Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

The funniest level in the game is The Secret Under the Moat, though, because it's funny causing Wario to get falling damage, making say "WOOOAHH!" and he gets recovered by the level's red coins so you can do it repeatedly on the way down. Not to mention he can become metal and get zapped by the Amps indefinitely, also making him say "WOOOAHH!".

You can play as him in most levels, barring some mini-levels such as the level he gets rescued in or the final Bowser level.

Wario can pick up signs and throw them as well as kill Tox Boxes so he's at least better than Yoshi (and to be fair, Yoshi can spit out Goombas and then run into them).

Wario can pick up signs and throw them as well as kill Tox Boxes so he's at least better than Yoshi (and to be fair, Yoshi can spit out Goombas and then run into them).
Technically Yoshi is the best character though since he can easily turn into any other character with the caps.

Yoshi can't even access an entire level though. And besides, only like, two stars in the entire game require him (Yoshi's Ice Sculpture and Frosty Slide for 8 Red Coins), the rest you can do by just Luigi alone.

To this day I'm still surprised Yoshi was the starting character, I expected him to be unlocked at 120 stars XD

Technically Yoshi is the best character though since he can easily turn into any other character with the caps.
I do think Yoshi's saddle should've been available, but on the other hand, the moment Yoshi gets hit, which can and will happen, he'll lose his hat and sometimes, the recovering animation is so slow, the cap disappears before you can get it back. And that means wasting time having to hunt for a respawned hat/Goomba with a hat in the level.

This.

Also:

-MKDS was best Mario Kart
-American/European SMB2 is better than Japanese SMB2.
-I don't want to see a Mario/Sonic platforming crossover.
-I disliked the P-Wing from SMB3.
-I find Yoshi's voice one of the most annoying in the series.

I want to see a sonic mega man crossover platformer but a mario sonic one would be really cool

I often see people using Super Mario 64 as an example of an older game that 'basically hasn't aged at all' and I honestly cannot agree with that.

Now, just to get this out of the way, I still think Mario 64 is a great game to play today and it has aged significantly less than many other early 3D games, but it's not a flawless experience in 2021.

From a control POV, I think the game is still fantastic, Nintendo really nailed controlling Mario in a 3D space, but what kills the game for me and why I can't consider it to 'not have aged' is the camera. The camera in Mario 64 suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks and I get why that is, it was the earliest 3D game to have a camera that was fully controllable separately from your character, so it was gonna be rough (and I know that the camera was basically the main criticism of the game even back in the 90s) and that's perfectly fine, but it just makes playing the game somewhat difficult today with how erratic it can be.

I will add that my feelings about Mario 64's controls vs the camera is the opposite when it comes to the DS version, I think the DS version has a much better camera system but the controls are a lot weaker and inferior to the N64 original due to the lack of an analog stick. (Yes I know you can use the touchscreen, it's still not the same to me IMO)

i played it for the first time at the end of the december and tbh even the controls felt a little clunky throughout! mostly the turning like mario stop taking this big ol arc every time i just wanna face the other direction
and oh yeah the sheer slipperiness everywhere as well

THANK YOU

Honestly if you want to see how garbage the camera in Mario 64 is just play Tick Tock Clock, it's a nightmare. It doesn't help at all that Mario's movement is influenced by the camera angle so you can end up running straight off a platform because the camera decided to move. Also agreed with everything Zelen said.

It's still a fun game and definitely worth playing at least once but it's aged quite a bit.

*tries to hold breath*
*fails*
Its sequels have better platforming experience. Sunshine's debatable however

I've been playing through Sunshine in 3D All-Stars and I think it's pretty good in terms of platforming, I miss the long jump and backwards somersault though. It makes the FLUDDless levels a lot harder when your only option to cross a large gap is to dive (and risk bonking your head on a platform instead or landing but sliding off the edge).

I've been playing through Sunshine in 3D All-Stars and I think it's pretty good in terms of platforming, I miss the long jump and backwards somersault though. It makes the FLUDDless levels a lot harder when your only option to cross a large gap is to dive (and risk bonking your head on a platform instead or landing but sliding off the edge).
To be fair sometimes the camera is way worse in 64 than Sunshine

Okay here it goes.

I really like Yoshi's New Island. Like a lot. I came into the game having low expectations and how everyone has perceived the game as mediocre, but I actually found myself wanting to play through more, enjoying it a lot myself. I'm in the process of 100%ing it, and I've done it for the first two worlds, including their special levels. I like how the game is generally on the easy side, but it also mixes up with the challenge to find all collectibles and especially 100%ing the special levels, which are designed to be short and sweet while also challenging (since they have no checkpoints to speak of) which I prefer over the overly long and drawn out special levels (hello Yoshi Tower enemy spam from DS hello the ridiculously long and convoluted endless world of yoshis from gba). One of the things I prefer the most was the collect-a-thon system: in the original and DS, you had to get everything in one go and I mean everything (stars, red coins, flowers) and if you missed one, then you're scull-fucked and you have to do the level over again. New Island, however, is more merciful and allows you to either focus on red coins, stars, or flowers and revisiting the level later to get the other ones you didn't get and you also have the option to get everything in one go too.

It is true that the game doesn't innovate much from the original but the quality of life improvements (such as the option for pausing to exit a level and the improved aforementioned collect-a-thon system), as well as an easier time collecting red eggs as opposed to sitting there attempting to bounce eggs off walls multiple times in an attempt to collect them) is something I welcome. I also found those 1-UP minigames in both the original and ds a huge waste of time since the game gift wraps you lives every second, so I also prefer the egg medals over them. One thing I do miss from the original are the items, though, and if it was included, it would be better. The original also feels more fluid, quicker, and more responsive to play too, but it's a minor thing.

The soundtrack is hit and miss, though and easily the worst aspect of the game because it's very polarized but that's easily fixable by modding with a lot of stinkers. While character graphics leave a lot to be desired, the environment design is actually very nice, and I like the backgrounds. Like this level for example looks like it took inspiration from traditional Chinese art and I'm a fan of it.

13.2.14_Screen_03_-_Yoshi%27s_New_Island.png

So yeah, this is a type of title where I actually don't mind the by-the-numbers lack of innovation, because I'm busy having too much fun to care. I also guess it was originally released in a time of platformer fatigue where we got a whole slew of them, but playing this in 2020-2021 when I originally had a general lack of interest in the games (collect-a-thon being my biggest annoyance with the original), I can safely say my opinion has changed for the better for the Yoshi's Island series.

While I think the original is better, I agree with you that New Island is not a bad game.

Have you played Woolly World? That one doesn't force you to collect everything in one go either.

Yeah as far as platformers on the 3DS go, it's not a bad choice at all. I'd really rather play this over New Super Mario Bros. 2 honestly, which compared to Yoshi's Island, felt even more dull and uninspirational because we already recently got Wii and U was coming up very shortly. Probably isn't good as Kirby: Planet Robobot which is probably the 3DS's best first-party platformer (the rest of the first-party 3DS platforming entries are ports like Donkey Kong Country, Wooly World, and Captain Toad) but I have zero regrets playing this game right now.

I haven't played Woolly World because Yoshi himself still somewhat bothers me, Baby Mario was in New Island to redeem that (though they really need to give him a proper voice like Touch & Go did) and resucing Baby Luigi was a pretty strong motivation to keep me going. That's kinda why I want another Yoshi's Island game rather than another solo Yoshi game, go back to its unique time-based mechanic and maybe make Baby Mario be more than just a stupid prop that acts like a kitchen timer, and also go back to the island setting. Kinda weird the games bring Baby Bowser there but neglect the other babies. I'd like to see Yoshi and Baby Mario/Baby Luigi actually interact with each other in some capacity. I remember DS had brief cutscenes but they were just characters sitting around just talking. Baby Mario saying "Thank you" to Yoshi in Touch & Go when Yoshi catches him was the most interaction we ever actually got out of those two.

I want to make Baby Mario likable rather than annoying. People kept him around because he was annoying if he didn't. People should keep him because they want to, not because they're forced to, and honestly if Baby Mario acted more of a character and less like an object, saving him would feel more like a player's part rather than the game forcing you to.

They NEED to be called Mario Mario and Luigi Mario, otherwise it makes Mario a massive egotist and the last thing we need is more ammo for the Mario is a bad brother argument

While I think the original is better, I agree with you that New Island is not a bad game.

Have you played Woolly World? That one doesn't force you to collect everything in one go either.

omg I spent hours on that game. 200+ to be exact. one of my favorites. i have it 100% and have used all three save files for different custom yoshi costume slots. very proud of my Mr. L and shadow the hedgehog yoshis

the only game to come even close of that playtime is tomodachi life or maybe dream team.

They NEED to be called Mario Mario and Luigi Mario, otherwise it makes Mario a massive egotist and the last thing we need is more ammo for the Mario is a bad brother argument
Mario already is his last name, his first name is Super

Uh, this is still an ongoing problem right now.

Here is their house.
Paper_Mario_House.png

And inside the house, they're arguing over changing the nameplate
Oh_Brother_6.jpg

Last edited:
Back