Mario Tennis Aces

I'm so surprised it seems like I did a 180 on this game lol.

You know, I have other games on my wish list anyway... as much as I would hate to say that...

Anser said:
So I got the game.

And I'm pretty disappointed.

This game is lackluster at best. It just lacks content. It feels so empty, there's literally nothing to do other than Exhibition Mode and Adventure Mode. Oh, and a mediocre Exhibition Mode at that. Why the hell can't I choose how long I want my games to be? What is this nonsense of only tiebreaker and 2-gamed-1-set games?! I want to play more than that!

Adventure Mode is frustratingly hard. This is not a full complaint, however. I know I'd also be complaining if it were too easy. I just think they didn't find the right balance for it. Or maybe I just suck. It's probably that.

The music is just generic and boring. Absolutely nothing stands out and nothing will stay stuck in your head. The voice acting is made out of recycled voice clips from previous games. A special shout-out to Rosalina because her voice, once again, SUCKS. Way to ruin a character, Nintendo. Way to go. She went to the point in which she was my favorite character to one of my most hated ones. I can't stand her anymore. I just hate those "Weehee!s".

The roster. Where is Baby Mario? Where is Luma? Why in the world hasn't Pauline shown up yet?! The available characters are alright (Chain Chomp deserves a standing ovation) but there being no unlockables just sucks. We're being promised four characters which will be available after participating in online tournaments, none of which is exciting in the slightest.

The graphics are just alright. It's a Mario Tennis game, so we shouldn't really demand much. I was disappointed to see how polygonal Yoshi's egg when he makes his entrance to the court is, however. Just a minor nitpick, but still. It's just to show that it's not as polished as you would expect.

The tennis game itself, however, is SO-MUCH-DAMN-FUN. It's a fighting game, honestly. It's so violent, and I love it. There's lots of quick thinking needed, good reacting time, it's awesome. Too bad you can only play for a stupid set of two games, which goes by like THAT.

All in all, I'm disappointed. I haven't really played this with my friends; I think I'll do it tomorrow. If it lives up to the fun that playing against the computer does, I might keep it. Otherwise, I think I'll go to GameStop to return it tomorrow...
The game will get updates that will add the Tournament exclusive characters for everyone else. I am kinda also disappointed that there is no Pauline as well. I mean Pauline has never been in any Mario Kart and Mario sports games even though she's the oldest female character in the Mario franchise alone and she was created way before Peach even existed, and she appeared in a mainline Super Mario title as the mayor of New Donk City. I mean Peach, Daisy, Toadette, and Rosalina have gotten way more attention than her despite being created later. Face it, Peach, along with Daisy are the most prominent female video game characters than any other in history. I am also kinda disappointed that there is no Miis (even though I don't care that much about them) because how are the Wii Sports casual crowd supposed to move over to the Switch (especially since most casuals had the Wii for Wii Sports and tennis was the big seller).

Guys, just avoid online unless you really love Waluigi and Bowser Jr. and those two inevitably kill it.

Princess Mario said:
I know you like Bowser Jr., but let's make a fair assessment here.
If I'm making a fair assessment I'd say that going 237-2 when nobody else has shows how good that player is irregardless of what character they're playing as.
Swiftie_Luma said:
It has. A day one patch was released addressing the issue
That was my only real complaint during the demo so that's good.

Hey there, everyone - very long time no posting here.

But yeah, I hope I'm not in the "minority" here, but does anyone here on this thread have any PR contacts with Nintendo of America and/or Nintendo of Europe by any chance? I'm seeing that in the case of media assets for Mario Tennis Aces that the rest of the promo arts for this game haven't surfaced at all on the press end and what we've gotten so far is still the same stuff as what was shown during that Direct back in March (and it's been one day after the game's release itself).

I know for sure that the majority of promo arts for the related gallery on this wiki in no doubt need an update in due time.

Let me know as soon as you can on this part of the case; thanks so much in advance.

Nadeshiko Kagamihara said:
If I'm making a fair assessment I'd say that going 237-2 when nobody else has shows how good that player is irregardless of what character they're playing as.
That's assuming the game is balanced. It isn't.

-Bowser Jr.'s stats: moves extremely fast towards ball when charging

-Little bit of slice to make his side trick shot very good

-Fast stroke power

-Hard angled shots that rival and out technical types

-Range so big he can just press Y, auto charge into position, and returns the ball as a max charge shot with high aim and ball speed. This turns into him building meter like crazy while you get jack.

-Always has more meter than you.

- Defense type, receives less stun time.
Waluigi is just the same, except he plays the net whereas BJr. plays baseline.

You guys say 'lol its day 1' but just you wait. You'll be tired of seeing them. They aren't getting picked for no reason, and I'm down in the lab trying to figure out how to counter them. I tried Boo; my curve was useless. I tried technicals; they have the same ball aim as technicals lol, next, and defense is a counter to power, but they stand the most chance.

Just the notes I've been taking so far. It's not fun losing to that character and it's not fun using him and his cover-all options.

It's the same problem in Ultra Smash, and the person who posted this is a very experienced player who dealt with multitudes of Jr.s.

Princess Mario said:
That's assuming the game is balanced. It isn't.

-Bowser Jr.'s stats: moves extremely fast towards ball when charging

-Little bit of slice to make his side trick shot very good

-Fast stroke power

-Hard angled shots that rival and out technical types

-Range so big he can just press Y, auto charge into position, and returns the ball as a max charge shot with high aim and ball speed. This turns into him building meter like crazy while you get jack.

-Always has more meter than you.

- Defense type, receives less stun time.
Waluigi is just the same, except he plays the net whereas BJr. plays baseline.

You guys say 'lol its day 1' but just you wait. You'll be tired of seeing them. They aren't getting picked for no reason, and I'm down in the lab trying to figure out how to counter them. I tried Boo; my curve was useless. I tried technicals; they have the same ball aim as technicals lol, next, and defense is a counter to power, but they stand the most chance.

Just the notes I've been taking so far. It's not fun losing to that character and it's not fun using him and his cover-all options.

It's the same problem in Ultra Smash, and the person who posted this is a very experienced player who dealt with multitudes of Jr.s.

I don't have the game, but is he seriously that busted?!

Camelot not learning from their past mistakes. What a surprise. They'll probably screw up the next Mario Golf title too and I am not looking forward to that.

Cheeze said:
Camelot not learning from their past mistakes. What a surprise. They'll probably screw up the next Mario Golf title too and I am not looking forward to that.

I wouldn't go that far. It is a large step up from previous games, however it's also various steps back at the same time.

ThatGuy62 said:
I don't either, but I'd take the word of MOM Samus who is, like, #1 in North America.

He WAS busted in Ultra Smash, that's for sure.

Princess Mario said:
ThatGuy62 said:
I don't either, but I'd take the word of MOM Samus who is, like, #1 in North America.

He WAS busted in Ultra Smash, that's for sure.
Well, dang. I heard he was broken, but the more I hear, the more it sounds like it's "SNK Boss Syndrome" tier broken which is rarely fun.
Didn't know that about Ultra Smash, but I barely hear discussion about anyone in Ultra Smash to begin with.

I guess he's so mad what Sakurai did to him in Smash Bros. and still miffed about Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario Odyssey.

I don't disagree that Jr is good, being able to reach the ball in almost all situations is the best thing to have in a game like this but I think pointing to the players that have high win rates and saying he's broken is discrediting their results.

They would have had to play against Jr's just like everyone else and they came out on top, ignoring their results because of the character is petty.

Princess Mario said:
The CPUs in single player doubles free play are determined by complete random so you can't have a doubles partner and you can't choose whom to face.

That's not true. The random option is selected by default, but you can indeed choose your doubles partner as well as your opponents.

Me and my dorky interests...
600px-MTA_Models_Paratroopa.jpg

I've got to be the only person who was this invested in learning that Paratroopa's character emblem is his wing.

J-Yoshi64 said:
Me and my dorky interests...
600px-MTA_Models_Paratroopa.jpg

I've got to be the only person who was this invested in learning that Paratroopa's character emblem is his wing.
If it makes you feel better, I was intrigued that Boom Boom's emblem was his arm rather than his face like the Bowser clan.

I don't disagree that Jr is good, being able to reach the ball in almost all situations is the best thing to have in a game like this but I think pointing to the players that have high win rates and saying he's broken is discrediting their results.

They would have had to play against Jr's just like everyone else and they came out on top, ignoring their results because of the character is petty.
It's not the best example then.

But Bowser Jr. dominates the game. I pointed out how severely unbalanced he is, and it's a common complaint that he's too good to the point that it's unfun playing against him. Jr.'s strategy has barely any skill involved as I talked earlier.

Orca said:
That's not true. The random option is selected by default, but you can indeed choose your doubles partner as well as your opponents.
I figured out that it's not true as well, that it's some weirdly-worded option. What a relief.

The way I took it (I went through the options quickly to be fair), you can only choose your doubles partner if they are another human player, otherwise it's random if it's a CPU.

Fawful with a Monster in Peach's Castle said:
The way I took it (I went through the options quickly to be fair), you can only choose your doubles partner if they are another human player, otherwise it's random if it's a CPU.
No, you can choose CPU characters. I don't know the difference between "Random" and "P1 and Random COM" either, since they both seemed to function the exact same. Then again, I didn't play through an entire doubles match.

Oh, I get it now. I didn't actually try to play doubles, seems "P2" can mean a CPU. I assumed "P1 + P2" meant both had to be human players.

Well in checking that I played a doubles match, and my CPU doubles partner activated a Special Shot and got an out penalty. Nothing I could've done. That kinda stinks, hopefully the CPUs aren't always that stupid.

Eh, in Mario Tennis the "challenge" of the doubles tourneys always boils down to your AI partner being dumb as a sack of nails. I never liked how you can't have a human partner for a Doubles tournament in the Mario Tennis games.

Back