Mario Tennis Aces

Princess Mario said:
The CPUs in single player doubles free play are determined by complete random so you can't have a doubles partner and you can't choose whom to face.
Wait, what? Really? You can't choose your doubles partner?? But you could in literally every other entry...

Mcmadness said:
Princess Mario said:
not by a lot

A fair bit I'd say actually due to how great the actual tennis is in this compared to open and ultra.

It's on the level of Power Tennis. I love the offensive and defensive shots. It is way better than Open and Ultra Trash.

ルイージ said:
Wait, what? Really? You can't choose your doubles partner?? But you could in literally every other entry...
You're back :O

yeah it seems like your doubles partner is random, I'm not sure about the CPU opponents but my sister said it's random too. Either way, there's less control on who's who when it comes to doubles.

Also, court selection is completely random. You CAN select which courts to turn off so in a way, that's a really cumbersome way to play on courts you want to play on. It's like having all your stages in Smash Bros. be chosen at random, but you can toggle which stages are left out of the hat.

Princess Mario said:
ルイージ said:
You're back :O

yeah it seems like your doubles partner is random, I'm not sure about the CPU opponents but my sister said it's random too. Either way, there's less control on who's who when it comes to doubles.

Also, court selection is completely random. You CAN select which courts to turn off so in a way, that's a really cumbersome way to play on courts you want to play on. It's like having all your stages in Smash Bros. be chosen at random, but you can toggle which stages are left out of the hat.

Sure am! Remembered this site after two years. I'm happy to say my old posts aren't bad enough that I want to mass delete them, lol.

That seems really counterintuitive and I don't understand???? I guess RIP the constant Mario and Luigi team game I love to play in every other Mario Tennis title.

I missed u :<

A lot of changes here are indeed baffling. I don't see the justification.

You CAN do Mario + Luigi stuff but you have to mess with the RNG a bit, like you can still pick Luigi, but setting up the matches will be a pain in the ass.

If RNG is on your side tho, then that's good.

I'd say that the gameplay between Aces and Ultra Smash is about equal quality. They're exact opposites in game modes, however. Ultra Smash was an exhibition mode and little more, while Aces has lots of other modes but hardly has an exhibition mode.

J-Yoshi64 said:
So I can't do my classic pair of Yoshi and Daisy? Bummer.
You can but you probably have to keep reshuffling with your CPU picks until you get what you want.

I'm still eager to play this new Mario Tennis! Could be just as good if not better than Power Tennis. But as far as I can tell, it's already way better than Ultra Smash. That one felt empty.

I am aware that Diddy Kong, Birdo and Paratroopa won't be playable until later on, but that doesn't matter. What matters is the fact they'll be playable.

Why would they do all these bizarre changes? Even the stuff Ultra Smash got right, they seem to be messing up.
Did Camalot just go insane or something? :-\

Why is it a requirement for Mario Tennis games to always be great in the gameplay department but flounder in pretty much everything else?

I loved the gameplay in Mario Sports Superstars and Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and I consider them both to be very solid games. And they both happen to be marred by a sheer lack of content and options. Mario Sports Superstars had stage selection and unlock content issues as well as a huge hassle with local multiplayers (especially soccer and no download play) while Mario Tennis Ultra Smash just lacked unlockables on its own and couldn't even compete with the Tennis mode with Sports Superstars alone for crying out loud.

Time to screw around in the settings till I get Bowser Jr and Toadette together

Oh well

least I still have my brother when we play Mario vs Toadette all the time

Aces showing up all over my twitter. man I just want to play it already but I gotta wait for it to show up next week.

I'm curious if the online connectivity has improved at all.

I've been playing it on free mode

It's really fun and has more activity then Ultra Smash

Seems like you can choose whom on doubles but you have to tweak it through a setting. Not sure which, but eh.

There's also Junior, who's broken like always.

Does anyone beside me find the fact that the Snow Ogre is just basically ice Eyerok cool, just because they actually acknowledged his existence?

Yeah but IDK why they didn't call it Eyerok, or a variation of it. Snow Ogre makes me think of Shrek in winter clothes.

I'm not to that part yet though, I just got the game and I just beat Petey. So I don't know the story behind that yet.

The thing is, his design is so blocky they wouldn't have went with it if it wasn't for just paying homage to the guy. And this plunges us now to ponder the Snow Ogre's relation to Eyerok

not good, it's a fucking joke

HOQiX58.jpg

I know you like Bowser Jr., but let's make a fair assessment here.

So I got the game.

And I'm pretty disappointed.

This game is lackluster at best. It just lacks content. It feels so empty, there's literally nothing to do other than Exhibition Mode and Adventure Mode. Oh, and a mediocre Exhibition Mode at that. Why the hell can't I choose how long I want my games to be? What is this nonsense of only tiebreaker and 2-gamed-1-set games?! I want to play more than that!

Adventure Mode is frustratingly hard. This is not a full complaint, however. I know I'd also be complaining if it were too easy. I just think they didn't find the right balance for it. Or maybe I just suck. It's probably that.

The music is just generic and boring. Absolutely nothing stands out and nothing will stay stuck in your head. The voice acting is made out of recycled voice clips from previous games. A special shout-out to Rosalina because her voice, once again, SUCKS. Way to ruin a character, Nintendo. Way to go. She went to the point in which she was my favorite character to one of my most hated ones. I can't stand her anymore. I just hate those "Weehee!s".

The roster. Where is Baby Mario? Where is Luma? Why in the world hasn't Pauline shown up yet?! The available characters are alright (Chain Chomp deserves a standing ovation) but there being no unlockables just sucks. We're being promised four characters which will be available after participating in online tournaments, none of which is exciting in the slightest.

The graphics are just alright. It's a Mario Tennis game, so we shouldn't really demand much. I was disappointed to see how polygonal Yoshi's egg when he makes his entrance to the court is, however. Just a minor nitpick, but still. It's just to show that it's not as polished as you would expect.

The tennis game itself, however, is SO-MUCH-DAMN-FUN. It's a fighting game, honestly. It's so violent, and I love it. There's lots of quick thinking needed, good reacting time, it's awesome. Too bad you can only play for a stupid set of two games, which goes by like THAT.

All in all, I'm disappointed. I haven't really played this with my friends; I think I'll do it tomorrow. If it lives up to the fun that playing against the computer does, I might keep it. Otherwise, I think I'll go to GameStop to return it tomorrow...

Back