Things you didn't notice before in Mario games

meme.png

NanoPhoenix said:
The expression that Luigi first makes during the level preview for the "Luigi and the haunted mansion" star in Ghostly Galaxy is very reminiscent of the Home Alone-esque face he makes on the boxart for Luigi's Mansion.

home_alone_by_arc_caster135-d6vkasp.jpg

Not particularly Mario game-related but was this Mario in an accident that involved one of his fingers?

476px-MarioDiCArtwork.jpg

Box_NA_-_Super_Mario_Sunshine.png

That text in the yellow ring...
[quote author=Super Mario Sunshine boxart]
...[Mario] has more moves than ever...[You'll have to master] them all...Sprinkle water in the sunshine...
[/quote]
Text in brackets is my interpretation of unfinished or hidden text. Until recently, though, I never knew about that text.

EDIT: Changed "water" to "master" in the quote.

what is this a fighting game

Most of those are just strings of existing moves in various orders. I wouldn't exactly call doing a triple jump, a wall jump, and a ground pound in quick succession its own move.

shut up you silly goose, stop dissecting my joke; the motto in the Sunshine cover doesn't lie :'(

NOTE: Image below not from me.

Basically I didn't know Baby Bowser takes a Star if the unlucky player lands on Bowser Land's Bank Space without any Coins.

DdH3e9LVQAAlHHg.jpg:large

YFJ said:
Box_NA_-_Super_Mario_Sunshine.png

That text in the yellow ring...
...[Mario] has more moves than ever...[You'll have to master] them all...Sprinkle water in the sunshine...
Text in brackets is my interpretation of unfinished or hidden text. Until recently, though, I never knew about that text.

EDIT: Changed "water" to "master" in the quote.
[/quote]

It should be pointed out that different regions of the box art have different words visible, which is kind of neat and made me wish there's an official picture of this version of Mario without the Sunshine logo blocking. Below is a comparison between the Japanese one (the same as US) and the European one.

431px-Super_Mario_Sunshine_Japanese_boxart.jpg
425px-SMS_UK.jpg

Thank you for reading.

I think I can piece together what it’s saying:

Mario has more moves than ever, and you'll have to master them all to sprinkle (spray) water in the sunshine.
[/quote]

There is a regional difference between the wording at one point. The US/JP version says "sprinkle", while the PAL version says "spray".

I had the impression that some Mario characters had four fingers to signify that they are villains, as is the case for Bowser and the Koopas, but even Yoshi and Birdo, two friendly characters, have four fingers. That got me to come to a conclusion that it's not a matter of being a villain that got the characters to have four fingers, but the fact that they are based on reptiles. Essentially it just occurred to me that all the reptile Mario characters have four fingers, even the docile ones, so I think it's more of being consistent. I think there isn't really much of an issue raised here because the Mario species are non-human, so it's easier to believe that they are naturally like that, as opposed to if the human characters were to have four fingers.

Similarly, the reptile characters tend to have three toes, so characters like Bowser, Bowser Jr., Birdo, Yoshi and even Lakitu have them, although you don't normally see some of them because they tend to wear shoes.

Thank you for reading.

three fingers is easier to animate than four

fingers are a huge pain to animate.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
three fingers is easier to animate than four

fingers are a huge pain to animate.

Naturally that's the case. In fact, I can see why the newer Pokemon have fewer digits than the old days. Putting Pokemon in 3D means the designers have to take into consideration the modelling and animating challenges that goes with the graphical evolution. For example, compare Alolan Geodude family with the original. I won't post the images here, but the original versions have visible individual fingers while the Alolan versions look like the fingers are joined, so you essentially have two digits per limb for each member.

Thank you for reading.

Not sure about that.

If there's an animal with five digits and they can't give it full fingers, they can always join fingers through the 3D model. This is what we see in the older Mario games or at least lower-res models.

Back