Things you didn't notice before in Mario games

mario kart wii's models are shit

they still use 0's and 1's for weights to animate.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
mario kart wii's models are *bleep*

they still use 0's and 1's for weights to animate.
I think I read somewhere that they're the Double Dash models, maybe a bit touched up.
Wouldn't be too surprising. Up until Battle Revolution, the console Pokemon games reused models as far back as Stadium for the mons that apply.

they are the double dash models, because baby mario in mario kart wii has the exact same bad texture uvs on his legs as he had in double dash

winstein said:
Russian Baby Luigi said:
three fingers is easier to animate than four

fingers are a huge pain to animate.

Naturally that's the case. In fact, I can see why the newer Pokemon have fewer digits than the old days. Putting Pokemon in 3D means the designers have to take into consideration the modelling and animating challenges that goes with the graphical evolution. For example, compare Alolan Geodude family with the original. I won't post the images here, but the original versions have visible individual fingers while the Alolan versions look like the fingers are joined, so you essentially have two digits per limb for each member.

Thank you for reading.
Daily remainder that my favorite Pokémon, who already had quite underdeveloped hands:
006Charizard.png
was given a supposedly "empowered" form in which the hands were even less developed...
006Charizard-Mega_Y.png
Really, only when I checked an actual skeleton of a Pteranodon a few days ago I finally realized that this design is actually meant to be a Pteranodon version of Charizard...
Anyway, as for the number of fingers, I guess this indeed stems from the characters being non-human, as actually most of these characters (Birdo, Yoshi, Koopalings, a good part of the Koopa Troop) came in the 2D era, where animating fingers wasn't a reason of concern. Wart too has four fingers, by the way, so it even goes beyond reptiles. In this sense, it's really interesting to see Toads having five fingers.

So, in the Wario Land games, Wario is a treasure hunter, so of course the main one getting in the way is someone else who hunts for treasure, say ... a pirate.
So, there you go, I finally got the pirate theme down.

Indigo Underground's theme from Paper Mario Color Splash actually plays half the notes on each earphone, if you got some.

Once TG and I shared a pair and the music seemed to smoothly cut off at some places.

Mister Wu said:
winstein said:
Russian Baby Luigi said:
three fingers is easier to animate than four

fingers are a huge pain to animate.

Naturally that's the case. In fact, I can see why the newer Pokemon have fewer digits than the old days. Putting Pokemon in 3D means the designers have to take into consideration the modelling and animating challenges that goes with the graphical evolution. For example, compare Alolan Geodude family with the original. I won't post the images here, but the original versions have visible individual fingers while the Alolan versions look like the fingers are joined, so you essentially have two digits per limb for each member.

Thank you for reading.
Daily remainder that my favorite Pokémon, who already had quite underdeveloped hands:
Charizard was given a supposedly "empowered" form in which the hands were even less developed...
Charizard-Mega_Y
Really, only when I checked an actual skeleton of a Pteranodon a few days ago I finally realized that this design is actually meant to be a Pteranodon version of Charizard...
Anyway, as for the number of fingers, I guess this indeed stems from the characters being non-human, as actually most of these characters (Birdo, Yoshi, Koopalings, a good part of the Koopa Troop) came in the 2D era, where animating fingers wasn't a reason of concern. Wart too has four fingers, by the way, so it even goes beyond reptiles. In this sense, it's really interesting to see Toads having five fingers.

I think it's because Toads are very human-like that it would be unsettling (for the Japanese) if Toads were to have four fingers. That would make the Mario cartoons a huge outlier since Toads have four fingers, along with many humans. Surprisingly a few human characters beside Mario, Luigi and Princess have fingers, like Mervin the Magician and Queen Rotunda. I feel like Nintendo practically enforced the animators to give their main characters five fingers even though for the most part the cartoon creators have a lot of freedom.

Thank you for reading.

Sunshine is the only console 3D game with no kind of rabbit in it, 64 has Mips, Galaxy 1 and 2 have the Star Bunnies, 3D World had giant rabbits and Odyssey has the Broodals

In the amiibo tap version of Kirby's Dream Course, the player icon is an amiibo symbol. You won’t find that in any other version of the game, I'm sure!

Also in amiibo tap, the chance of getting each game doesn’t seem to be 100% even. It seems that a player has a lot more chance of getting Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda before any other game.

Also, I'm not sure how many people knew this, but you can reset your amiibo tap games at any time by deleting the shared save data in Data Management. If you get bored of your current demos, don’t be afraid to reset the save data!

Lastly, all four levels of World 1 in Super Mario Bros. are remixed in the sample courses of Super Mario Maker for Wii U.

I had absolutely no idea that the characters in Mario Kart 64 were 2D sprites until I realised that they weren't polygonal enough to be 3D models.
I also didn't know that there are two trains in Kalimari Desert, I always thought it was just the one.

BBQ Turtle said:
I had absolutely no idea that the characters in Mario Kart 64 were 2D sprites until I realised that they weren't polygonal enough to be 3D models.
I also didn't know that there are two trains in Kalimari Desert, I always thought it was just the one.

This was my first thought for Pac-Man in Pac-Man World, in which I thought that the developers were able to make a perfectly round Pac-Man in the more primitive 3D era, until I played Super Mario 64 and found out that there exists a technique called billboarding, which is a technique of putting 2D sprites (always facing the camera) in a 3D environment. Basically Pac-man is round because part of Pac-man's model is a sprite with a face texture attached to it, similar to Bob-ombs.

Thank you for reading.

In Super Paper Mario, Peach has a determined expression when she jumps. All these years of being obsessed with this game, and I never picked up on that detail until now. It's pretty inconsequential but I still wanted to share it.

Dha3CgdWsAEWhFM.jpg

Oh god...

What other secrets could the game be hiding?

It also took me a lot of time (more than it was supposed to take) to notice that you could actually stun a Dead Hand in this game, and that it actually has a "damaged" animation.

Everyone said:
Oh god...

What other secrets could the game be hiding?

It also took me a lot of time (more than it was supposed to take) to notice that you could actually stun a Dead Hand in this game, and that it actually has a "damaged" animation.
OOT_DeadHand.png

????

*Underhands, but yeah you can get them to really glitch out by using Barry on them after luring them to the surface of Creepy Music River (River Twygz).

Though, there is an enemy called Dead Hands in the Mario series, it's a summon from Shadow Queen in TTYD.

I just like to refer to them as Dead Hands because they are too similar to the Shadow Queen's Dead Hands. It's like they're the same enemies. They both drag you underneath the surface (well, that's what Super Paper Mario says).

I've known this for a while, but there's an 8-bit Luigi in Plucky Pass Beginnings in Captain Toad Wii U (behind the signpost). However, I only recently found that this Luigi is not present in the 3DS version in any way, shape, or form. I haven't checked the Switch version, but I think Luigi's absent there too.

Who else has noticed how emotionless the Toad animations were in Galaxy? While standing still, they just rocked back and forth like a pendulum, never blinking, never moving their mouth.

Tick-tock-tick-tock-tick-tock.......

Their models look like crap too

Pinktoadb.png

I find it kind of amusing that when you check the save files in the Wii settings for the Galaxy games, they both have similar save file blurbs. (I.e Galaxy's is "Launch into a cosmic adventure!" whereas Galaxy 2's is "Launch into a new adventure!".)

Back