Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

Marth, Corrin, Cloud: Abuse your stupid range on unsuspecting plumber mains and now you nailed their meta :mad:

It's not that they have the same moves, it's that there isn't too much variety to their attacks (if that makes sense). It's not as bad in Smash 4 because we've got characters like Robin and Corrin who have more diverse moves (Robin with their magic, Corrin with their dragon parts) but outside of them, the Links are the only other swordsmen with movepools that are approaching that diverse (mostly via the B-Moves).
One could argue that the same could be said for the hammer users, but they're less noticeable because there aren't as many.

Yup.

And spam the u-air as many times as cash you will want to earn from a tournament, and as long as no one exploits your stupid recovery, which is thankfully awful, you should be good.

Oh, and probably use some other moves, I don't know. Can't be too hard since unlike Shulk, Cloud ain't all that slow.

J-Yoshi64 said:
I don't want Waluigi playable in Smash.

Daisy's (Since I know you mentioned you want her in) probably not getting in unless Waluigi does too. While I favor Waluigi, if either/or of these two characters ever make it. Chances are the other will too. I just feel like they'd be packaged together.

Daisy may have Super Mario Land. But if we're really honest, if they made it in it'd likely to represent the many Mario Spin-off series. Of which Waluigi and Daisy would both be reps for.

In other words, Daisy fans actually should support Waluigi too. Because Waluigi would remove any doubt about Daisy. And vice versa for those who truly, truly, TRULY want Waluigi in.

As much as Waluigi is getting shafted again and again and I don't expect him in, I really love to have Smash Bros. themed matches: Mario & Luigi beat the living excreta out of Wario & Waluigi.

Northern Verve said:
J-Yoshi64 said:

Daisy's (Since I know you mentioned you want her in) probably not getting in unless Waluigi does too. While I favor Waluigi, if either/or of these two characters ever make it. Chances are the other will too. I just feel like they'd be packaged together.

Daisy may have Super Mario Land. But if we're really honest, if they made it in it'd likely to represent the many Mario Spin-off series. Of which Waluigi and Daisy would both be reps for.

In other words, Daisy fans actually should support Waluigi too. Because Waluigi would remove any doubt about Daisy. And vice versa for those who truly, truly, TRULY want Waluigi in.

Well, if we look at recent examples it shows that they are not exactly a package deal. Daisy got in Super Mario Run by herself. There is a Mario Odyssey Waluigi costume but not one for Daisy. Waluigi was not in Mario Kart 7.

Something I didn't realize until I saw an "alt/costume" comparison chart was that Peach's "Daisy" color actually had more effort put into it in Melee: It made her tan and even changed elements of her dress rather than just recoloring it (though that might be due to the details still being textures at that point). Compare that with later games where they just apply the colors and call it a day.
Makes me wonder why they don't do that again. I mean, we have the Koopalings as alts for Bowser Jr., why not make Daisy an alt for Peach to get her in?

takes more effort model importing than texture editing. also the koopalings look like utter hack jobs

memoryman3 said:
Northern Verve said:
J-Yoshi64 said:

Well, if we look at recent examples it shows that they are not exactly a package deal. Daisy got in Super Mario Run by herself. There is a Mario Odyssey Waluigi costume but not one for Daisy. Waluigi was not in Mario Kart 7.

I think Smash works a little differently then just costumes or spin-off appearances. Maybe there's a slight chance one appears before the other, but one getting in means just about every reason people have brought up why either won't make it in Smash is moot. Even if only one of Waluigi or Daisy makes it in Smash they absolutely should include the other either later in the same game or definitely in the next game afterward.

Both sides between Daisy and Waluigi could point to a few reasons why the other would come first. Waluigi fans have that Waluigi seems to overall be the more popular character (Even if it's mostly meme popularity), Assist Trophy status being more acknowledgement then just a Peach alt, and how long it took for Daisy to finally get a Mario Maker costume when Waluigi was in immediately. Daisy fans will bring up Super Mario Land and/or that she's the's the older character of the two, and being included recently in Super Mario Run.

But they both also have the same reasons for why they haven't been included in Smash yet such as being relegated to Spin-offs, have rarely or never appeared in a mainline game, and deemed less important to other characters that are conceived as likelier for Smash. When talking Mario reps whichever it is Waluigi or Daisy the answer is usually "What makes them more likely then Captain Toad (Or Toad in general) or Paper Mario?" or even "Do we really need more Mario reps? Especially spin-off fodder like those characters?".

Sure, there should naturally be a rivalry between the two Character support groups because we don't know how much more Mario spots will be added or even if they'll add any more at all. But if one gets in, the issues with the other's eligibility for Smash disappears. Even if it takes another game until that other character makes it in. So it'd be beneficial to both fans who really, really, really want Daisy and/or Waluigi in that they support both even if they have some hesitations about the other character.

I personally feel it's more likely they're either both in or they're both out. I even believe that if we were to get both, they'd be announced in the same newcomer trailer if a Mario spin-off inspired Smash trailer ever happened. Like imagine if the first thing we see in a new Smash trailer is a Mario party board, Mario Kart track (Hell we had Rainbow Road appear to reveal Rosalina), or a tennis court. It'd be easy to show off one new character immediately and the other joins in shortly after.

Bandanna Waddle Dee said:
Bowser sounds weird in the series:

Yeah, for some reason Sakurai gave DK, Diddy and Bowser realistic sounds (He felt they fit more?)
It's a lot more jarring in Smash 4 where not only does Bowser actually look and move like Bowser, but Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings reuse their sounds from Mario Kart and thus sound normal.

The voice direction in the series overall can use some work.

Most characters make some unsatisfactory grunting noise when they die? C'mon.

Back