Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Mcmadness said:
And it will keep happening, forever.
Not if Fortune Street gets another sequel. :P

For some reason, Fortune Street, Itadaki Street, and Mario Sports Mix all have Mario coherently talking and they're all made by Squenix.

But I swear, if they make Mario silent again in a hypothetical third Itadaki Street, I'll be steamed.

-SMG2 is the best Mario game ever.
-SMO is not the best Mario game ever.
-Dream Team is the best Mario RPG ever.
-Lost Levels is a fun game.
-Lubba is a good character. Sure, Rosalina is better, but she eventually navigates Starship Mario alongside Lubba, and it’s wrong to say that Lubba replaced Rosalina. They could have made Rosalina have more importance to the game, but that doesn’t mean they should remove Lubba.
-Daisy is the worst clone character Nintendo has ever made. I mean, Toadette has proven her independence from Toad, Luigi has proven his independence from Mario (admit it, he started out as a clone character), and Bowser Jr. has proven his independence from the Koopalings. But despite Nintendo’s efforts, Daisy remains to be what she was in Smash 4: a palette swap of Peach. Saying “she’s a tomboy” and making her hate Waluigi really doesn’t help. Daisy is just downright pointless.
-I like Waluigi and think he is very underrated.
-I like the Shy Bandit.
-The Nintendo 64 has the best graphics of any Nintendo console.
-I only play Smash for the demos. The game itself is just a bunch of punching and kicking. It is fun at some points, but is honestly very overrated.
-Mario Tennis Open is a good game.
-I like Yoshi’s voice and don’t find it annoying.
-Bowser is just what every bad guy should be.

Easter Yoshi said:
-Daisy is the worst clone character Nintendo has ever made. I mean, Toadette has proven her independence from Toad, Luigi has proven his independence from Mario (admit it, he started out as a clone character), and Bowser Jr. has proven his independence from the Koopalings. But despite Nintendo’s efforts, Daisy remains to be what she was in Smash 4: a palette swap of Peach. Saying “she’s a tomboy” and making her hate Waluigi really doesn’t help. Daisy is just downright pointless.
In a less harsh way, I kinda agree. Daisy desperately needs fleshing out. Even Waluigi has more going for him between his over-the-top personality and having the honor (?) of setting up the conflict of a game (a dancing game, mind you, but still). By contrast, Daisy's most notable role is being a Peach stand-in.
Daisy has potential and making her a tomboy could makes her stand out compared to Peach. They just need to actually do something with it.
And what's with the occasional vague reference to her father/parents?

Princess Mario said:
For some reason, Fortune Street, Itadaki Street, and Mario Sports Mix all have Mario coherently talking and they're all made by Squenix.
Daily reminder that in the Japanese version of Super Mario Sunshine, a game made directly by Nintendo, Mario talked with Toadsworth using actual sentences...

Easter Yoshi said:
you'll have to justify that one

Princess Mario said:
Easter Yoshi said:
you'll have to justify that one
It may not be the most advanced graphics, but I like how it animated them. I like seeing blocky Mario and Luigi, and I REALLY like blocky Bowser. Later consoles did improve the graphics, but I miss the blocky N64 graphics.

I’m right there with you on SMO is not the best Mario game.

I love it. A lot. But it doesn’t beat Mario Galaxy to me.

I think it's not uncommon for me to see people who prefer Galaxy over Odyssey.

I myself prefer Odyssey.

But neither Galaxy nor Odyssey are my favorite Mario games.

Princess Mario said:
I think it's for "immersion" reasons, but I find it less of immersion and more of "it's tradition", especially when Mario is STILL silent when he's a nonplayable character! If it's disruptive to the immersion of the game, why even make Bowser talk when he's usable in Bowser's Inside Story? It's not jarring if the character you control talks and actually engages with the dialogue as with anyone else. It's a problem in Paper Mario, but at least Paper Mario can show some hand movement to "talk", but again, he often sits there like a wall between his partner and another character. I argue it's even less immersive when you have moments like in Superstar Baseball where the character you use engages with Mario and it's an awkward conversation that makes the character seem like it's talking to itself (and when you lose to Mario, Mario goes all "yahoo for me", which again, makes the silence worse. It's also difficult to watch players interact with Mario in Mario Golf: World Tour in Castle Club, where you're not even using Mario.

And I've seen people complain when their favorite character doesn't get to talk, like Rosalina's silence in Mario Party games or Bowser's silence in Paper Mario: Sticker Star and maybe those people can now walk in my shoes and see how that feels.

I keep ranting about it, but man, I don't think I'll stop ranting until everyone gets it. :P Mario is NOT a good example of a silent protagonist.
I agree with you. The whole "someone else has to speak for Mario" trope is really getting old, especially because they always seem to use the most annoying, constantly cheery characters to do it, if you know what I mean. What probably convinced me the most were those videos where Mario talks like the 2004 Real Time Mario with movie impressions and the Mario Sports Mix news interview. But even without voice acting, I'm sure the games will have more opportunity for humor if Mario talks. I do kinda understand the appeal of a silent Mario and I actually like it in Super Mario RPG, but the appeal can be fulfilled with other Nintendo characters and I think it's time to try something new with it.

I think the most ridiculous case was the Mario & Sonic DS/3DS games, but not because of Mario: Until Rio 2016, Sonic was also a silent protagonist.
Then there's the fact that the games can't decide whether or not Luigi can speak normally or no.
That said, I woouldn't mind both staying silent in Mario & Luigi, since I love the fake Italian talk and the pantomiming. In that case, I rather they just take the Superstar Saga route.

Plague Knight said:
I agree with you. The whole "someone else has to speak for Mario" trope is really getting old, especially because they always seem to use the most annoying, constantly cheery characters to do it, if you know what I mean. What probably convinced me the most were those videos where Mario talks like the 2004 Real Time Mario with movie impressions and the Mario Sports Mix news interview. But even without voice acting, I'm sure the games will have more opportunity for humor if Mario talks. I do kinda understand the appeal of a silent Mario and I actually like it in Super Mario RPG, but the appeal can be fulfilled with other Nintendo characters and I think it's time to try something new with it.
Mario is also annoying and constantly cheery too. Those characters are pointless.

I need to keep note that dialogue and voice acting are two different things. People do seem to have a problem with the Sports Mix Press Conference talking, but I don't. They can always tone it down, though. If they make Mario talk, though, it can be *just* like in Fortune Street. There's no need to impose an accent in the dialogue, as Luigi's Mansion and Fortune Street didn't do this, and it works fine.

Super Mario RPG's Mario has Mario transforming into other characters, so I think that sort of makes up for it.

ThatGuy62 said:
I think the most ridiculous case was the Mario & Sonic DS/3DS games, but not because of Mario: Until Rio 2016, Sonic was also a silent protagonist.
Then there's the fact that the games can't decide whether or not Luigi can speak normally or no.
That said, I woouldn't mind both staying silent in Mario & Luigi, since I love the fake Italian talk and the pantomiming. In that case, I rather they just take the Superstar Saga route.
yup, that London 3DS game has freaking SONIC silent and so even now those Sonic fans relate how it feels like to have an awkward brain-damaged (like Chell from Portal) character who do stupid things for communicating.

I like the fake Italian talk, BUT why not give them dialogue and impose the fake Italian talk on top of it? I mean, other characters make grunting noises while the dialogue bubble shows up. I find it strange these two have to do fake Italian talk while literally everyone else talks normally through short grunts and all.

Easter Yoshi said:
Princess Mario said:
But neither Galaxy nor Odyssey are my favorite Mario games.
So what Mario game is?
Depends on my mood, but I keep coming back to Mario Kart Wii and Mario Party, and I love the Mario Sports. I haven't played Mario games recently though, unless you count the modded stuff as Mario games. :P

I just wanted to say this before I go to bed. It's not in reply to what someone here said.

Everyone has an opinion and they're entitled to it. That opinion should be respected, no matter how much you disagree with it. If you disagree, that's fine. However, don't belittle or attack anyone because they see something differently. I shouldn't be mocked because I like Baby Daisy. I shouldn't be insulted because I think Maple Treeway isn't a good Mario Kart track. I shouldn't be threatened because I dislike Super Mario 64. Even if I'm in the minority (and trust me, I know I am when it comes to those three things), I'll respect your opinion as long as you respect mine. You can tell me why you disagree. Just don't go on attack mode. Who knows, you might sway me the other way on some things (except for Baby Daisy; I'll always appreciate her).

As far as I know, I haven't seen anyone who has attacked anyone for having those opinions. It happens on GameFAQs, but not so much here.

So after doing some thinking, here's my list.

- I think DKC is a better game than SMW.
- I'd be totally fine if there were no new main series Mario characters in Smash 5.
- Golf is best spinoff.
- I want Camelot to make another Mario sport RPG. Generic humans and all.
- I'd be down for Mario having more crossover titles. Also I'm cool with having a small handful of guest characters in spinoffs.
- Mario Party has never been my thing. It's boring to play alone and my friends have never been into it.
- I never played BIS, so I'm cool with the remake. Also :poshjr:

Princess Mario said:
As far as I know, I haven't seen anyone who has attacked anyone for having those opinions. It happens on GameFAQs, but not so much here.

GameFAQs is one of the worst offenders of this. Twitter and YouTube comments can get pretty bad too.

Did they really have to make Mario shout "SUPAH MARIOOOO ODYSSAAAAAAAAAY" whenever you open the game? It's irritating that I have to turn the volume down each time.

Yes because Mario screams both Galaxies and also Sunshine. It's out of tradition.

Besides, it's the most screaming Mario will do from this game, so chill.

Super Radio said:
Did they really have to make Mario shout "SUPAH MARIOOOO ODYSSAAAAAAAAAY" whenever you open the game? It's irritating that I have to turn the volume down each time.

This seems to be the norm for Mario games, for Mario shouts out game titles every now and then, like in Mario Kart 8, Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour and even Super Mario Galaxy. If you did play some of the older games, were you irritated by Mario shouting the game's title?

Thank you for reading.

If you did play some of the older games, were you irritated by Mario shouting the game's title?

Yes. I forgot about those. Mario Kart 8's "LUIGI TIIIIIME... EEEEEIGHT" is especially cringeworthy. And don't get me started on Galaxy. At least Galaxy 2 and 3D Land toned down the shouting, and 3D World's was bearable.

The unpopular opinion here is that I don't like this specific habit in Mario games.

Mario Party 8 is hilarious at least

Odyssey toned down freaking everything else about Mario's voice in Odyssey (the yelling-while-getting-sucked-through-a-portal and the yelling-while-getting-knocked-from-Bowser-in-the-opening-cutscene are plain awful). I think it's fair we get screaming in the title screen.

Koopaul said:
All Mario characters are kind of cute. Even Wario.

Except these spoopy fellas!

Culex_Sprite_-_Super_Mario_RPG.png
VBWL_-_Demon_Head_Sprite.png
BonyKackle.PNG

But these are from another generation of games, so yeah, they made their characters much more friendly-looking in recent years.

Back