Kirby: Star Allies

Birdon's my favorite. I think I can live not playing as a Kirby, but I like how the helpers play pretty well and look fleshed out. I like the copy ability mixing mechanic.

The game's very predictable though.

Yes, it has a hellish final boss (and before that, Zant Squidward lol) that's simply monstrous and you even go inside its body and fight a core, which reveals itself to be some dark Kirby / Zero soul thing) and I did correctly predict that the very final scene is a QTE. But there is a big part of "been there done that" that we've seen already in pretty much every Kirby game. The characters overall are pretty forgettable.

My biggest gripe is that this game feels easy, too easy and I'd like to see more from the level design. The level design's very simplistic and the game is forgiving... too forgiving if you ask me. I don't think a simple hard mode is really going to change how the levels themselves feel bland.

Beat the main story. What even was that penultimate and final boss? Probably the weirdest for the series in a while.

I don't think the overall game is as good as Planet Robobot, but I still had a lot of fun.

Oh yeah, in term of new and revamped power-ups:

Staff > Spider > Cleaning > artist >>>>>>>> Festival

We really didn't need another stupid screen clearing attack considering there's 3 in the game already....

Most boss fights end up being a clusterfuck of projectile spam in this game, lol.

Believe it or not, when not playing as King DeDeDe my favourite way to play any kirby game is no ability at all.

I find it makes bosses more fun too.

I've done ability-less runs in Amazing Mirror before. It was...something I guess.

it is the only way to kirbay

Sometimes I do that.

Spewing stars on bosses does more damage than a regular ability that’s not a one shot thing. At least it is in RtDL.

Amazing, there's a hat-less King Dedede from this game. I presume it's a model and you can't see normally, unless someone can prove me otherwise?

DYkIFC6U8AEJlLU.png

Thank you for reading.

Blasphemy.

are you sure it's not dedede with his hat element removed in a 3d program?

Baby Luigi said:
are you sure it's not dedede with his hat element removed in a 3d program?

That's what I thought too. Since I never played this game, I believed that is the case because the pose that King Dedede used is not natural. The strange thing is that this game is the first time we got to see this, whereas there weren't any attempts to unravel his head in past games as far as I know.

Thank you for reading.

My thoughts when this game was announced:
“Oh, another Kirby game. That sounds cool.”

My thoughts after I found out that Bandana Waddle Dee was playable:
“Oh wow, I have GOT to get this game!”

Well, these kinda were the same things I thought. Except I wanted to play it when I found out that many old Kirby characters are playable. I do have Return to Dream Land, so I can play as Bandana Waddle Dee when I want to.
For some reason, Marx coming back impressed me the most

Bugzzy coming back, and as a playable character to boot, was what convinced me that I absolutely had to have the game. I'm a hopeless fanboy.

Have you heard of the Whispy Woods Easter egg?

I wonder why Nintendo didn't include Magolor as a dream friend...

I get the feeling that the Rick/Kine/Coo combo is not actually swappable on the spot, but rather both based on where the combo is and what attack is used. So basically Rick is ground-based, Coo is when the character is flying and Kine is when the character is underwater. Also Kine's flopping animation is actually an attack (I thought it's what happens when you attempt to swap Kine).

Marx never interested me but I wonder if we ever see Marx before Milky Way Wishes because I feel like said character is made for that Kirby Super Star mode.

The most interesting one will have to be Gooey, because I don't think we have seen the overview for Gooey yet. I think Gooey will share many moves with the Dark Matter given its origins.

Thank you for reading.

Bandanna Waddle Dee said:
I wonder why Nintendo didn't include Magolor as a dream friend...
They did announce there would be multiple waves of Dream Friends, so maybe he might be in a second wave (hopefully alongside Taranza).

Beat the game yesterday, and wow. I wouldn't say that the game is stellar (I still believe Planet Robobot is the superior game), but while the game was pretty easy and shorter, for me personally, the finale makes up for it.

What an incredible finale.

The introduction to Hyness was absolutely perfect. This is the first time I've ever been truly unnerved by a Kirby boss, and the way he moves with the music box music and the fast talking you can't even read? It really sets up the villain you're about to face.
Seeing his real face doesn't make things much better. It's easily one of the oddest character designs we've seen in Kirby, so it's still off-putting. Also, he sucks the life out of the generals and uses their bodies as weapons before sacrificing himself and them to resurrect their Dark Lord, which is ridiculously dark when you think about it.

God, Void Termina was such a cool fight, and not just because of how you fought it. The movement around was sweet, and the whole feeling of the shooting was phenomenal, especially in the slow motion of when it swoops by in its winged form.
But really, what I love most about this boss is how completely unexpected it was.
I'm sure most people going into it weren't expecting to battle basically Ganon before going inside of it to crack open its heart, then watching it sprout wings before battling its soul, and that's the beauty of it. I feel like Kirby games are still always predictable, in a sense. The final boss is never something odd or unexpected to what you've already seen. But Kirby exists in Dream Land, where anything can happen. Anything can happen in a dream, and I wish this idea of freedom was explored more in a Kirby game. So I'm happy these steps were taken.

And don't even get me started on the lore! This game introduce so many new ideas that we now have more questions about the world than answers.
Are the Jambastion mages the one who sealed away Galacta Knight? What all did his rampage entail? Hyness mentions somebody with superior technology, could this be a reference to the people of the Haltmann Company?
Why does Void Termina's soul look like Kirby? Are they both of the same species, or origins? Is Void Termina connected to Kirby? Or is Kirby a form of Dark Matter, like what the soul turns into? Did Void Termina create every evil creature Kirby has faced, or is it reflecting what Kirby has seen?
And what about Morpho Knight? Is Galacta Knight permanently replaced by them now, or have they always been a part of him? Are they gone? What's their story? And what's up with the orange butterfly being on top of Kirby throughout most of the recent game opinions? Is it significant?

As a huge Kirby fan, this sort of finale and dive into the world is absolutely perfect for me. The game as a whole could definitely be stronger, but I love what we've received from it, and hopefully the next Kirby game comes back swinging.

I just found out about this glitch in the Guest Star mode that lets you play as Kirby. If you access the Guest Star mode, put the Switch in handheld mode, and tap the area between “New Game” and “Best Time”, Kirby’s hidden leaderboard will appear. Just press “Start Game” to play the no-Kirby mode as Kirby! There are several glitches and side effects, but this is glorious!

For more info, use this link.

Back