Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

I gave away the Wii U version when I was buying the Deluxe version at Gamestop.

i have no use for the wii u version either anyway. my wii u's disc drive is busted and can't play wii u cds anymore, forcing me to rely on digital installs to play wii u games >_>

I typically use the loadiine stuff rather than a CFW as apparently that requires you own an eshop game. I guess maybe I could snatch a Partners in Time copy out of the eshop but I think I'm pretty content with using the loadiine thing as of now. Besides, my Wii U can't read discs. Period. It leaves dumping and any sort of disc reading entirely out of the question, forcing me to rely on piracy to actually get the files needed for a digital install in the system, in which I did do. Unfortunately, Smash for Wii U takes up a good chunk of my system space, causing me to back-up saves in several USB sticks and then deleting saves for the system.

Shy Guy on Wheels said:
Speaking of modding on Wii U and Switch, are there any consistent ways to mod the Switch?
The only consistent way I know requires you own a Switch prior to summer 2018 (or 2017, not super sure, got my Switch at the christmas before it was patched) (where there's a hardware exploit, check here if your Switch can be hardware exploited) grab some tiny plastic thingy (a "jig" like this), which you can also 3d print, get a copper wire from a cheap ethernet cable you cut open, and then you fit that wire into the teeny plastic thingy, and you slide it in the right joycon rail on the Switch (the red side if you have a colorful Switch) to try grounding the pins inside the joycon rail (pin 10). You then try to boot into recovery mode (RCM) by holding down VOL+. If nothing displays, you're doing it right. You then download some payloads in your computer, attach your Switch to the computer through cable, and you execute those payloads for your Switch, and then there's a basic screen with simple text and shows actions you do for the Switch. If you have the appropriate files in your SD card, you can boot into modded firmware like Atmosphere and so on. But you should back up your NAND and dump your BIS keys somewhere, it's for security reasons.

The thing is that the moment you power off your Switch, you have to do this process again. Not sure if there will be methods of modding the Switch without the tethering to the PC just to boot the payload (though you don't need it tethered all the time, just the part where you boot the payload). It's probably going to be annoying in the future when you make mods and test them out, because the Switch forces you to turn off every time you remove the SD card.

You can technically do this with a paperclip bent to a particular shape and downs the pins you need to down, but a jig makes it easier to ground the correct pins, and paperclips carry the risk of damaging your pins, owing to how scratchy and tough they are, so it's not recommended.

Advantage of doing this, is that you're taking advantage of a hardware flaw that Nintendo just can't patch out completely so while Nintendo does try to patch out Atmosphere and other exploits, they can't do a thing about your jig, so it doesn't take so long for Atmosphere to update.

Oh, and you should disable automatic updates through your system through changing your DNS in internet settings.

As for 3d printing the jig, that's doable and recommended, as the price in the link above is a bit much, and it's exactly what I did, got this jig (used this remix to help me bend the wires but I had to use a copper wire a bit longer to ground the pins), took like 5 minutes to print, and I had to play around with the copper wire for a while. I did got the thing finally booting to RCM, and I did successfully injected a payload, and I even had a mod for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe working briefly, so I speak from experience.

Oh, also, I just learned about an exploit called "deja vu" that allows people on patched units to exploit their Switch, though that requires firmware 4.2.0. and under, so that's probably out of question. Just don't update your Switch and burn fuses, it's not like Nintendo has anything worthwhile in those updates themselves except stability improvements forcing you to update your games and maybe save transfers?

A multitude of retro tracks will be added to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as part of paid DLC.

We're talking 48 new courses, including Coconut Mall and various courses from Tour, released over 6 waves till the end of 2023.

Pretty good they're acknowledging this game again!

Do we really need more tracks on a game that's almost 5 years old? My time with Mario Kart 8 has been over for a long time now.

New courses to play on an actually good Mario Kart game is great, but what's disappointing for me is that they all look like they're taken from Tour, meaning there's a lot less visual detail compared to the other courses in the base game. I really hope they don't skimp on the music aspect at least.

Last edited:
Come on, guys, it's double the base game's number of courses!

Granted, someone might have activated the Kong's paw to get them in:

n845dlq8hwg81.jpeg

These two will soon be in the same game. They mustn't have been too willing to spend a high budget on the graphical aspect of this expansion pass. But I'm quite happy with these courses' inclusion nonetheless.

Edit: Though, to me it seems like they simply didn't bother to add realistic textures to the environment models, rather than omitting overall graphical polish. The artstyle in the DLC courses is otherwise the same or very similar to that of the rest. It's still somewhat jarring.

Last edited:
My main worry with this is that it seems most of these are taken from Tour
I'm worried about this cuz Mario Kart Tour's track design sucks hard, it's way too simple because it needs to be playable on phones
Just taking the tracks from Tour and putting them in a console game will just make it even more apparent how lame the track design is
And also these new courses just don't fit with Mario Kart 8's base courses graphically
Some of these tracks look like Fortnite maps
48 courses sounds astounding but Nintendo's just pulling out tracks from their gacha garbage can and then just taping it on to their port of a Wii U game that's selling well
But whatever, new content for Mario Kart 8, neat
I'm never gonna buy this though because I don't play Mario Kart 8 enough to justify it
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is already five years old and Mario Kart 8 is eight years old now
I just want a new game

Super excited for the new cups, especially the MKT tracks remakes!
(Assuming they'll be remade)

Last edited:
I've been wanting more content for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for some time (and especially race on these tracks with my Protectors and fucking Peter Griffin/Mr. Krabs/Homer Simpson/Eddy as well as new music mods) but something is not ticking right with me. Aside from selfish mod reasons (they're going to screw around with the MSBTs and I had a pain getting my most updated version of it), I don't like the track designs from Mario Kart Tour, and I think it's a very bad place to draw the tracks from. Mario Kart Tour's tracks suffer from being designed so that they can work with shitty, imprecise phone controls and that doesn't translate very well to a game like Mario Kart 8 where it controls like a dream.

Not to mention, I don't like the trend of track widening because it causes tracks to be too easy and it causes the game to suffer that sense of speed.

Something about this Sky Garden looks off, like the layout or the textures used...idk what but I don't like it too much.

1644527111782.png

Granted I do think the new Coconut Mall looks...okay but it's still a massive downgrade compared to...say Sunshine Airport

1644527340220.png

1644527372559.png

Choco Mountain looks very disappointing and lifted straight from Tour, the texture edits and model work on this course kinda blow. It's acceptable for a mobile game, but for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, it's looks highly plain and downgraded and it's a stark contrast to the rest of the tracks in the game.

1644527427571.png

Not to mention, I DO wish we had new characters and new karts. New characters...might not be important (I mostly want them for mod reasons because I have the Protectors and Baby Luigi already playable) but new cars I think are a good thing to add for everyone, anyone can use the cars and they're not as resource consuming in the same way characters are.

As a person who has played EVERY SINGLE Mario Kart (Except GP1, GPVR, and Home Circuit.), here's my wish list:

SUPER MARIO KART
Any Koopa Beach, that's it

MARIO KART 64
Kalimari Desert
Sherbet Land or Frappe Snowland (would love to see the music inMK8 style)
Wario Stadium (To finish off the 64 remakes)
Bowser's Castle
Banshee Boardwalk

MARIO KART ADVANCE/SUPER CIRCUIT
Shy Guy Beach or Cheep-Cheep Lake
Sunset Wilds (THE ONE I WANT THE MOST)
Yoshi Desert
Lakeside Park
Rainbow Road

MARIO KART DOUBLE DASH!!
Mushroom City
DK Mountain
Wario Colosseum
Bowser's Castle
Rainbow Road

MARIO KART DS
Luigi's Mansion
Delfino Square
Waluigi Pinball
Bowser's Castle
Rainbow Road

MARIO KART WII
Toad's Factory
Koopa Cape
Moonview Highway
Bowser's Castle
Rainbow Road

MARIO KART 7
Wuhu Loop
Maka Wuhu
Rock Rock Mountain
Bowser's Castle
Rainbow Road

MARIO KART TOUR
Any New York Minute, Los Angeles Laps, Vancouver Velocity, or Sydney Spirit Track

These most likely won't get in but eh, just putting it in because why not.....
MARIO KART GP/GP2
Yoshi Park 1
Mario Highway
Bananan Ruins
Waluigi Stadium
Bowser Castle/Castle Wall
Diamond City
Any of the Rainbow Cup Tracks

MARIO KART GPDX
Bowser's Castle

Woah, what a long list

So, I've taken a look at the Mario Kart tour stage list now that it seems like that the Booster Pass is taking mainly from Mario Kart Tour. Even for courses that aren't in Tour that were announced are likely to be added to Tour eventually. Given Coconut Mall seems to match the aesthetic of the Mario Kart tour courses. With that in mind Because of this. We may actually already have a selection of Stages that are likely to make up the pass. I've narrowed down courses that have multiple versions to be just one. But I've also included potentially datamined tracks for Tour.

I'll put this all in a spoiler in case there's people hoping to remain blind and maintain some healthy speculation. I will say it doesn't mean that every single track in this is promised to be part of the Booster Pass but I would say it's very likely it at least takes up a majority of the tracks.

1. Paris Promenade
2. Toad Circuit
3. Choco Mountain
4. Coconut Mall
5. Tokyo Blur
6. Shroom Ridge
7. Sky Garden
8. Ninja Hideaway

9. New York Minute
10. London Loop
11. Vancouver Velocity
12. Los Angeles Laps
13. Merry Mountain
14. Berlin Byways
15. Sydney Sprint
16. Singapore Speedway
17. SNES Mario Circuit
18. SNES Ghost Valley
19. SNES Vanilla Lake
20. SNES Koopa Troopa Beach
21. N64 Koopa Troopa Beach
22. N64 Kalimari Desert
23. N64 Frappe Snowland
24. GBA Bowser's Castle
25. GBA Cheep CHeep Island
26. GBA Sunset Wilds
27. GCN Dino Dino Jungle
28. DS Luigi's Mansion
29. DS Waluigi Pinball
30. DS DK Pass
31. DS Airship Fortress
32. Wii DK Summit
33. Wii Maple Treeway
34. 3DS Toad Circuit
35. 3DS Daisy Hills
36. 3DS Cheep Cheep Lagoon
37. 3DS Shy Guy Bazaar
38. 3DS Mario Circuit
39. 3DS Rock Rock Mountain
40. 3DS Wario Shipyard
41. 3DS Rosalina's Ice World
42. 3DS Bowser's Castle
43. 3DS Rainbow Road
44. GCN Daisy Cruiser
45. Wii Koopa Cape
46. GBA Yoshi Desert
47. Wii Dry Dry Ruins
48. Wii Moonview Highway
49. GCN Mushroom Bridge
50. Unknown New Track

Bold = Confirmed
Underlined = Potentially Datamined in Tour

If the entire list of booster courses are from Mario Kart Tour. They could already only leave out 2 and they'd still take up all the slots. There is still the possibility they pull out some more Coconut Mall's where it's announced for the Booster Pass first before iit makes it into Tour. But I highly suggest putting expectations that a good majority of remade courses in Tour (That aren't already in MK8) are probably pretty likely to be in the booster pass.

I expect the 48 courses will be from Tour and "going to be in Tour, after the release of their MK8D counterparts".
And let's bring this thread back to the sticky threads

Looks identical. Just with MK8 lighting, and MK8 road textures

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:
800px-MK8-Course-Tour_ParisPromenade.jpg

Mario Kart Tour:
600px-MKT_Paris_Promenade_Scene.jpg

Reactions: JC.
Somehow Coconut Mall looks... worse than the Wii and 3DS versions? An entire shopping mall could have looked so much better for 8.

1. Paris Promenade
2. Toad Circuit
3. Choco Mountain
4. Coconut Mall
5. Tokyo Blur
6. Shroom Ridge
7. Sky Garden
8. Ninja Hideaway

9. New York Minute
10. London Loop
11. Vancouver Velocity
12. Los Angeles Laps
13. Merry Mountain
14. Berlin Byways
15. Sydney Sprint
16. Singapore Speedway
17. SNES Mario Circuit
18. SNES Ghost Valley
19. SNES Vanilla Lake
20. SNES Koopa Troopa Beach
21. N64 Koopa Troopa Beach
22. N64 Kalimari Desert
23. N64 Frappe Snowland
24. GBA Bowser's Castle
25. GBA Cheep CHeep Island
26. GBA Sunset Wilds
27. GCN Dino Dino Jungle
28. DS Luigi's Mansion
29. DS Waluigi Pinball
30. DS DK Pass
31. DS Airship Fortress
32. Wii DK Summit
33. Wii Maple Treeway
34. 3DS Toad Circuit
35. 3DS Daisy Hills
36. 3DS Cheep Cheep Lagoon
37. 3DS Shy Guy Bazaar
38. 3DS Mario Circuit
39. 3DS Rock Rock Mountain
40. 3DS Wario Shipyard
41. 3DS Rosalina's Ice World
42. 3DS Bowser's Castle
43. 3DS Rainbow Road
44. GCN Daisy Cruiser
45. Wii Koopa Cape
46. GBA Yoshi Desert
47. Wii Dry Dry Ruins
48. Wii Moonview Highway
49. GCN Mushroom Bridge
50. Unknown New Track

Bold = Confirmed
Underlined = Potentially Datamined in Tour

If the entire list of booster courses are from Mario Kart Tour. They could already only leave out 2 and they'd still take up all the slots. There is still the possibility they pull out some more Coconut Mall's where it's announced for the Booster Pass first before iit makes it into Tour. But I highly suggest putting expectations that a good majority of remade courses in Tour (That aren't already in MK8) are probably pretty likely to be in the booster pass.

I was just listing out all of Tour's tracks myself too (you forgot SNES Choco Island); there's suspiciously enough slots for most, if not all (if you count numbered variants as one), of the courses in Tour that aren't in MK8 to appear lol
And I get the feeling that if they do show a non-Tour course, it will be adapted for it.

I'm not getting my hopes up for any grand remakes or courses we haven't seen retro before (especially Wuhu Island sadly), but at least we might get 3DS Rainbow Road and Vancouver Velocity.

Last edited:
Come on, guys, it's double the base game's number of courses!

Granted, someone might have activated the Kong's paw to get them in:

View attachment 23008
These two will soon be in the same game. They mustn't have been too willing to spend a high budget on the graphical aspect of this expansion pass. But I'm quite happy with these courses' inclusion nonetheless.

Edit: Though, to me it seems like they simply didn't bother to add realistic textures to the environment models, rather than omitting overall graphical polish. The artstyle in the DLC courses is otherwise the same or very similar to that of the rest. It's still somewhat jarring.
I agree. The texture-work here looks utterly miserable, it's like they're from two different games. The cars, since they are a reused asset from the original Mario Kart 8, clash. The trees on the right look terrible, like they're cribbed from Unity asset packs. I hate the grass too a lot, as well as the signs. I could make better textures than that, quite insulting, honestly. This just overall looks like a neat student project on Unreal or Unity, but like not a final project, just a mashup to see how a track goes; it's a neat first project, but not something you'd expect from professional game developers of a bajillion dollar franchise, and with the student project, there's an expectation they'll revamp the textures for the final project.

MK8-Course-DS_ShroomRidge.jpg

I can't even tell if the image is from Mario Kart 8 and not Mario Kart Tour?

Sky Garden looks okay, but just from that shot. The roads, though, they're so much wider now, so I think that's pretty "ew".
MK8-Course-GBA_SkyGarden.jpg

We also have a convenient immediate comparison. Seriously the comparison is like golden bananas and rotten bananas.
MK8-Course-CloudtopCruise.png

Look at the level of detail of these two beanstalks. The latter has evident normal mapping to highlight veins and other imperfections on the beanstalks whereas Tour opted for a more saturated beanstalk which looks cartoonish, might be decent on mobile, but it's a clash with the existing beanstalk assets. Also look at the sky box. The "returned" version is a lot blander and way less detailed, just a simple gradient.

Also I'm afraid those roads are going to end up really wide again, as that's a usual trend trying to rework older tracks for newer games. It doesn't help that these tracks strictly use Tour's infrastructure, as in, the autosteer, the wide steering, the otherwise bad controls, all work to keep the tracks safe. You need a sense of speed and the feeling of precariousness when making good tracks, which was why my sister and I thought Super Circuit is so underrated (with those huge risky boosts and jumps in Ribbon Road and Sunset Wilds, those also being removed all together in their later versions, and boosts also not being as drastic as in Super Circuit). I don't like how Sky Garden looks; even DS had to make the roads so ultra wide, which Baby Park and Luigi Circuit were prime offenders.

Overall I really dislike the flat textures of the tracks and would vastly prefer more realistic textures. Flat textures indeed look "cartoonier" but they're SO bland and look sooo cheap. Y'know if you're going to remaster tracks, please actually work on the textures at bare minimum. I'd also advocate changing track layout to make it less like that Tour poseur and more catered to an actual Mario Kart game (with more difficult turns, narrower roads, etc).

I'm going to have to see more footage to see if the tracks are still fun to race on, but Tour seriously botched several tracks just due to how the original doesn't translate well to shoddier mobile controls, and if they're going to rely on Tour's crappy infrastructure as a base, racing on the tracks isn't going to feel the same or better than original. Hell I don't even know if the underwhelming presentation is going to affect my enjoyment of these tracks, so again, I need to see more gameplay.

My main worry with this is that it seems most of these are taken from Tour
I'm worried about this cuz Mario Kart Tour's track design sucks hard, it's way too simple because it needs to be playable on phones
Just taking the tracks from Tour and putting them in a console game will just make it even more apparent how lame the track design is
And also these new courses just don't fit with Mario Kart 8's base courses graphically
Some of these tracks look like Fortnite maps
48 courses sounds astounding but Nintendo's just pulling out tracks from their gacha garbage can and then just taping it on to their port of a Wii U game that's selling well
But whatever, new content for Mario Kart 8, neat
I'm never gonna buy this though because I don't play Mario Kart 8 enough to justify it
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is already five years old and Mario Kart 8 is eight years old now
I just want a new game
See above. I agree. I think even comparing it to Fortnite does Fortnite a disservice. Fortnite doesn't have these super flat colored textures, their trees and cliffs don't look like ass: cliffs have actual imperfections and details to them, etc.

If only we could have characters from Mario Kart Tour, too. I'd love to have the Peach alts in Mario Kart 8, as well as missing veteran Birdo, and newcomers Dixie Kong and Peachette.
Having the alts would be neat. Unlike tracks, they do translate fairly well to Mario Kart 8 due to very similar, if not same models and textures. Mods also show that they work well, including animations made for them. I'd really like some roster additions as well as car additions (Wild Wing??, though they look cheap in Tour, so I wonder if that if they're even going to port the karts there, they're also going to look worse in comparison to the base game cars).

Do we really need more tracks on a game that's almost 5 years old? My time with Mario Kart 8 has been over for a long time now.
I generally welcome content for a solid game that hasn't received support for years, and it was a little baffling why it didn't receive the stream of support that Smash Ultimate did, even while it continues to remain one of the best sellers for the system. I mean maybe it does cost money to make more content, idk, but wouldn't the payoff make it worth the cost? Nintendo can definitely afford content expansion for such a successful game, and it can generate more profit.

where is mario kart 9
There's probably no need to make Mario Kart 9, no need to reinvent the wheel or fix what isn't broken. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe hasn't dried out sales-wise, far from it. I believe Nintendo doesn't see much sense in building an entire new game when they can introduce content updates. Hell the trend in the games industry is making fewer and fewer games while focusing on content updates on those fewer games to try to prolong them.

Mario Kart Tour seriously lowered standards for Nintendo I guess. I don't think the track additions are wholly cynical per se, it's still an expansion to a game that deserved more content (especially over Tour), but they deserve pretty strong criticism for the cheap presentation.

I generally welcome content for a solid game that hasn't received support for years, and it was a little baffling why it didn't receive the stream of support that Smash Ultimate did, even while it continues to remain one of the best sellers for the system. I mean maybe it does cost money to make more content, idk, but wouldn't the payoff make it worth the cost? Nintendo can definitely afford content expansion for such a successful game, and it can generate more profit.

Even if that's true, there are those who have milked Mario Kart 8 to the point where it's time to move on. I get that the developers are completely occupied with developing Splatoon 3, but when you haven't had a new Mario Kart game since 2014 (excluding phone apps), you would think that we'd be long overdue for a new installment by now.

Also, keep in mind that we're only getting new tracks, so we're pretty much out of luck if we were hoping to see any of the Mario Kart Tour characters join in.

Back