General Discussion

Course descriptions tend to be like this (I should know, I wrote quite a few of them back in the day cough), when I think they should be rewritten to be more of a general overview of the course than a sentence-by-sentence walkthrough of it.

It's not really proposal material, just good writing we need to do.

Um is this coin official because I found this at a gas station because I could not find this in the wiki
I got Yoshi candies
A Wario Coin
And a sticker of Mario and a sticker of Rosalina
Super Mario Wonderball Prize – Lolli and Pops

https://play.nintendo.com/news-tips/news/september-update-dlc-mario-golf/

The shell-shielded Koopa Troopa can make the ball bounce several times, while Nimble Ninji can use Glide Dash and float over opponents on the way to the next hole.

"Nimble Ninji"? Most likely a typo, considering "shell-shielded" is not capitalized in the Koopa Troopa bit. I've explained this situation in the Mario Golf: Super Rush section on Ninji's page—do you guys think it's worth keeping?

I know this board isn't super active, but I have not many places to discuss a little about "references to other games" sort short of enacting a proposal (and then possibly getting comments that have perspective I never thought of, so I don't want to go to proposal route yet). I've looked at Mario Tennis Aces and I noticed a lot of its references were basically just "stock art that just so happened to first appear in x game is in Mario Tennis Aces and so it's a reference to x game". Or, a voice effect that has been reused from another game even though they might as well be stock. I feel we should narrow that down more. Of course there's sometimes a little debate on what's "stock" or not, but I don't think it's necessarily a reference to Mario Kart if Mario says "whoohoo" in Mario Tennis in the same way as he did in Mario Kart.

I know this board isn't super active, but I have not many places to discuss a little about "references to other games" sort short of enacting a proposal (and then possibly getting comments that have perspective I never thought of, so I don't want to go to proposal route yet). I've looked at Mario Tennis Aces and I noticed a lot of its references were basically just "stock art that just so happened to first appear in x game is in Mario Tennis Aces and so it's a reference to x game". Or, a voice effect that has been reused from another game even though they might as well be stock. I feel we should narrow that down more. Of course there's sometimes a little debate on what's "stock" or not, but I don't think it's necessarily a reference to Mario Kart if Mario says "whoohoo" in Mario Tennis in the same way as he did in Mario Kart.
I feel like I proposed something similar to this a while back but the general consensus then was "they reused an asset made for this game so it's a reference". Still don't quite agree with that, so I'd be on board with this.

EDIT: Nevermind I was completely wrong, I found the original proposal and the issue was that there was no consensus, but it was generally leaning in the direction of them not being references, at least in certain cases.

Last edited:
(late reply) lol now I remember opposing it on grounds that references should be a case-by-case thing. I guess it IS individual call apparently but I feel it would be nice if it was codified or something.

Anyway another question/concern I have is regarding a "list of game appearances" subsections we're getting. I know MarioWiki is primarily about its video games but should this be limited to games? It's good as a quick overview but sometimes it's also nice to see some whack appearances.

Though I do think those appearance sections should be constrained to an extent. Mario's appearances section is huuuuge enough already (its formatting is also... different from the other pages mainly because I at the time used Wikipedia as a base for Mario's appearances) and he has received a plethora of comics all for himself so..... but I thought it would be neat if we could figure out we could see when, say, Waluigi appeared in this one chapter of Super Mario-kun alongside Waluigi's other appearances, we have this neat timeline and such without those summaries bogging down this overview.

Maybe we could conjure up a list of other media appearances as well, such as list of television, manga, music, or book appearances.

qweshtchiun:

let's say two or more conceptually identical versions of a character render exist, but each lacks a technical quality that the other renders have. how do we decide which of these render(s) to be documented on the wiki? or can all of them stay?

example: here's two extremely similar renders of toad; one is a full view of the character but has some dither in the shading, while the other lacks the dither but is cropped. in my opinion, there's enough of a technical trade-off between these two versions that keeping the one on the left simply because it's un-cropped, as common sense normally dictates, would make for a bit of a simplistic basis here

PN_Holiday_2022_Toad.png
NHGG2022_Toad_Artwork.png

Last edited:
i'd say keep both of them just for that technical difference

As part of their promotion of Wave 2 of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass, several official Mario Kart Facebook pages localized for European audiences posted a screenshot showing Tanooki Mario driving near a Penguin in GBA Snow Land, with descriptions that translate to "Penguins never forget." or "A penguin never forgets."[5][6][7][8] The descriptions, together with the picture, likely reference a popular gameplay act in Super Mario 64 wherein players would intentionally drop the Baby Penguin off-bounds in the course Cool, Cool Mountain,[9][10] implying that Mario is culpable for this act and that penguins hold a grudge against him as a result.

I added this to the List of references in the Mario franchise page. Any objections? The allusion seems pretty clear-cut, unless I'm missing something.

Nintendo 3DS#Themes

Hey, sorry for this being literally last-minute but anyone with American 3DSs willing to check for any differences in the theme names, descriptions and song names (and any missing themes)?

this may come across as streisand effect, but i gotta ask:

would it be a good idea to blur the background people in this photo and then delete the original revision? note that this image comes directly from nintendo's own website

Probably should blur the faces if shown.

Hey, I just visited the Mobile version of the Mariowiki, and it looks like it has a new logo! When was this change made?

Am I tripping or did the wiki use to have a page for the concept of invincibility frames (or "iframes")? The term describes a brief period of time in many video games during which you're immune to most obstacles, typically caused by taking damage or spawning. Often this is visually indicated by your character flashing repeatedly or taking on a red hue.

Not only is this a significant gameplay aspect in Mario games, it may even display additional qualities specific to a Mario game: for instance, in Mario Kart Tour, if you bump into an obstacle immediately after you've crashed (and have thus triggered the iframes), you get points from said obstacle as if you used an item on it, something that doesn't happen if you run into the obstacle normally. I believe the concept definitely merits a page, and if it did have a page at some point, I'd be interested in seeing the discussion that led to its removal.

Am I tripping or did the wiki use to have a page for the concept of invincibility frames (or "iframes")? The term describes a brief period of time in many video games during which you're immune to most obstacles, typically caused by taking damage or spawning. Often this is visually indicated by your character flashing repeatedly or taking on a red hue.

Not only is this a significant gameplay aspect in Mario games, it may even display additional qualities specific to a Mario game: for instance, in Mario Kart Tour, if you bump into an obstacle immediately after you've crashed (and have thus triggered the iframes), you get points from said obstacle as if you used an item on it, something that doesn't happen if you run into the obstacle normally. I believe the concept definitely merits a page, and if it did have a page at some point, I'd be interested in seeing the discussion that led to its removal.
There was never a page for this, as far as I know.

Back