Mario Kart Tour

I think Sonic & All-Stars Transformed is on mobile too, but I haven't played it and I don't know how good it controls.
I tried it, you can't transform mid race, instead the vehicle type is decided before the race. Gum is unlockable but Beat isn't even in the game? I'm pretty sure there were weird roster choices like that. I can't remember how it controls because it crashes every five seconds on my phone.

I did however, spend a ton of time in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing on mobile when I was younger, and even downloaded it a few years ago so I could replay through it. I'll be honest here, I think I prefer it to Mario Kart Tour, sure it's old, and it looks like it's old, but it controls far better then Mario Kart Tour. You can control it with motion controls or a sliding bar on the left, and you can use the brake or drift button to brake or drift. Essentially, this let you make fine adjustments to you position with the horizontal bar/motion controls, and you could do that in tandem with the drift button to perform drifts. Outside of the obvious flaw of it being a mobile game, it controlled fairly well.

I'm pretty sure it's just a port of the DS version of the game, but optimised for phones. I'm not sure if the game included microtransactions, but considering how much of a slog it was to unlock some the later tracks and characters, I'll just assume that's true. Overall it's a decent mobile game that's better then Mario Kart Tour, and I'll never be able to play again because it's "not optimised for iOS whatever". Shut up Apple, I just want to play actually good mobile racing games.

people also have valid reasons for disliking the game and have stated them as well theyre not just like.. a pack of wolves. which would imply theyre hatin on it for like no reason? and that aint true

Even if there was no gacha system, I hate the ranking system employs for the characters and vehicle parts. It heavily implies that Baby Luigi is common as dirt trash.

Even if there was no gacha system, I hate the ranking system employs for the characters and vehicle parts. It heavily implies that Baby Luigi is common as dirt trash.
Which strengths by point from my post that characters being better on certain tracks is a terrible idea since it goes against the incentive to pick your favorite character which has been in every game before.

It's even worse since you have to gamble for those characters. If you don't pay anything, chances are, you're not going to really make any progression unless you onerously grind for nearly-worthless coins (capped every day) or stop by the daily shop frequently (habit-forming rubbish they're trying to encourage).

It would make sence for a gacha system if this was their only game but they make billions a day! Billions! They can afford a free game here and their, so yeah.
Well, even "cheap" games like this one can still cost millions of dollars due to continuous development and maintenance costs (which rise as the game is kept alive day by day, by the way), and they come from the pockets of the shareholders. I don't expect everyone of them to be happy in wasting $ to give a free game to everyone.

To better contextualize, as of January 2020 this game had $86 millions of revenue and the investors still weren't too happy about it, just last month this game earned about $6 millions in revenue (oddly $4 millions from iOS and half that from Android, it really looks like a "game for the 1%" lol).

Oh, will somebody think of the shareholders and their paltry 6 million dollars in a month!!

Monty is also playable in both Baseball games.

tfw Daisy has more costumes than Luigi (no the classic recolor is not a costume)

Gonna be honest, despite having this app on my phone ever since it dropped I haven't really been all that compelled to play beyond the five or so minutes I spent in the tutorial. I like all the unique ideas it has for the various costumes and skins, but I wish it went into an actual Gacha-free Mario Kart 9 on the Switch or heck even as super-late DLC for MK8D. My feelings towards Nintendo making mobile games were already pretty mixed when they announced they were gonna start making them, but this only really sours them further.

I uninstalled mine months ago so I won't even be tempted to try it again

When I got a new phone, I didn't need to think twice about my decision to skip this game, because certain equipment and characters are required to do well, and they are basically random. Worse is that it's officially available on Malaysia's Playstore, unlike Dr. Mario World. It might just be me, but Dr. Mario World felt somewhat less jarring with how it handle the random rewards.

Thank you for reading.

Monty Mole? Why doesn't Nintendo just continue to slap me around with a rubber hose?

Back