Your headcanons

well
EKcJlBfWwAAE8uH.jpg
i ignore canon if i so wish... i ignore the fact that candy kong was supposed to be his girlfriend or wahtever

after thinking over some lines by nokis ive seen in sunshine, and these descriptions in super sluggers,
image.png
(these nokis are clearly girls)
ive come to the conclusion that nokis just refer to anyone and everyone as a guy. its just a completely gender neutral term for them. who knows how this happened

i had a convoluted explanation that i realised completely fell apart, but at the very least if its not gender neutral you can sort of infer they use that word a lot anyway
2021040220545100_c.jpg
2021040221053300_c.jpg

and quotes from sirena beach from two separate nokis:
"I'm beginning to have my doubts about this guy..."
"The guy in front of me got the last one. I'm so unlucky..." (note: idk who "the guy" is referring to in this instance)
sure this explanation isnt from much of the game, only sirena and gelato beach, and im not sure if this appeaers anywhere else, but this is My headcanon so I get to choose the. headcanon

I've always thought "guys" was gender-neutral when referring to a group but referring to an individual female as a "guy" seems kind of weird and I don't think it's correct, but then again there's also female Shy Guys in the Mario universe so

yeah yeah ! my line of thought was that even singular "guy" is entirely gender neutral for nokis and that i dont know how happened

The Paper Mario book in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam does not host the actual universe of the Paper Mario series, it's just a crappy fanfiction.

My thoughts exactly! Since the book only seemed to be referencing Sticker Star I headcanon the first three Paper Marios actually happened in the main canon and the book was probably made by Peach with her Wish powers.

So Mr. L is from main canon I don't make the rules.

I don't object to post-Sticker Star games happening in the same "canon" as the original three. It's just Mario & Luigi's paper stuff that I discount because the game parades itself as a crossover with a partner RPG series while making zero effort to properly homage that series. There's no recognition of it beyond the usual Mario cast showing up in their paper designs.

The usual Mario cast in their paper designs isn't exactly a small amount of characters you know.

Unless you actually expect a mid budget video game series to actually manage to have all those old characters and the copies of the main ones actually appear and do something important beyond just showing up and being like "hey we exist, we won't do anything at all but we exist" and have a cohesive narrative that isn't a complete mess.

what you say is exactly what the developers claimed in an interview on Miiverse: they wanted to work with more established characters so they have a lighter workload in a relatively short timeframe. (I have the memory of a gas particle and misremember what I read previously, please excuse this display of wrong factuality.)

that said, it's no secret the game doesn't actually pay homage to Paper Mario other than Sticker Star and the paper characters don't seem to do anything from that series gameplay wise, just generic paper moves.

IDK i'm basing this one on reviews. i haven't played the game lol

Last edited:
It wasn't so they'd have a lighter workload, it was because when they tried to do that it became a convoluted mess, the opposite of what a simple rpg series should be.

Plus the game never once claimed it was trying to pay homage to the Paper Mario series at large, it was a game about the bros teaming up with Paper Mario, as in the guy Paper Mario, I have no idea why people assume this would have brought back a bunch of old characters when said old characters don't even reappear in their original series beyond the occasional cameo.

If it wasn't trying to pay homage to the Paper Mario series then what was the point of making it? The only paper characters with any story relevance are Mario, Peach, Bowser, Junior, and Kamek, and none of them even have a role that's not just exactly what their M&L counterpart does in the story. (Yeah, they're the same characters with the same personalities, but is that really the best you can do with them?) Other than that, Luigi appears in a cameo and there's enemies and generic Toads. The M&L series hasn't had a problem with a decently sized cast before, but all we get for this crossover is a bare bones story of "Bowser kidnapped Peach, again!" and a few of the characters have a duplicate hanging around with them.

To make a game with a third character and to use as many gameplay ideas they could come up with with said third character.

Thats how the whole game originally started.

Plus M&L stories were always barebones, heroes teaming up to defeat a team up of their arch enemies is a fairly basic 101 cross over scenario.

Them focusing on gameplay doesn't excuse a lack of creativity in the character department. The devs of Super Mario Odyssey have gone on record saying they put a lot of focus on worldbuilding to complement the gameplay, and the end result, as many of us can attest, was a lovely experience. These two elements are not mutually exclusive, especially when proper worldbuilding has proved time and again to benefit Mario games significantly.

I'm sure Paper Jam is a fun game with Nintendo's seal of quality and all that jazz, but, as with Sticker Star, some people would have liked a more derivative type of worldbuilding than what's present in your usual Mario spin-off.

And that's okay.

I personally think SPM's overarching character design is egregious but I'll always support more daring, unique ventures like this one over the decision to recycle countless, nameless, boring Toad NPCs that at most differ through a hat.

Last edited:
Back