Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

How would you reconcile the first two? :???:

Toadgamer said:
I wanted the Wigglers to be in Odyssey. I mean, you got Tropical Wigglers and Mechanical Wiggler! But no normal Wigglers. Capturing them could have been cool! I mean capturing a Tropical Wiggler is kinda fun!
We missed out on a bit of recurring Mario enemies in Super Mario Odyssey. But that's normal; all 3D Mario games have only a select amount of classic Mario enemies.

Mcmadness said:
Paper Mario is not deserving of the ridiculous praise it's fanbase gives it.
I agree.

Shy Guy on Wheels said:
A few more unpopular opinions from me:
  • R.O.B. is one of my favourite Mario Kart characters.
  • I don’t like non-Mario characters in Mario Kart.
  • Both the Sand Kingdom and the Moon Kingdom are some of the worst kingdoms in SMO.
  • Mario Kart 8 is the worst Mario Kart game.
I'm with you on the second one and the Moon Kingdom being one of the worst kingdoms.

Shy Guy on Wheels said:
  • I don’t like non-Mario characters in Mario Kart.
  • Both the Sand Kingdom and the Moon Kingdom are some of the worst kingdoms in SMO.
  • Mario Kart 8 is the worst Mario Kart game.
The first two conflict with each other. And the Moon Kingdom is amazing.

LeftyGreenMario said:
I didn't know Wild Wiggler was serviceable, but anyhow, I'm a fan of that vehicle. So cute.
Now this reminded me an unpopular opinion:

even though Morton is likely meant to be big, bad and ugly, he's so fat and clumsy that I actually find him cute:
Ve0oZGm.jpg

8YLmKKf.jpg

JyGWy3x.jpg

UCJjR3z.png

Hn2RPRU.png

2wI4Uht.png

Morton is a goober.

I like goobers.

Our headcanon for him is that he's a nice but obedient idiot.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Our headcanon for him is that he's a nice but obedient idiot.
That's kinda how he came off to me in Paper Jam (along with the occasional moment of what situations he's in).
I don't like his portrayal in the other RPGs, but I'm not sure if that's an unpopular opinion.

To be honest, Morton doesn't even look cute. But I guess my description of cute is often dependent on appearances.

Lemmy is the cutest. He even helps Mario's friends out in White Knuckle Scorin'.

Lemmy is the cutest probably because of the "he’s smaller so cuter" logic.

I don’t blame you however he is pretty cute I gotta admit.

Doesn't help that Lemmy acts baby-like and has most child-like of proportions. Larry isn't big either, but I wouldn't call him cute. He's just stupid-looking. He's probably the second-cutest of the Koopalings, but that's not saying much because the rest of them don't scream "cute" to me.

Toadgamer said:
Ludwig looks cuter.

I agree with this.

:)

As for my unpopular opinon (well, I think it is), Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is better than Bowser's Inside Story.

Partners in Time>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bowser's Inside Story

Baby Luigi said:
Partners in Time>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bowser's Inside Story

Unfortunately, this is the only Mario & Luigi I have not played, and I am one of those who are disappointed that they have not made a remake of Partners in Time instead of Bowser's Inside Story.

Shy Guy on Wheels said:
  • I don't like non-Mario characters in Mario Kart.

How do you reconcile this...?

Easter Yoshi said:
Plague Knight said:
- Mario Party 8 is not so bad.
I know that this is the third most critisized Mario Party (after Advance and Top 100), but in my opinion, Mario Party 8 is by far the best Mario Party ever.

In saying that, another unpopular opinion: Mario Party 9 is by far the worst Mario Party ever.

Those are in complete and utter conflict with every critic out there. But one more thing: MP10 is better than MP9, even though both are inferior to MP8.

And people seem to hate Island Tour. I don’t know why; Island Tour was glorious and is my second favorite Mario Party.

And another unrelated opinion that will shock everyone: The 3DS is the best console ever made, and the Switch stinks. I have many reasons for saying that, you know...
For me, MP8 is a lot better than 9, which is better than 10. MP10 is actually kind of terrible. I've only played those three enough to judge, but at the very least some of the Gamecube ones might be better than MP8 from what I've heard.

What made Mario Party 10 more terrible than 9? I haven't played either, but I thought they're sameish, like 5, 6, and 7 were. Party 10 DID have playable Bowser.

Princess Mario said:
What made Mario Party 10 more terrible than 9? I haven't played either, but I thought they're sameish, like 5, 6, and 7 were. Party 10 DID have playable Bowser.

I think 10 seems to be generally like MP9 but even less content. And whatever is that's new from MP9 isn't exactly sung in high praises. Bowser mode seems quite tilted over to the player who is Bowser. Amiibo Party is a slap-to-the-face to those who want the traditional Mario Party gameplay back. Boards are too simple in that mode, it's locked behind Amiibo requiring players to have Amiibos in order to play. Not a big deal if you're a big Mario fan and you like Amiibos but nonetheless the very principle of it requiring four different character Mario character amiibos in order to work is enough to criticize.

Mario Parties 5, 6, and 7 had some degree of sameness as well. But they all had their own feel and changed up pretty key board gameplay elements.

Even those who liked Mario Party 9 and don't mind the car gimmick probably felt some of the same disappointment Ultra Smash did with a real lack of things to do. But even Ultra Smash at least had decent Tennis gameplay (Which basically has made Ultra Smash a game that was basically a beta test for Tennis Aces released as a full-priced game)

MP10 was better than MP9 in every conceivable way. It took Mario Party 9, removed story mode (which never mattered), and added more party modes. How is it possible that MP10 is worse than MP9?

And while I’m here, another unpopular opinion. Wii U rules; Nintendo Switch is terrible. See this thread for my reasons for saying that.

Easter Yoshi said:
MP10 was better than MP9 in every conceivable way. It took Mario Party 9, removed story mode (which never mattered), and added more party modes. How is it possible that MP10 is worse than MP9?

And while I’m here, another unpopular opinion. Wii U rules; Nintendo Switch is terrible. See this thread for my reasons for saying that.
Did it? Because I don't really see many modes. Story mode was simply swapped out for Bowser Party which (despite being the focal point of the game) is pretty limited (3 board, 10 minigames, only one board that has a different gimmick towards the end) and unbalanced (I've seen games where Bowser curbstomps Team Mario and games where Team Mario leaves Bowser in the dust), it doesn't give any context to why Bowser is locked up on gamepad or why you're doing what you're doing (which is a minor point, but still), the two minigame modes are pretty throwaway and Northern already summed up why Amiibo Party is a letdown. And all of that is on top of being an extension of the already controversial Mario Party 9.

Removing story mode is a bad thing, Bowser Party is insanely limited in boards (which are copies of the ones from Mario Party) and minigames, Bowser always wins unless the person playing as him is not very good, amiibo Party is boring and locked behind amiibo, and Mario Party has only five boards compared to MP9's seven. Even the menu presentation is boring, and the complete lack of context for what you're doing compared to MP9's constellation thing combined with everything else makes it feel like they just churned out yet another game so they could make more money rather than actually making a fun and entertaining game. It just oozes mediocrity at pretty much every point unlike MP9 which at least feels like it's trying to be a good game. Virtually every new mode is disappointing and the old ones are just stolen straight from MP9. I think I'm fairly justified in saying that it's worse than MP9, and it's up there with NSMB2 as one of the Mario games I dislike the most.

Easter Yoshi said:
MP10 isn’t good, but saying that it’s worse than MP9 is just wrong, as it has the “best” stuff from MP9’s party mode and adds to it.
It has Mario Party 9's party mode wholesale with only minor differences (a Toad house to give every player one item, Bowser Jr. spaces becoming Bowser-lite spaces, the gimmick where Bowser's trapped in the gamepad and he steals half the ministars of whoever's unlucky enough to free him). As previously mentioned, it has less boards and, according to the wiki itself, it has less minigames, it seemingly has less minigame modes and the ones that are there don't seem very interesting or distinct (unlike the Mario Party 9 ones, even counting the one brought in from Mario Party DS).

Back