Mario Tennis Aces

Anser said:
Well, I'm pretty disappointed about Dry Bowser being a literal copy-paste of Bowser. Same animations, same everything. Even his voice is just a slowed down version.
Sounds like he's just Bowser's version of Metal Mario and PGP from Sports Superstars.

It's like Dry Bowser is Bowser's skeleton now! What the hell man!

I don't get it they're supposed to be two separate characters!

Forde said:
It's like Dry Bowser is Bowser's skeleton now! What the hell man!

I don't get it they're supposed to be two separate characters!
See: NSMB (Dry Bowser's debut) and MP10. This isn't new.

Although, judging from a Bowser quote in Island Tour, there may be multiple Dry Bowser clones, but Bowser's skeleton is the single true one.

Next thing you're gonna tell me is that Baby Mario and Mario are supposed to be the same guy, but only in different time periods. Ludicrous conspiracy theory.

Baby Luigi is a separate character.

Oh stupid me! Look at me trying to explain something in a scientific way in the Mario franchise when I'm the one who keeps yapping about nothing making sense, am I right?

Babies can at least have differing personalities and mentalities from their adult counterparts.
But powerup forms? Extreme makeovers? Nope. We might as well have all of Peach's outfits throughout the years as separate characters.

I guess there are no more updates for Mario Tennis Aces, which means that every unlockable that requires online play is not new. Fortunately, I have already unlocked everything, which is to say that I don't need to return to this game. I was worried that since I missed out on the first few months of unlockables I needed to play some more in the upcoming months, but after cross-checking the Wiki I'm glad to see that that's not the case since the Boo and Yoshi events repeated and I got to unlock the rest of their costumes.

Mario Tennis may not be the most popular online game but it's great to see that it has some form of activity while it lasted for a year and a few months later.

Thank you for reading.

this game is pretty dead now.

there are barely any players online. you might have to wait an entire hour and a half for someone to show up.

the worst part? I KEEP LOSING EVERY MATCH BECAUSE OF JOY-CON DRIFT.

i just want that waluigi costume before my nso trial expires.

I think Mario Sports game playerbases tend to fall down after awhile they've been released.

The game itself was pretty half-assed. I can't believe how it launched.

I have to say that Aces is tied with Power Tennis as the best Mario Tennis game ever made. The Roster that we have in Aces is even better than the other games. It definitely blows Ultra Smash (Trash) out of the water because Nintendo and Camelot decided to add content to Aces unlike Ultra Smash. It's a fun game to play and I love it just as much as I love Power Tennis and I love it way better than Ultra Trash (I didn't really like that game either ways, it wasn't as good as the others and especially not as good as Power Tennis). Story mode was actually fun but kind of short. I loved the depth it added like Mario Super Sluggers despite me not being a fan of the motion controls in Super Sluggers.

I really like the game now. It didn't have much content in the beginning, but that isn't the case now. At the time of its launch, Nintendo had this dumb strategy of releasing games with bare, unimpressing content and providing more through slow subsequent updates "to keep it relevant", but that was met with poor critic reviews that didn't convince consumers about the quality of their products. Even now I'm seeing people entertaining the notion that Mario Tennis Aces is "light on content". I'm glad they eventually back-paddled on this strategy; hopefully, many more of their anti-consumer strategies will backfire.

That's the "live service" model. Nintendo isn't the biggest offender of it (Bethesda, EA, and Ubisoft are) but I hate that practice where they released a half-assed game and then patch it later with updates. Even so, Mario Tennis Aces had extremely baffling design decisions even post-patch: where the fuck are match-length settings? A side-mode in GTA has proper match-length settings but a dedicated tennis game doesn't!?

I think freakin' Wii Sports had the option to change the match length, but it's been so long since I last played it that I can't remember exactly. It's indeed odd that this feature has evaded Mario Tennis Aces for so long, but imagine there was a time when you couldn't even directly select a court or restart a mission from the pause screen. At least adding new characters made sense, but what kind of favour did omitting quality of life features bring them??

Regardless, I feel like the game deserves to be talked about a bit more often. It now has a fan-favourite roster with additional character skins (though yeah I also miss Baby Mario and Baby Luigi), looks nice, and plays good... if you don't have drift in your Joy-Cons, that is. There should be a thread dedicated to that.

though yeah I also miss Baby Mario and Baby Luigi

Pfft yeah tell me about it

Missed opportunity to put them in tennis gear.

At least Toadette has tennis gear, she's cute in them.

I think freakin' Wii Sports had the option to change the match length, but it's been so long since I last played it that I can't remember exactly. It's indeed odd that this feature has evaded Mario Tennis Aces for so long, but imagine there was a time when you couldn't even directly select a court or restart a mission from the pause screen. At least adding new characters made sense, but what kind of favour did omitting quality of life features bring them??

Regardless, I feel like the game deserves to be talked about a bit more often. It now has a fan-favourite roster with additional character skins (though yeah I also miss Baby Mario and Baby Luigi), looks nice, and plays good... if you don't have drift in your Joy-Cons, that is. There should be a thread dedicated to that.
Yeah that's the only issue with Aces. All the other Mario Tennis games including Ultra Smash (the worst game in the series) allowed you to change it. I love how Aces received more content than Ultra Trash (which didn't due to Nintendo and Camelot not bothering to update that game with more stuff). Overall, Aces, Power Tennis, and Open have the best roster which is something Mario Tennis 64 and Ultra Smash can't compete with. Power Tennis is still among my favorite Mario Tennis games because of its mini games. Aces story mode is fun and easy. I 100% the game. Overall the game ended up being as good as Power Tennis despite its one flaw.

Aces story mode is fun and easy. I 100% the game.

Did you max out Mario's level like yours truly here did? 😎

(boy was that a pointless endeavour, but the game wasn't gonna complete itself!)

Once I get to play Mario Power Tennis again, I'll check out its minigames and maybe do a comparison against Aces' co-op stuff in this thread. Do you think Aces stacks up to its predecessor in that regard?

Back