Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Koopaul said:
All Mario characters are kind of cute. Even Wario.
that's why they're so marketable as plushies

and you can't argue against cute plushies, as even the ugly schmucks are irresistible in plush form

450px-Wario_-_SMAS_Plush.jpg

Maw-rays don’t really count as characters... or any other enemy species for that matter.

Wow I actually called it Maw-ray instead of Unagi.

More like the low resolution of the image with jpg artifacts.

Yeah that too. Though, I just attempted to embed the normal size of that image and it converted itself to an inflated small version so I think it's just the website it's hosted on -_-

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/horror-mario/images/3/35/Unagi_sssd.jpg

I prefer it when Paper Mario is aware that they are made of paper.

Like, as in jokes or just the environment?

both though less the jokes and more just being aware of it.

I feel like it's more in line with the goofy nature of Mario

like they could do a thing where something important is underwater and mario decides to dive down and grab it but he starts getting all wet and mushy and has to go back up and then someone says "ye, that wasnt one of your brightest ideas, mario."

ick, to me that sounds pretty bad, no offense. I just want a normal world with flat characters as a stylistic choice. Stuff like TTYD's curses is as far as they should go. I liked seeing him get bitten by a fish when he fell in the water anyway.

I say why even bother if you aren't going to do anything with it?

Go nuts, make it as ridiculous as possible. And in case anybody says "But I can't take that seriously" my response to that is duh, it's Mario, it shouldn't be trying to take itself seriously in the first place.

If there are variety of jokes rather than "the joke is that they're made of paper", I don't mind self-awareness every now and then.

I think people might exaggerate how the jokes go in Sticker Star and Color Splash.

of course, I'm not saying thats all it should do for humour.

And Colour Splash is definitely full of jokes that are unrelated to "we are made of paper"

the Paper look can be charming if done right (as Color Splash did), but I think Sticker Star and Color Splash killed a lot of goodwill towards the idea.
FawfulTheGreat brings up another point as well: The first two games were pretty ambiguous in regards to how it connects to the rest of the series (and the first game did get the occasional reference) and Super, at least, takes place in another dimension. Sticker Star, Paper Jam and Color Splash are all pretty clearly an alternate setting.
Yes I'm thinking about this too deeply, but it confuses me why people still take Sticker Star onwards as "canon" when it's pretty clearly a reboot or close enough to one.

It's not like the "canon" ever mattered beyond small references for references sake.

Mcmadness said:
It's not like the "canon" ever mattered beyond small references for references sake.
It vaguely does in the RPGs, but not to the extent that it hampers the experience (I played TTYD and BIS without playing the original Paper Mario 64 and Superstar Saga, for example) terribly.
It can help at times though, like if someone wanted to do a story/character arc or something (like Sonic did with the Death Egg, Kirby did with Dark Matter and even M&L itself did with Fawful).

Nah even then it didn't matter. It's not like they set up story arcs and then follow up on them with another game.

May as well be a bunch of self contained episodes.

I find the characterization of Sticker Star as a reboot (from radical gameplay changes to barren story as well as a sequel that built on those changes) interesting though I think any sort of canon argument that comes along with it is irrelevant.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
ick, to me that sounds pretty bad, no offense. I just want a normal world with flat characters as a stylistic choice. Stuff like TTYD's curses is as far as they should go. I liked seeing him get bitten by a fish when he fell in the water anyway.
I disagree. If they're going to go through an art style, they should do something about it, not just very occasional gags like in the first game where you almost forget it's paper. The flatness would be pointless otherwise, and I do like how the aesthetics in the series get more papery.

Princess Mario said:
I find the characterization of Sticker Star as a reboot (from radical gameplay changes to barren story as well as a sequel that built on those changes) interesting though I think any sort of canon argument that comes along with it is irrelevant.
I mean, it makes sense to an extent. It would explain stuff like why the way the world works is totally different (characters are more self-aware and the nature of the world sometimes functions as an actual obstacle) and why Kammy is totally gone/Kamek is suddenly around.
I know that "canon" in Mario isn't really a thing but Paper Mario had some consistent elements that are gone as of Sticker Star.

Meh, not like any of it was all that important anyhow.

I agree about Sticker Star being a reboot. The evidence towards that is a big reason why I hate that game so much. The series didn't need a reboot, and no returning to TTYD's battle system wouldn't have been a reboot. The thing is though, it seems like Nintendo, as far as Paper Mario is concerned, only considers the rebooted series 'canon' or whatever their equivalent to that is. I like to see it the other way around, they turned the series into something that it was never meant to be and thus I consider the first 3 games canon and the later ones boring knockoffs of them. There are some parallels with PM64/Sticker Star and TTYD/Color Splash, with Bowser having some wish granting power and traveling to an area by boat and solving a mystery respectively. I shudder to think of the next one being a bastardized SPM.

The 2nd and third game already turned it into something it was never meant to be.

In fact by the third game the devs seemed to have forgotten what franchise they were working on.

Back