Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

MightyMario

Woodstock
Yeah the DS version has a playable Wario, the other 3D Marios can't top that.
*imagine that spongebob meme where spongebob points at all of the diapers*

(points at the rest of the 3D Marios and holds up Super Mario Odyssey)

Mcmadness

The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
Removing exp in the later PM games is perfectly fine as leveling was pretty superfluous overall even in the first ones.

I mean shit I've played the first and most of the 2nd game by avoiding most of the non-mandatory battles and the game has still not been even remotely challenging.

No doubt due to how most of your upgrades are largely irrelevant to what level you are, and before anyone says anything no I wasn't danger marioing it.

BlueShelledKoopaTroopa

The Procrastinator
Not counting 3D World/3D Land, Super Mario 64/64 DS is probably is the best/least painful 3D Mario game to collect all the stars/shine sprites. (I haven't played Odyssey yet).

In 64 DS, I think I only really used Wario himself when absolutely necessary, otherwise I just grab his cap in the levels using any other character.

Toadgamer

i cant believe they named some frog after toad
If youre talking about just beating the game, its really easy to collect enough moons in smo to go to the next kingdom, heck you can get enough moons to not even fight the bosses sometimes.

But with 100% completion, you have some moons that are really hard or tedious to get (*cough cough beach volleyball)

BlueShelledKoopaTroopa

The Procrastinator
Super Mario Maker, at least the first one, never really held my attention for too long. Before the game came out, I was excited for it when seeing the previews at E3 2015 and the championship thing.

After getting the game, I played it for probably a month or two, and haven't touched it since. I think it may have to do with the same type of levels that were being uploaded got old fast. There also wasn't much updates for new objects. The second game did improve on having more objects to create levels with.

Waluigi Time

Happiness is a warm puppy.
Wiki Patroller
Super Mario Maker, at least the first one, never really held my attention for too long. Before the game came out, I was excited for it when seeing the previews at E3 2015 and the championship thing.

After getting the game, I played it for probably a month or two, and haven't touched it since. I think it may have to do with the same type of levels that were being uploaded got old fast. There also wasn't much updates for new objects. The second game did improve on having more objects to create levels with.
I didn't really do much with it either, to be honest. Maker 2 looks more interesting, and I'd like to get it eventually, but I haven't bothered yet.

Andrew

Hi! Watcha want?
Dry Bowser is not a clone of Bowser.

Luigi is the better Mario brother.

I think their full names (according to the Hollywood movie) are ridiculous (Mario Mario and Luigi Mario).

Wario didn’t deserve to be an Anti-Hero.

The Mushroom King is the best character ever.

Donkey Kong didn’t deserve to be such a failed series that he blended in with the Mario universe.

Donkey Kong only kidnapped Pauline because he’s alone.

Penguin Mario is a clone of the blue penguin from Club Penguin.

Bee Mario looks ridiculous.

and finally, Waluigi doesn’t deserve to be in Super Smash Bros as a playable character.
The last one is right

Luan Loud

[laughs] "Get it?"
I use Wario in Super Mario 64 DS only for missions where he's needed. He has the worst stats out of all of the characters (slowest runner, worst jumper, and slowest swimmer), and that's why he's my least favorite character to play as. Luigi and Yoshi are my favorites because of their jumping abilities (Luigi's back flip is god-like), and I especially prefer using Luigi for water levels since he swims the fastest.

Redshift

Eats Lunch at 4:00 pm
Wiki Patroller
The funniest level in the game is The Secret Under the Moat, though, because it's funny causing Wario to get falling damage, making say "WOOOAHH!" and he gets recovered by the level's red coins so you can do it repeatedly on the way down. Not to mention he can become metal and get zapped by the Amps indefinitely, also making him say "WOOOAHH!".

Redshift

Wiki Patroller
You can play as him in most levels, barring some mini-levels such as the level he gets rescued in or the final Bowser level.

Penguin Mario

🐧Penguins. Lots of them.🐧🐧🐧🐧
Wario can pick up signs and throw them as well as kill Tox Boxes so he's at least better than Yoshi (and to be fair, Yoshi can spit out Goombas and then run into them).

Redshift

Wiki Patroller
Yoshi can't even access an entire level though. And besides, only like, two stars in the entire game require him (Yoshi's Ice Sculpture and Frosty Slide for 8 Red Coins), the rest you can do by just Luigi alone.

Penguin Mario

🐧Penguins. Lots of them.🐧🐧🐧🐧
Technically Yoshi is the best character though since he can easily turn into any other character with the caps.
I do think Yoshi's saddle should've been available, but on the other hand, the moment Yoshi gets hit, which can and will happen, he'll lose his hat and sometimes, the recovering animation is so slow, the cap disappears before you can get it back. And that means wasting time having to hunt for a respawned hat/Goomba with a hat in the level.

Marie Antoinette

La Reine de France
I often see people using Super Mario 64 as an example of an older game that 'basically hasn't aged at all' and I honestly cannot agree with that.

Now, just to get this out of the way, I still think Mario 64 is a great game to play today and it has aged significantly less than many other early 3D games, but it's not a flawless experience in 2021.

From a control POV, I think the game is still fantastic, Nintendo really nailed controlling Mario in a 3D space, but what kills the game for me and why I can't consider it to 'not have aged' is the camera. The camera in Mario 64 suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks and I get why that is, it was the earliest 3D game to have a camera that was fully controllable separately from your character, so it was gonna be rough (and I know that the camera was basically the main criticism of the game even back in the 90s) and that's perfectly fine, but it just makes playing the game somewhat difficult today with how erratic it can be.

I will add that my feelings about Mario 64's controls vs the camera is the opposite when it comes to the DS version, I think the DS version has a much better camera system but the controls are a lot weaker and inferior to the N64 original due to the lack of an analog stick. (Yes I know you can use the touchscreen, it's still not the same to me IMO)

ZelenPixel

(she/her) actual spore creature
i played it for the first time at the end of the december and tbh even the controls felt a little clunky throughout! mostly the turning like mario stop taking this big ol arc every time i just wanna face the other direction
and oh yeah the sheer slipperiness everywhere as well

Waluigi Time

Happiness is a warm puppy.
Wiki Patroller
THANK YOU

Honestly if you want to see how garbage the camera in Mario 64 is just play Tick Tock Clock, it's a nightmare. It doesn't help at all that Mario's movement is influenced by the camera angle so you can end up running straight off a platform because the camera decided to move. Also agreed with everything Zelen said.

It's still a fun game and definitely worth playing at least once but it's aged quite a bit.