Kirby: Star Allies

New footage of the game has been released, giving looks at the Whispy Woods and King Dedede boss fights! Videos spoilered below.

-Boss levels appear to have a level or at least a small challenge before them rather than just being the boss, which is a welcome change.
-New loading screen are... Okay. They're stylized nicely,
but I wasn't really expecting this to be in the game. Hopefully they'll be less intrusive-feeling when you actually play the game.
-Whispy Woods gets absolutely destroyed by Fire and I'm unsure how to feel about that. It makes the boss significantly less challenging, but it may depend upon how many of your allies actually have Fire attributes.
-King Dedede boss fight went quickly because of how many attacks were happening, so perhaps there's more to it, but I wish more was done with the concept, it seemed pretty bare-bones in terms of unique attacks. They really could've taken this idea and ran with it. I will say I like his look when he first introduced. It's a nice mix between recent Kirby titles and his Smash Bros. appearance.
-Having elemental attributes against certain bosses is pretty interesting, even if it may make the bosses easy to cheese. Perhaps some of them will be more unique, such as using electricity-based attacks to stop Meta Knight from flying.
-Revive system is awesome! One of my biggest gripes in Return to Dreamland was how other players took lives when they revived, but this is a much more manageable system.

I like the fact that Chef Kawasaki appears in the game. Also the fact that BONKERS CAN BE BEFRIENDED IN THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like the animal friends (well, Rick, Kine and Coo) are back, like I hoped would happen! They are even ridden on like the old Kirby games, which is awesome. Interesting is that they are swappable characters instead of being separate like the others. At least Gooey is his own character.

It got me a bit interested in this game, but not impulse yet.

Thank you for reading.

dream friends are amazing (especially MARX!) but i just hope that they let you play as them (and other helpers for that matter as well i guess) when you're playing single player because not having that option was the most disappointing thing about playable dedede/meta knight/waddle dee in return to dreamland

Who cares why it is, all I care is that he's playable and that was enough to get an excited scream out of me.

[quote author=Yoshiaki Koizumi in the Star Allies Section in Nintendo Direct]
It's like a dream come true.
[/quote]

It is!

J-Yoshi64 said:
I wonder why Marx is an ally, though?

well, they're called 'dream friends' and you find them at dream palaces, so if i had to make an educated guess, i'd wager the in-universe explaination is probably that its not the 'real' version of that character and its just a dream version or something like that. probably their way to justify including characters that don't make sense from a story perspective

That’s besides the point though.

Just seeing Marx makes me... I don’t know how to feel about it but I am mostly a hell lot more excited for this game.

T's gonna be great!

Wonder what dark blood spilling kind of final boss we’ll get this time around.

Splash said:
J-Yoshi64 said:
I wonder why Marx is an ally, though?

well, they're called 'dream friends' and you find them at dream palaces, so if i had to make an educated guess, i'd wager the in-universe explaination is probably that its not the 'real' version of that character and its just a dream version or something like that. probably their way to justify including characters that don't make sense from a story perspective
Does that mean that Kirby still sees Marx as a friend?

Here:

The Dream Palace (or whatever it's name is) is powered by the Heart of a Nova. Using the Heart, Kirby actually makes wishes every time he summons somebody, wishing for them to work alongside him as his friend. He wished for Marx to come back, and so he returned, friendly.

There's your lore

Tangle The Lemur said:
Walmart doesn't give a crap so I got the game a day early

You're lucky, one time at my local Walmart when I tried to buy a Ocarina of Time Link Amiibo before it was technically supposed to be "out" I was denied my purchase despite the fact that they put it on the shelf anyways.

Though in this case I don't have to worry about that as much since I got to wait until April before I can grab Star Allies.

That's weird. I one time tried to get the Mario amiibo because I saw it on the shelves and they didn't let me GET the item, but they did let me pay for the amiibo and then claim it once it's actually out. I guess they're being nice to me that day.

welp just finished the main story for this lol
it's a good game. it doesnt deviate too much from the typical kirby formula, and the friend teamup things (friend circle and stuff like that) is a little bit gimmicky tbh, but if you like kirby games, you should enjoy this

Is it just me, or are the 2D Kirby platformers going on autopilot much as how New Super Mario Bros. was years ago? I feel the games are getting very formulaic and it's starting to tire me.

I kind of feel they've always been like that
I played it 2 player with a friend and it was kind of boring.

Played this game with a friend and twin, and I came into this game pretty clean, with barely any information from it pre-release, would like to share thoughts.

Personally, I think this game is good as any other Kirby game, but I'm not sure if it's the puzzles and enemies being too predictable that I'm used to, but I feel like the game really is on the easy side. The Star Ally mechanic is a very interesting mechanic, and I enjoy mixing and matching abilities to solve puzzles, it's a neat concept I want to see in more Kirby games. The game's villains are...a bit on the forgettable side except for, of course, the final boss, who I'm not going to spoil on here. The game is also quite on the short side, we've beaten the game 100% in less than one afternoon, maybe around 6 hours long.

My main is Buggzy because Suplex is an awesome power-up, but Driblee is just about the most adorable thing in this game.

latest

Back