be DS Luigi's Mansion, which would make it the first tour not to have a new track as "tour track".

well since waluigi and Baby Luigi are left out

they'll probably get something

right?

will Baby Luigi also be invited to go into a decrepit island resort haunted by waluigi?

You can't talk about Koopa Kid without thinking dead
you can't think about dead without talking about Luigi

...the circle is closed
Baby Luigi confirmed in Mario Kart Tour

are you saying baby luigi is to restart after that circle of death

Back