Who is your punching bag?

I'm taking a fondness of having Banjo be a beat-up mate.

I take him to matches where it's explosives only, and there are 7 Banjos jumping around and all having Kazooies poop out grenades, so it's a doozy.

You forgot the stage you exclusively play those matches on.

Banjo's Lair suffers from frame-rate drops from so many explosions, so yeah.

Banjo's a lot funnier with voice mods too. I made him say "UWAAAAAOOOOH" from Diddy Kong Racing when he's getting launched, for instance.

Don't you mean "Banjo's Altar"? And his flying whales and his giant tree?

In Smash for 3DS, these are my punching bags:

Shulk: Very slow, B special is useless, home stage (Gaur Plain) kinda sucks because it has very little platforms, and platforms you do have are very small.

Ganondorf: Also slow, Final smash does nothing to even the most damaged opponents.

Ah, I go against random's all the time, but I did have a match against a level nine Snake where I was Meta Knight and I beat him without dying, and I got a nine Mewtwo to, like, a hundred twenty percent without getting hit as Terry, which was tough considering he's not one of my mains.

Anyway, my punching bag? Besides literally anyone my brother plays as, pretty much any member of the FE overflow feels good to beat up. Also Bayonetta.
Ha ha, me too.

Anyway, my punching bag? Besides literally anyone my brother plays as, pretty much any member of the FE overflow feels good to beat up. Also Bayonetta.
You should try fighting them when they're all using the green recolor and see how hard it is to tell them apart.

Because haha FE similar to each other amirite?

(God dammit why did they add so many swordlocked foot lords...)

You try telling them apart.

HNI_0070.JPG

I don't even remember who's the guys getting Star KO'd.

I mean of course I can tell all of them apart, because I'm me.

What annoys me is that literally all non-FE fans can't tell them apart. (Personal pet peeve of mine, don't take it all that seriously)

you have to admit, it's hard to tell apart if they're silhouettes and in a distance

Not to me.

I've seen hundreds upon hundreds of FE characters. You could say I'm something of an expert at telling them apart. Even when it comes to blue-haired sword main characters.

haha anime swordsman bad

I can tell Corrin and Robin apart very easily, they look like different characters, because they are.

Byleth literally has every recurring physical weapon type in the series alongside swords. Bows, Lances, Axes... these are the weapons everyone complained weren't repped by FE. Just for that alone I think Byleth is a great addition to the FE roster.

Over half of their attacks don't use a sword, but people complain about them being an "anime swordsman" anyway because they aren't some obscure Nintendo character that almost everyone forgot.

okay here's a silhouette thumbnail test

vfCnm8K.png

"I can easily tell them apart" you might say, but that's because the pose themselves are being used as a crutch. It's not so easy when they're moving around at the same time and appear even smaller. Even though I'm familiar with the poses, they're still so similar that it takes more than it should to individually name these characters. If you're not familiar with the renders, it's even more of a challenge to tell these apart.

Robin is the only one where the silhouette stands out really but the rest, aren't actually that different as you claim.

Lucina does get a bit of a pass because her similarity to Marth is part of a plot, but the rest? Eh, don't see the justification for the homogeneous designs.

I do agree that for someone who knows nothing about FE a lot of the characters in Smash look way too similar to each other. They should have picked them dofferently avoid this issue, and they could have. It just so happens, sadly, that most of the ones we currently have carry a lot of significance behind them.

Marth is the og and of course he has to be here. Roy I argue could have actually been replaced by Leif or Sigurd, a scenario that was actually really likely since Thracia 776 and Genealogy of the holy War were th elast two FE games before Binding Blade, which at the time of Melee wasn't even released, so it's interesting that Roy was picked. But even then, Roy kinda represents GBA FE which is an important era for the series. Ike is massively popular and many people's favorite lord, and his games are adored by fans, and then the three Awakening characters come from Awakening, a game that "saved the series" (although I'd argue that Robin is the only absolutely necessary one among the three). Corrin and Byleth are merely here because their games were being pushed for.

So yeah, looking at it this way... you can kinda explain why they're here, but if I had to tweak the roster... Leif or Sigurd would actually be here alongside Roy (note that Sigurd fights on a horse so that's one thing I think would make him stand out), and Ephraim would fill the Lance lord role, meanwhile Ike can stay because he is fucking Ike, and Robin is pretty much the only remaining one. So yeah, you're right, quite a few of these fighters are kinda unnecessary, but what can you do.

I am slightly tempted to keep Corrin though because Green Haired Male Corrin is an excellent punching bag, which coincidentally brings us back on topic.

Green Haired Male Corrin is an excellent punching bag
Oh yeah he is. Spinach hair, that's what I call him.

Edit: LMAO both my sister and I had the same idea.

Lol we twins strike again by leaving a similar comment.

I did an eight player smash where they were all the green alt, and to be honest beyond the normal confusion of eight player smash I could tell who was who. They each have distinguishing feature, whether that be the glow on their sword (Corrin, Byleth), and bright green cape (Ike), or red hair (Roy). I did two battles after this, one with completely random fighters, and one where they're all non-fe characters with red alts, the latter of the two I was just as confused as the battle with the FE characters only.

Plus, this is literally a situation you will never run into unless you purposefully go out of your way to do it. For 99% of players, they'll normally be fighting one to two, three if they're really lucky, Fire Emblem characters at the same time, and there they'll be able to tell them apart easily, so I don't see why this would be an issue.

Back