Supper Mario Broth

tumblr_oidwwfoVLy1rrftcdo2_1280.jpg

I like the third one I'm gonna call him M Bowson.

tumblr_oj85i7ip2N1rrftcdo2_250.jpg
tumblr_oj85i7ip2N1rrftcdo1_250.jpg

In 2015, Nintendo released a 2D design of Samurai Mario as part of the new artwork in the yearly Nintendo Calendar. Later, in 2016, a 3D model of Samurai Mario appeared in a promotional wallpaper for Super Mario Run. Making both a 2D and a 3D form of the same design seems like a considerable level of effort for something intended only for promotional material, which could suggest that Samurai Mario might be significant in the future.

MARIO SAMURAI WARRIORS OR BUST.

LeftyGreenMario said:
tumblr_oj85i7ip2N1rrftcdo2_250.jpg
tumblr_oj85i7ip2N1rrftcdo1_250.jpg

In 2015, Nintendo released a 2D design of Samurai Mario as part of the new artwork in the yearly Nintendo Calendar. Later, in 2016, a 3D model of Samurai Mario appeared in a promotional wallpaper for Super Mario Run. Making both a 2D and a 3D form of the same design seems like a considerable level of effort for something intended only for promotional material, which could suggest that Samurai Mario might be significant in the future.

MARIO SAMURAI WARRIORS OR BUST.
I approve this artwork! :mario:

Anyone knows what prompted this statement?

That's what a lot of reposters in tumblr seem to think too.

Time Turner said:
Magikrazy said:
who?
The Third Mario brother created by vinesauce aka Vinny. He wears orange and has a droopier moustache compared to the other Bros. He's called Sponge because he soaks up the negative emotions of others, and as such is constantly depressed. He was a character in Vinny's stream series of Tomodachi Life. He was pretty much never happy, and his love was unrequited by every girl he asked out. His only friend on the whole island was David Bowie.

woah man I can't absorb that much sponge lore

This four minute video quite handily tells you everything you need to know.

I found it pretty amusing to see this on the wiki's Twitter...
QLVXIwX.png
...and then this on the Broth shortly afterwards:
hGDUxHh.jpg

It's like they were pleading the writers of the other novelizations not to attempt this one.

http://www.suppermariobroth.com/post/159688376510/the-supper-mario-broth-twitter-mariobrothblog

ong-time Supper Mario Broth readers might remember an earlier version of the Twitter account, run by this blog’s original creator. Due to containing non-factual content and attempts at “jokes”, it had to be deleted.

I'm intrigued by the uncharacteristic undertone of contempt and implication of conflict behind whoever runs the blog now and its creator. Like the jokes were so bad they had to be taken out and shot in a back alley.

(I remember when the original twitter was up, I corrected one of their tweet and it was deleted shortly after. Wondering if I'm responsible for its deletion now...)

Oh my gosh

One of those tweets shows what Birdo's skeleton looks like

Finally

I was so curious about that and I can't even remember why

This blog reposted a fan art of mine a while ago, I was flattered. It's not there now though, probably because of the new focus on exclusively official stuff (though that doesn't explain why they still post bootlegs)

Anyways, their stuff is still interesting. IIRC they had some rare Superstar Saga artwork at one time, though I have no idea if it was official.

tumblr_oos2ngUpx81rrftcdo1_540.jpg

They says this is concept art of Bowser, and I replied this to them:
I think I read somewhere that Miyamoto intended for him to be an ox, then someone asked "why is an ox the leader of the turtle army" and so he was changed to a turtle with ox-like features. So I have no idea when this drawing could be from relative to any of that.

SiFi said:
They says this is concept art of Bowser, and I replied this to them:
I think I read somewhere that Miyamoto intended for him to be an ox, then someone asked "why is an ox the leader of the turtle army" and so he was changed to a turtle with ox-like features. So I have no idea when this drawing could be from relative to any of that.
Get ready for an incoming wall of text...

From Iwata Asks Nintendo DS Volume 8: Yoichi Kotabe:

[quote author=Shigeru Miyamoto]Originally, ever since we made Donkey Kong, on many occasions I had done rough sketches of Mario in pencil and then given them to an external illustrator to polish up. When we came out with Super Mario Bros., I was thinking about asking a professional manga artist or a well-known illustrator to do the art, but time was running out, so I drew the original art for the package myself.[/quote]

And that art is
image_mario_package.jpg

So, the first design of Bowser came from Miyamoto himself:
Miyamoto: Bowser changed a lot, too. I'd been drawing Mario for quite a while, so there were a lot of things on how I wanted him to look like, but I hadn't drawn Bowser that much, so I couldn't get the lines to come together right. I like Toei Animation's work from around the time of Alakazam the Great, and the ox that appears in that...

Kotabe: Oh, I remember you talking about that.

Miyamoto: I told him how I liked that ox.

Kotabe: The ox king. Miyamoto-san liked that ox, and that was how he imagined Bowser. When you see the package art he drew, Bowser does look a bit like an ox. But after that, Takashi Tezuka said...

Miyamoto: He said it was a turtle.

Kotabe: I thought, "Oh, it's a turtle?"

Everyone: (laughs)

Miyamoto: I'd been drawing something completely incomprehensible-a turtle's body with an ox's head! (laughs) Through our discussions, his appearance eventually came together, though. Since Bowser was in the turtle family together with the Koopa Troopas, we began to see similar lines between the two, so we copied those as faithfully as possible and move on to the next illustration. I started congratulating myself, saying, "Wow, I can really make Bowser look cool now!"
But there's more to this story, as Tezuka's involvement in Bowser's redesign is actually acknowledged in the only sketch of said redesign that I could find (and that I'm spamming to death and beyond, since it has Morton, Wendy, Lemmy and Iggy two years before they were introduced...):

Bowser_Koopalings_sketch.png

The caption pretty much says that the this version of Bowser's design was the result of a collaboration between Kotabe and Tezuka.

In any case, this was the final result of Bowser's redesign:

image_kuppa_illust.gif

I'm pretty sure you already saw these images, as they were reused many times for Bowser's artwork images.

I don't know what to think about that image you posted, it's a bit suspicious, as all Bowser's artwork images we saw here have the spiked shell, just like Bowser's sprite in SMB and SMB: TLL.

I think we should first of all clarify what is the source of that image.

EDIT: ok, in the description the author is stated to be Miyamoto, I wonder what is the source, though, as it would be very interesting to know it.

It's amusing to see that Supper Mario Broth goes into breaks every now and then, and then suddenly there's new content! In case you can't tell, this is the time they are posting new tidbits on the Mario series. Is the fact that the person in charge of the site have to cite sources in order to showcase those interesting tidbits?

In the current batch of uploads, my favourite so far is this one:
tumblr_p47gopqYlM1rrftcdo1_r1_400.gif

Thank you for reading.

I love how you can just shoot fire at Ludwig as he is standing there. It's like he's daydreaming while you throw fireballs at him. It's even funnier that when he's defeated, his standing sprite spins around and disappear.

This is funny for how there is a Lakitu without his glasses, Red Luigi and Green Mario.

Thank you for reading.

Lakitu should never take his goggles off.

Period.

Back