Things you didn't notice before in Mario games

So if you get a rainbow star as Bee Mario, you lose your Bee suit.

Found that out the hard way. Also, in Golden Leaf galaxy, the worst one in the game, on the top area of the main planet, some of the plants are floating. I don't know wether the developers rushed that one part or just didn't care because people wouldn't take their time to explore a clone galaxy.

Speaking of Toads doing nothing, last time Koops played Mario Galaxy, we both realised that in Seaslide Galaxy in the Guppy mission, Captain Toad says "I'm gonna teach him a lesson", but he just stands there doing absolutely nothing.

I WANT A BURGER said:
I find it kind of amusing that when you check the save files in the Wii settings for the Galaxy games, they both have similar save file blurbs. (I.e Galaxy's is "Launch into a cosmic adventure!" whereas Galaxy 2's is "Launch into a new adventure!".)
Galaxy 2's sounds rather lazy if they just replaced a more descriptive term with one that only serves to let us know it's new.

I think lazy is a perfect way to describe Galaxy 2 so that new tagline fits it very well.

Galaxy 2 is arguably less "cosmic" than Galaxy 1 so that more generic tagline is fitting.

Princess Mario said:
Galaxy 2 is arguably less "cosmic" than Galaxy 1 so that more generic tagline is fitting.
Well, it doesn't generate that "out of this world" feeling (pun intended) to the extent of Galaxy 1, but it is still equally cosmic. You're still in outer space, but that fact isn't shoved in your face to the extent of Galaxy 1.

Super Mario Galaxy's theme is...space. I mean, complaining how the central theme of the game is "shoved in your face" is something strange to complain about.

But to be fair, I never understood the "excessive tropical level" complaint I got from Sunshine. Ricco Harbor, Gelato Beach, Sierena Beach, etc. are all visually distinct places with their own gimmicks and stuff.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Super Mario Galaxy's theme is...space. I mean, complaining how the central theme of the game is "shoved in your face" is something strange to complain about.

But to be fair, I never understood the "excessive tropical level" complaint I got from Sunshine. Ricco Harbor, Gelato Beach, Sierena Beach, etc. are all visually distinct places with their own gimmicks and stuff.
Complaining? I never said that it was a bad thing. I was just stating facts.

The way Sunshine displays the tropical island theme is certainly not excessive, either. People who say "all the levels in Sunshine are the exact same" are outright wrong. Sure, they're not the most varied, but they're far from being identical.

Stating that a theme being "shoved in your face" is not "stating facts". It's "stating opinions".

This is a fact: Super Mario Galaxy's central theme is space.

This is an opinion: I find the space theme to be excessive. The "shoved in your face" bit implies that it's excessive enough for you to take notice and get tired of the theme.

It's not that I got tired of it. It's just that it stresses the space theme more than its sequel. That's not a bad thing at all.

I'm not the best at wording things, so please forgive me for the confusion.

Oh all right, that's okay, as long as you clarify things, I'll forgive you.

I think a better phrasing you could use is to say that Super Mario Galaxy has a stronger focus on the space theme than Galaxy 2. It has a more neutral connotation than "shoved in your face", which is a negative phrase.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Oh all right, that's okay, as long as you clarify things, I'll forgive you.

I think a better phrasing you could use is to say that Super Mario Galaxy has a stronger focus on the space theme than Galaxy 2. It has a more neutral connotation than "shoved in your face", which is a negative phrase.
Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

Anyway, in Captain Toad, Captain Toad will have certain idle animations when near the other Toad Brigaders in certain areas.

When near Hint Toad in any of the Coins Galore bonus levels, Captain Toad will start clapping.

When near Yellow Toad in Plucky Pass Beginnings, Captain Toad will fall asleep alongside him.

When near Toadette in either Wingo's Watchtower or Wingo's Whackdown, Captain Toad will start dancing alongside her.

Nothing happens when near Banktoad. And for whatever reason, Mailtoad is completely absent from this game.

In Super Mario Galaxy, the pink Octoomba type enemy (can't think of its name) has different animations for being jumped on it Ground Pounded. When jumped on, it looks condensed and squashed like Goombas. When Pounded, however, it looks like it was transformed into a sprite and is lying flat on the ground.

I only noticed today that there's a pond on the inside of the first turn in the Mario Kart 8 version of Moo Moo Meadows.
Also Piranha Plant items in Mario Kart 8 will also eat some of the enemies on the courses, like the Frogoons in DK Jungle and the Monty Moles in Moo Moo Meadows.

In Mario Kart Wii, you can still attempt wheelies if you're in an out-of-bound area (think of the far left and far right areas right after the big ramp in Dry Dry Ruins). Your character even does that grunt when they fail a wheelie.

Also, far-off out-of-bound areas always makes characters make drowning noises for some reason.

In Mario Kart Wii, you can have different air time depending on when you initiate a trick. I've found that hitting the trick button/shaking the Wiimote at the earliest possible time before going off the ramp makes you go the lowest.I still don't know how to properly low-trick.

The following are from Super Mario Odyssey.

If you take a Paragoomba to the top of the highest airship grounded in the Cap Kingdom plaza, the eyes turn back to the normal Goomba's eyes. While captured.

(As in, you're still controlling the Goomba but Mario's blue eyes aren't there.)

Also in the Cap Kingdom, the fog moves like waves instead of just reappearing like I thought. You can notice this easily by standing on one of the sunken airships beneath the fog.

Mack_SMRPG.png

So, this guy is named after the song Mack The Knife, I haven't heard said song till this year and I found out...
it's a song about a serial killer, there is a Mario enemy named after a serial killer.

In Super Mario RPG, there is an out-of-reach hidden Question Block in the Mushroom Kingdom's castle, which can only be reached by jumping from Toad at the door. The catch is, this can only be done when Toad runs to the door, which is something that happens in the beginning of the game and I think one other time.

This is something I never done myself, so I had to watch other people unravel it. This reminds me of how there's a hidden spot with a Great Sword in Final Fantasy 5's Castle of Bal, where it's hidden in the moat.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
In Super Mario RPG, there is an out-of-reach hidden Question Block in the Mushroom Kingdom's castle, which can only be reached by jumping from Toad at the door. The catch is, this can only be done when Toad runs to the door, which is something that happens in the beginning of the game and I think one other time.

This is something I never done myself, so I had to watch other people unravel it. This reminds me of how there's a hidden spot with a Great Sword in Final Fantasy 5's Castle of Bal, where it's hidden in the moat.

Thank you for reading.
I think I read somewhere that you can glitch to it during the Shy Guy invasion, so you might be thinking of that.
Also said Question Block contains a Frog Coin.
Thanks Square.

Mario_Party_7_Title_Screen.png

Bowser and Koopa Kid appear in the Mario Party 7 title screen if you wait a bit. I'm not sure if preresquites have to be met first though.

Nope. No requirements needed. They're there from the start. You have to wait a bit instead of eagerly diving into he game.

I love 7's title screen. Really gives the impression of a big adventure.

Every time I see characters walking across the globe like that, I always envision them falling into the water.

In the Mario Odyssey opening cutscene, when Bowser talks, I realized that Bowser is voice acting, but it can barely be realized.

But he only acts while he's saying "Time for my wedding with Peach" and "Jealous Mario?"

Back