Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

I don't like Giga Bowser very much.

Yeah, it's also a thing that contributes to the confusion of Smash Bros. being a ridiculous cartoon fighter (being a crossover where Young Link can ride a Dragoon into Cloud's sorry ass) or some dead-serious semi-realistic fighter (exemplified by Bowser, Diddy, and DK's voices not matching their character as well as the epic main theme and CG animations). I don't think the Giga Bowser transformation is necessary at this point. Bowser's Final Smash may as well just be him getting all huge, riding the Koopa Clown Car, and then punching fighters off. But even then, the voice ruins Bowser's character. If we were to try to make Bowser more Bowser, that voice has got to go.

I liked Giga Bowser as novelty boss fight in melee but the novelty has long since worn off.

Princess Mario said:
Smash Bros.' style is unnerving for me, like it's trying to be both ridiculous or serious and it can't really make up its mind
I'd agree, I liked the idea of trying to make Mario realistic at first but I just want Smash to use the same model style as Mario games like Super Mario Party, for the Mario characters. Same with voice work, especially for Bowser.

EDIT: Added quote because I didn't see the new page

Princess Mario said:
Smash Bros.' style is unnerving for me, like it's trying to be both ridiculous or serious and it can't really make up its mind
That's the sort of thing that happens when you have games like Mario and Kirby crossing with Fire Emblem and Metal Gear.

Mcmadness said:
I don't like Giga Bowser very much.
Apparently, Giga Bowser was based on Sakurai's original perception of Bowser.
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Giga_Bowser#Trivia

Giga Bowser was created as a throwback to the older "aggressive" look of Bowser from the pre-Super Mario 64 games. According to Masahiro Sakurai, he disliked having to use the newer design; he thought this original design was more frightening, appropriate for the character.

It gets even more jarring since Giga Bowser is technically classified as a "Smash" element, despite how heavily connected to Bowser it is

ThatGuy62 said:
That's the sort of thing that happens when you have games like Mario and Kirby crossing with Fire Emblem and Metal Gear.
Dunno, it's not even that. The situation is already ridiculous to begin with. You get cartoon particle effects, silly screenshots, funny sound effects, Star KOs, wacky items, but you also get realistic textures, tryhard seriousness like the initial trailer, Master Core, the Subspace Emissary, the theme, again. I can't say about other crossover fighting games, but do they also have this weird combination?

Princess Mario said:
ThatGuy62 said:
Dunno, it's not even that. The situation is already ridiculous to begin with. You get cartoon particle effects, silly screenshots, funny sound effects, Star KOs, wacky items, but you also get realistic textures, tryhard seriousness like the initial trailer, Master Core, the Subspace Emissary, the theme, again. I can't say about other crossover fighting games, but do they also have this weird combination?
Crossover fighting games kinda vary. You don't get rosters as out-there as Smash, but you do get the occasional stuff like Roll from Mega Man (specifically the chibified Powered Up version) fighting Yami from Okami. I guess Marvel crossovers in general qualify, but the character choices there aren't nearly varied as Smash, I feel.
I should mention that most fighting games, including Smash aside from SSE, don't really have a focus on plot. Smash in particular doesn't even have a plot most of the time. I guess that's why I feel that it works alright.

not sure if this is really unpopular per say but
it kinda irks me when the only smash dev talked about is Sakurai
like yeah he's put in a lot of effort and i respect the dude but also he doesnt single handedly make every smash game and i feel the other developers should get more credit/mentions

Well he is the director. He's pretty much the guy who tells the developers what to do.

I do agree it's more complex than that, but most decisions made about the game generally have to go by him. Though we don't know how much control he exerts over the entire thing. I also find it strange that compared to other Mario titles, we always refer when stuff happens to him rather than name of company or publisher or whatever.

Technically, Smash ain't a "Mario" title.

I guess that Sakurai is just a pretty popular guy among smash fans, which is why they often refer to him most. That's... that's it.

Smash Bros was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

Gasp.

And I definitely do not own a copy of every smash bros game to date minus melee.

Stock matches outside of the precise 1 v 1 format without items on legal stages are rubbish.

Brawl is super duper underrated. People act like it's the black sheep of the series despite its biggest flaws really only hurting the competitive scene. If you aren't a really advanced player, these things don't hurt it that much imo.

Czario said:
Brawl is super duper underrated. People act like it's the black sheep of the series despite its biggest flaws really only hurting the competitive scene. If you aren't a really advanced player, these things don't hurt it that much imo.
Thisthisthisthis oh man this. How can I like a post twice because I want to. Seems Smash is only popular competitively and the for fun side of it is overlooked to hell.

Czario said:
Eh, I think even casual players can admit that tripping is an awful mechanic and the game would not be hindered by a faster and less floaty combat system. Also, the ugly art style.

I love Brawl, it has a ton going for it and it's probably the most ambitious Smash game. But naturally, a game with that ambition can't shine in every respect.

Your points are valid, I just think most of these things are minor inconveniences at worst (again unless you're competitive in which case it's fully acceptable to avoid the game for those reasons). I will say though, that as someone who plays a lot of Mario Kart, I never found tripping more of an annoyance than a blue shell at the end of a good race.

This was my comment on Nathaniel Bandy's recent "How Super Smash Bros. Brawl is Mind Blowing!" video.
Honestly, if just tripping was removed, I would consider Brawl the best Smash game.

Melee fundamentalists can cry me a river.
The floaty-ness didn't really bother me (but then again, Peach is one of my mains, so I'm used to floaty-ness), and I liked the details on the "grittier" art style.

Czario said:
In my opinion, Brawl is easily the worst one and arguably a bad influence on the series. The tripping was really bad, but it was removed in the next game and it can be patched out anyway through codes. If Brawl didn't try so hard going for the "epic" "realistic" approach, we would've never had those horrendous sorry excuses for voices that were given to Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Bowser, and Diddy Kong, and maybe Peach, but those voices are stubborn by constantly reappearing in each subsequent game and also appearing in fangames(!), where they have no business being there either. I give you that Brawl has a good modding scene, but that's the only thing going for it. The game's balance is atrocious, though to be fair, Melee's balance is pretty awful and arguably more unpolished (G&W unable to L-cancel all his moves, two of Kirby's throws being escapable, Kirby's side special midair).

Mario's also complete trash, His voice direction is not only bad but he looks like he's miffed and they kept the look for Smash 4. Smash 5 made him more expressive than ever but the goddamn voice doesn't fit. I keep complaining about the voice because it's like having a peashooter for a gun or a car engine that sounds like shit; the sound detracts from the fun. Ganondorf is laughable and he managed to stay laughable in the next game. I don't mind that iteration of Ganondorf as I never ever took him seriously, but for Ganon fans, it's a rough ride I'm guessing.

Even as a casual game, it's not fun as the AI likes to team up on you, the mechanic that turns you into a hitbox when you're launched, and the poopy floaty mechanics as well as the crowd constantly screaming (and they don't even sound good unlike Smash 64's noisy crowd). The sound effects overall are not great either, probably the weakest-sounding punches and kicks in the series as well as the unimpressive explosion sounds that aren't from a Blast Box or a Smart Bomb. They also nerfed the Motion Sensor by having it disappear after a period amount of time when IMO it's more fun when it's there forever. They took out so many good Pokemon like Scizor, Unown, the fully evolved starters, Clefairy and and kept bad ones like Wobbuffet, Goldeen and Togepi, and introduced bad ones like Gardevoir, Bonsly. Not everything was retained for Smash 4, like Bonsly, the sound effects, the AI, to be fair, so I'm limiting some of these complaints to within Brawl.

Brawl's stages are among the worst in the series having horribly unbalanced stage hazards. That thorn in Rumble Falls is way too strong. Everything in Mario Bros. just doesn't work, and I mean everything. 75m feels busted and unplaytested, as the big swatch of soft platform on the top can't be dropped under, which makes it camp-heavy, prone to mass sharking, and can very easily pad out the match by simply knocking opponents upward and having them traverse all the way around that platform. That swath of unpassable-from-the-top platform is also stage hazard heavy, and the stage hazard is no slouch either. There's also Port Town Aero D(r)ive's cars which go fast and and kill you at low percentages, like killing you if you have 60% and you get hit. Summit has a OHKO fish that kills you just for being on water which I want to brutally eviscerate if I ever get the opportunity. Hanenbow is just gimmicky and an eyesore. Pictochat has some very obnoxious stage hazards. Flat Zone 2 has the Lion transformation which is just hell sometimes. Spear Pillar is turd, especially with Palkia screwing around with the screen and Cresselia throwing obnoxious energy toenail clippings.The Halberd looks really ugly and can do with a better sky (though the crappy diarrhea sky is kept in Smash 4). Mushroomy Kingdom's inclusion and design is completely absurd, like having a homage to Pallet Town but Pallet Town is in the middle of a Silent Hill-style outbreak and was abandoned. New Pork City is just... awful. It's not an interesting layout unlike Great Cave Offensive or Palutena's Temple, having a huge swath of emptiness on the top. But it might be more fun in 8 player Smash, but IMO, everything's more fun in 8-Player Smash.

The Subspace Emissary is a good single-player experience to waste time, but IMO I think it's not as great as people these days say it is. I'm just not fond of how it plays, that I can't even just stick to one character because I'm forced to use another if I lose a stock. I also think it's stupid to make original enemies and characters when it's an extremely varied crossover game which can benefit from enemies that are all over the place. Smash Run did its job much better even if there are like 2/3 Kid Icarus Uprising enemies.

But hey, it has my favorite iteration of the Beam Sword, it introduced the Blast Box and Smart Bombs, and it's the last game where getting launched actually can either Star KOs you or Screen KOs you rather than in Smash 4 where you end up getting Blast KO'd for whatever reason, probably because this world hates Jigglypuff and a satisfying KO. It also has Cracker Launcher I guess. But Brawl is bad on the casual aspect of it too.

Can I just say how much I like the realistic art style, it adds a consistency between the characters that isn't there in Sm4sh. I also like the new looks for Mario and Bowser in Smash Ultimate for the same reason.

Clashing art styles is fine for me. I actually rather they didn't try to take the games so seriously because, c'mon, the premise of it is already silly to begin with.

I think people take for granted how much Brawl added and how much Smash 4 is actually derived from Brawl: Final Smashes, a huge adventure mode that actually felt like a huge crossover of all your favorite Nintendo characters, Stage Builder, waaaay more music, and more. Brawl was the first game to reach the full potential of the series in terms of sheer content imo. Melee had a ton of content as well and that's really impressive considering its short development time, but Brawl kept nearly all of the modes and features Melee had and added even more to create a game absolutely bursting with content. Heck, they had to put Brawl on a double-layered disc to get everything to fit (a status that only a few other Wii games hold, such as Metroid Prime Trilogy)! Brawl had so much content that they pretty much couldn't expand on it in Smash 4; they added new modes, but at the expense of removing some from Brawl. Smash 4 also feels kinda derivative of Brawl in some ways, like the sound effects and voices, the way they handled music, the menus, and even a lot of stages from Brawl.

The biggest flaws of Brawl are its slower, less competitive mechanics and its unbalanced roster. However, these things don't matter quite as much if you aren't competitive. What I mean by competitive is basically using metagame mechanics. If you don't use wavedashing or L-canceling in Melee and just use the mechanics specifically intended by the developers (that is, all the normal attacks and controls), then Brawl lacking these things won't hurt at all; it will just feel like any other Smash Bros. game except with somewhat slower gameplay. Even tripping becomes just an occasional minor annoyance at least outside of 1v.1s. The unbalanced roster will still affect you somewhat (it's difficult to win as Ganondorf under any circumstances), but since who wins at this level depends more on which person is better at Smash and less on which character is better, the effect will be severely lessened. You can play as Meta Knight all you want, but if the other person is better than you, that's that. I sincerely doubt that literally all the people who say Brawl is bad are even skilled enough for the aforementioned flaws to make a major difference. That's why Brawl is underrated.

I'm not saying Brawl is better than the other games per se, but I think it should be placed on equal ground with Melee and Smash Wii U. I can't decide which one of the three is the best, honestly. I will say it's better than Smash 64 and 3DS, but I think a lot of people would agree with that.

Princess Mario said:
*long post*
For you, it's probably a lot of minor things piling up to make a less enjoyable experience, but frankly, a lot of the stuff you listed just doesn't bother me much personally. The thing I can agree with the most that you said is that Brawl did have a lot of bad stages (especially Rumble Falls, Mario Bros., 75m), but it still had a lot of good ones, many of which returned in Smash 4.

I find Smash 3DS to be pretty underrated, actually. It's a Smash Bros. I can play in the waiting room and it has Smash Run in it (we'll see about that when Smash Ultimate is released but frankly, I find the 3DS easier to carry around than the Switch). Plus its moddable and almost has the same mod limitations as Smash 4, being the most free game in the series to mod.

I dislike Brawl though. I don't play competitively and I still don't like its overall design. Besides, I pretty much have no reason to go back to it because mods are always available and have much better options than Brawl (though this applies to virtually any video game I can mod, really).

Back