Mario Tennis Aces

How do you screw up Exhibition mode? Just give us the freaking option to select how long we want to play and which stages we want to play on. It's so simple! I called some of my old friends over to play, we used to play Power Tennis all the time. And it was so annoying having to turn off all the stages just to select the one we wanted. We could even do a long intense match like we used to play in Power Tennis.

I just noticed in Adventure Mode, the HUD differs between consumer version and the Treehouse version.

In the consumer (release) version, it didn't show Koopa Troopa's emblem, their tennis racket has no emblem on it. Same thing with the other Adventure Mode opponents who are not playable in the base game.
q7230MY.jpg

In the Treehouse version, it shows its emblem. Meaning that they used a later build or a custom build allowing post-launch characters to be playable.
1pnUH6P.png

Well yeah. They did showcase Blooper and Koopa Troopa.

Tennis Ball said:
I just noticed in Adventure Mode, the HUD differs between consumer version and the Treehouse version.

In the consumer (release) version, it didn't show Koopa Troopa's emblem, their tennis racket has no emblem on it. Same thing with the other Adventure Mode opponents who are not playable in the base game.
q7230MY.jpg

In the Treehouse version, it shows its emblem. Meaning that they used a later build or a custom build allowing post-launch characters to be playable.
1pnUH6P.png
I could have sworn I saw gameplay where Boom Boom's logo was visible in the HUD.

You're referring to GameXplain's gameplay video. I guess the early copy that previewers have, is a different build.

EDIT: NintenU's gameplay video also has that preview build, but packattack04082's video has the consumer build.
But both in preview builds and consumer builds, the results screen shows the Adventure Mode opponents' emblem, for instance Shy Guy, are blank (except for DK and Boo).
g1CDCWK.png

Their racket emblem are also blank, for instance Boom Boom.
NUnAzQl.png

Not a huge fan of developers walling off content until some later release date.

I mean I get why they do it. I'm just not a fan of it.

I think I misunderstood you and vice-versa. What I meant was that, during gameplay, the Adventure Mode opponent's logo appears next to their racket count, though it doesn't appear on the results screen or on their rackets.

That's what I was talking about. And their emblem doesn't appear next to the racket count in the consumer version.

Seems weird that consumers get a build different to the preview builds.

Tennis Ball said:
That's what I was talking about. And their emblem doesn't appear next to the racket count in the consumer version.

Seems weird that consumers get a build different to the preview builds.
Oh, then that's... strange.

If anyone was wondering, a new patch for the game was recently released:

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29137/~/how-to-update-mario-tennis-aces

Changes to Online Tournaments
The “Rating” feature will be added to the game on July 1, 2018. Ratings scores will start at 2,000 and go up after scoring points and go down when losing points in matches. It is a score that shows how strong the player is. (The in-game ranking board will continue to be based on Total Points.)
In cases where there is a disconnection during a match, ratings will go up or down based on the score in that match at that time.
When there is great discrepancy between players in ability, a player’s rating may not go up even if they win.
Changes to missions in Adventure mode
Forest Practice Court: We have adjusted how often the opponent uses Zone Shots.
Forest Edge: We have adjusted how quickly the opponent responds to shots.
Reflection Room: We have adjusted how much Energy is refilled.
Royal Chamber: We have adjusted how much Energy is refilled.
Other changes
Online Tournament: We have addressed an issue of settings not aligning with Options settings when starting a match.
Online Tournament: We have addressed an issue of the game freezing when pressing certain buttons after there is a communication error.
There will be further adjustments to game balance in matches and character performance.

I do appreciate the patch, but it's nothing that I really want, such as nerfing Bowser Jr. or match length settings.

Still having fun without the retry button?

Would be having fun deselecting stages except the one I want to play on to play on a stage I want to play on.

This game's storyline is quality dumb.

Though I find myself wondering why they even bothered with an evil tennis racket when it never says anything and that big ghost thing it makes at the beginning is never seen again.

That's just a visual effect to show that an evil spirit is in them. It seems to me that the racket needs a host. It can't talk or do anything on it's own.

Having played the game now, and uh, it seems like lag spikes are caused by literally everything.

As usual, I am proving to be the worst player in the world, as I am struggling to earn points in Simple Class. Every opponent I faced already have hundreds if not thousands of points, while I am still in the single digits after six games. My opponents must be glad that they are facing a lousy opponent (which would be me).

Thank you for reading.

I don't think more skilled opponents enjoy thrashing players like you either. They'd want a challenge, something on their skill level. You shouldn't even be playing against those types of people...does the game even have proper matchmaking?

ルイージ said:
Having played the game now, and uh, it seems like lag spikes are caused by literally everything.
They can't be charging for this service.

It's funny. I've been having more difficulty in Simple Class than Standard. Pulling off those Trick Shots really help my game.

After playing for some time, I managed to win some games. However I only managed to reached Semi-Finals once, which is a good effort but I know I will never be the greatest, compared to Splatoon 1 and 2 (and Mario Kart) where I managed to score a high rank. I feel the Rating system is a handy feature to have if I can match up with similarly-skilled players. Some thoughts:
- I played a few characters, but I played a few more regularly, like Daisy, Boo and Spike. I mainly do that to spice up the variety which I imagine might be populated by some stronger characters.
- Bowser Jr. is the opponent that I feared the most because he's got a lot of advantage.
- Simple Mode Tournament is a different experience and in some ways is more intense since losing form is a lot more punishing.
- I am surprised our resident Fawful didn't join any Tournaments since he's not in the Ranking board.
- It feels great when I win an intense game. One game had me KO the opponent who I feel is already rather challenging.

Thank you for reading.

Matchmaking is pretty much non-existent however you're always guaranteed to face someone who hasn't won a tournament in round 1.

Any news on that update when Bowser Jr inevitably gets nerfed to high heaven? Boy needs it desperately.

Also when are we going to be able to choose the length of our games? One set of two games is absurdly short. Also I don't want to configure the rules of the game every single freaking time I start playing. They should stay set as I left them the last time.

It'll probably come with free updates I'm guessing, similar to what happened with Super Bomberman R. I have my doubts Jr. will be nerfed or we'll get those multi-set matches. It's not like Mario Sports Superstars received any support despite the initial effort the developers put in yet glaring lack of overall content. I'm in a cynical mood right now. It's not the first time the multiplayer was gutted because its options were just copy-pasted from online.

I, on the other hand, will give Camelot the benefit of doubt, because I feel that with constant updates in this game such as new characters per month, they could provide some rebalances if required, with Bowser Jr. being the highest priority.

I know this is going to be irrational since I am looking at how other Nintendo subsidiaries handled balancing, but I trust Camelot if the other teams did it, such as for ARMS and Splatoon. To provide an example on this, in Splatoon 2, there is a weapon called the Tri-Slosher, a bucket that sloshes ink in three directions, which was extremely good because it has nice range that outranges a good amount of weapons and a kit that synergises well with it, but the developers rolled up updates that made the weapon a lot more manageable, with the most major one being a range reduction. Yes, I am rather optimistic, so feel free to make fun of me if you didn't like my optimism.

Thank you for reading.

I appreciate the optimism, though don't try to think I'm going to ridicule on it. Don't want you being concerned about expressing your views. We just have different viewpoints on things. Unlike Splatoon 2, Mario Tennis Aces seems to have smaller audience. Heck, even at this point, it seems like people are having trouble finding matches, which doesn't seem to be good news for the online part of Tennis Aces.

Back