post any random Mario thought on your mind

I would love to see the side modes, (The multiplayer Mario Bros. on GBA and SNES, SM64DS Yoshi Battle, NSMB Mario vs Luigi, even the Mario VS Boo/Luigi mode from SMB Deluxe), be expanded.

I used to really want a new Mario Baseball game and sequel to Mario Super Sluggers, but with how the Mario sports titles on the Switch have turned out, I'm not so sure if I really want that anymore. I can already see how a new Mario Baseball will turn out:

Let's see, there needs to be a minimum of 18 characters in the game because two teams of 9 equals 18 players. OK, the base game will have 20 characters, which means that all but 2 characters must be used. And then for post-game updates, they'll add 8-10 characters that should've been in the game from the start. Oh boy, Koopa Troopa is being added! And Shy Guy! And Toadette!!!

For the stadiums, there will be 5 and the only differences between each of the stadiums are the aesthetics. They all play exactly the same and have no unique obstacles.

Sorry to sound so negative and pessimistic, but I'm just trying to be realistic and I fully expect Nintendo to do just that.
What made the past games great for me was the large quantity of characters that they had, the unique stadiums and fun minigames. I have a feeling that a new Mario Baseball on the Switch won't have any of that.

Mario Sports Superstars Baseball is kinda a glimpse of that but we do have Baby Luigi in there so it's all good.

Man, Mario Party 6 has some really unbalanced 1v3 minigames. I think that this game and Mario Party 2 have the least balanced 1v3 minigames in the series.

Let me give you some examples of 6's unbalanced 1v3 minigames:

Sink or Swim: Solo player has the advantage.They can drop mines at a rapid pace and trap the team players on either side of the screen. Maybe it would help if it took longer for the solo player to reload or grab another mine.

Pop Star: If the team players are somewhat competent, they'll always win. It's really not that difficult to press the A button at the peak of your jump. Unless the solo player can mash the A button at a god-like speed, they're losing every time.

Crate and Peril: Probably the most infamous 1v3 minigame in the series. Spinies are too large and move too fast, there's really no way for the team to win unless the solo player is an Easy or Normal CPU.

Ray of Fright: Lasers are too fast and hard to predict which direction they'll go after rebounding. Despite these flaws, I've actually enjoyed playing this one as the team. It's a fun challenge.

Dust 'til Dawn: Unless the team of three can cooperate perfectly, the solo player should win this. AIs are hopeless for this minigame no matter the difficulty, they waste too much time walking around and dusting furniture that you're already dusting. You can probably only win this with a team of humans.

I wanted to include Ball Dozers on this list since I see the solo player win more often than not, but I don't think it's as unbalanced as the rest of the minigames above. The team can win if they can cooperate well. Once again, AIs are hopeless for this minigame.

Mario Party 2 has:
Bowl Over (too difficult for the team)
Crane Game (unwinnable for the team)
Move to the Music (unwinnable for the one)
Look Away (unwinnable for the one)
Shock, Drop or Roll (unwinnable for the one)

A few other notable unbalanced 1v3 minigames that are not from 6 or 2:

Number Crunchers (7): Thwomps take too long to fall, giving the team more than enough time to react. One of the worst balanced minigames right up there with Crate and Peril.

Skewer Scurry (10): The skewers take too long to attack and the team has ample time to get to a safe spot. Plus the 20-second time limit is too short. 20 seconds is fine for a minigame where the solo player has to survive (like 10's Bullet Bill Bullies), but not for a minigame where the solo player has to take out the team. It baffles me that this minigame was brought back in Superstars, but at least we got a nice remix of the Quick Avoidance theme.

I'm not surprised that Mario Party has unbalanced asymmetrical gameplay, it's extremely difficult to balance those. I know in Mario Party 4, it's like impossible for the solo player to lose in Makin' Waves or in Candlelight Fright, the solo player usually loses in that game.

2023060120291700-16851BE00BC6068871FE49D98876D6C5.jpg

I've never been so stressed playing Mario Kart in my life than I was trying to get the 18 points I needed to cross 600.

I remember flipping through a chapter book based on Donkey Kong 64 in a bookstore back around 1999 or 2000. But I can't find any info on that book anywhere online (including the Super Mario Wiki). I almost think I'm going crazy.

Man, Mario Party 6 has some really unbalanced 1v3 minigames. I think that this game and Mario Party 2 have the least balanced 1v3 minigames in the series.

Let me give you some examples of 6's unbalanced 1v3 minigames:

Sink or Swim: Solo player has the advantage.They can drop mines at a rapid pace and trap the team players on either side of the screen. Maybe it would help if it took longer for the solo player to reload or grab another mine.

Pop Star: If the team players are somewhat competent, they'll always win. It's really not that difficult to press the A button at the peak of your jump. Unless the solo player can mash the A button at a god-like speed, they're losing every time.

Crate and Peril: Probably the most infamous 1v3 minigame in the series. Spinies are too large and move too fast, there's really no way for the team to win unless the solo player is an Easy or Normal CPU.

Ray of Fright: Lasers are too fast and hard to predict which direction they'll go after rebounding. Despite these flaws, I've actually enjoyed playing this one as the team. It's a fun challenge.

Dust 'til Dawn: Unless the team of three can cooperate perfectly, the solo player should win this. AIs are hopeless for this minigame no matter the difficulty, they waste too much time walking around and dusting furniture that you're already dusting. You can probably only win this with a team of humans.

I wanted to include Ball Dozers on this list since I see the solo player win more often than not, but I don't think it's as unbalanced as the rest of the minigames above. The team can win if they can cooperate well. Once again, AIs are hopeless for this minigame.

Mario Party 2 has:
Bowl Over (too difficult for the team)
Crane Game (unwinnable for the team)
Move to the Music (unwinnable for the one)
Look Away (unwinnable for the one)
Shock, Drop or Roll (unwinnable for the one)

A few other notable unbalanced 1v3 minigames that are not from 6 or 2:

Number Crunchers (7): Thwomps take too long to fall, giving the team more than enough time to react. One of the worst balanced minigames right up there with Crate and Peril.

Skewer Scurry (10): The skewers take too long to attack and the team has ample time to get to a safe spot. Plus the 20-second time limit is too short. 20 seconds is fine for a minigame where the solo player has to survive (like 10's Bullet Bill Bullies), but not for a minigame where the solo player has to take out the team. It baffles me that this minigame was brought back in Superstars, but at least we got a nice remix of the Quick Avoidance theme.
Reminded me of how generally unfair the minigames are in the first Mario Party. The two that comes to mind in terms of extremes are Bash 'n' Cash and Coin Shower Flower. The former is strictly advantageous for the three players, while the latter is advantageous for the single player. Actually, between the two, Bash 'n' Cash is worse because the minigame inevitably results in a net loss, while Coin Shower Flower is a net gain, and dropped coins can even be retrieved. Though come to think of it, the single player generally is at an advantage in most 1v3 minigames so Bash 'n' Cash is possibly the counterweight for all other 1v3 minigames.

Piranha's Pursuit's Superstars remake is not very good as a remake, because I think something that's lost in translation is the screen. The original is a more standard 4:3 screen while the remake takes place in a wide screen (16:9), which I think makes the minigame more forgiving for the one who escapes. It feels like the speed of the Piranha is not adjusted to compensate, but I am not an expert to determine if the minigame is indeed a 1:1 recreation if not accounting for the screen ratio.

Thank you for reading.

Also they require your right hand so

Should Peachette be rebranded as Peach's younger sister and not Toadette?
Sure, but give her a better name. I hate siblings whose names are very similar to their older/younger counterparts.

Shit man better rename Redshift and Blueshift :(
It was just a joke, Ray Trace. I like Redshift and Blueshift, and even Toadette's family in the rp have similar names as each-other. Besides, their names don't matter as long as you can tell them apart through other means, right?

After starting a new file on SM64DS last month and sailing through to 100% it for the 2nd time in my life, I've come to the conclusion that it's not the controls that are bad. The detractors are just too stubborn to practice in VS mode and get better at the game.

I don't agree that SM64DS has bad controls but "git gud" is not a valid rebuttal to a subjective opinion

I don't agree that SM64DS has bad controls but "git gud" is not a valid rebuttal to a subjective opinion
It is however a funny one when you put Cranky next to it.

I'm too stubborn to "get gud" at the original SM64's controls and get used to the learning curve there.
Me but with Sunshine. I grew up playing 64 and Galaxy was my second 3D Mario game outside 64 DS. Sunshine's the one I can't seem to get comfortable playing. It feels similar to SM64 but only in the worst ways, and the level design feels too complex for the game engine which definitely feels derived from SM64's. I really think Galaxy was where the game engine caught up to the graphical quality and level design. Also I definitely feel like FLUDD is insurance to cover for janky physics, but even that sometimes doesn't work.

On another note, I was thinking recently about how you can control Bowser via capture in Super Mario Odyssey and they have a really good framework there for a playable Bowser in a 3D Mario game. I kind of want to hope this gets utilized in the future for a 3D Mario with multiple playable characters, where Bowser is on your side against a new threat, something I really wish we could get out of the main series for once.

Ironically Sunshine was my first Mario platformer and I swear the controls are crisp. It all comes down to experience, I guess.

Sunshine physics are slippery as hell like the moveset is awesome I just wish I could use it to its full potential.

Like you'd HAVE to have grown up with sunshine to not have any issues with how it controls

I've never been good at Mario Tennis and I think I know why. I've spent so much time playing Wii Sports/Resort/Club that when you add movement and a bunch of new mechanics into tennis, my brain just can't get the hang of all of them compared to Wii Sports tennis. It sucks since I would love to be good at all the Mario sports games (I'm already good at Super Sluggers and half of Sports Mix), but at the same time, I just tend to like sticking to what I know.

Back