Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Mcmadness said:

My actual unpopular opinion would be that Ashley did Nothing Wrong (including sending those kids to hell; who hasn't wanted to do that at least once?).

Furthermore Ashley and her CG pals should be the only elements from the entire Wario franchise to be included in future Mario spinoff titles and Nintendo crossover titles, with her character description in those always outlining her superior character design and objectively greater popularity. Furthermore, Ashley needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine. Third, when Ashley is not on the screen, all the other characters should ask "Where's Ashley?"...

J — Pony Disguise said:
SM64DS is better than the original in every way.
This. Never understood people's beef with the controls. They were only a struggle for me through the first mission, and I was half-asleep then.

Does the original let you constantly force Wario to take fall damage, only for him to get healed by red coins? No.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Does the original let you constantly force Wario to take fall damage, only for him to get healed by red coins? No.

No, but it doesn't force you to start with yoshi either. :P

WHAT DID YOU SAY???

15567.png

is it just me or is everything slowly descending into LOOK AT IT!!?

Wait you mean to tell me this ISN'T Look at it?

Damn

Renegade Roundup is worse than Mario Kart 8's Battle Mode. Not gonna lie, it feels that bad and it's even worse than the survival stuff because if you get caught, you have to sit there. It's probably better if you have all humans but otherwise, it's boring and relies way too much with other teammates. Bots being awful in Coin Runners and Balloon Battle, I can put up with. Bots being awful in Roundup costs matches.

I just never like to team up with CPUs.

Can't trust them.

You won't ever see me play team races in Mario Kart. Ever.

I think I trust random humans even less. Bots don't go out of their way to grief while Mario Kart has absolutely no checks on griefing. Bots may be stupid, but they don't have the potential to single handedly ruining the experience.

Yeah, I've played through it, 5 minute matches of Renegade Roundup (hoo boy when you're a renegade), and I can't say I like it terribly much. I'm not a bad player by any means with plenty of hours put into Mario Kart 8 but I ended up losing two matches in a row with easy CPUs, both as law and a renegade. The time I lost as a renegade, the CPU teammates were too stupid, and I barely got by one match where a CPU friend was lucky enough to be smart there to free the 5 rest of us. The time I lost as a cop, only one guy was at large. I feel like it's the type of mode that plays the best if you have friends because it absolutely requires teamwork in order for it to function and you know...bots being bots means you can't do any teamwork.

You know what would be great? Once your character is caught, you should take control of a CPU-controlled teammate on your side. So players don't have to sit there in a cage and pray for the bots not to be stupid. Of course it shouldn't apply to human player only matches. It also highlights how much I want to pick characters on both teams. Many games have no problems with multiple bot management, Mario Kart should have no issues with that (and for someone who simply wants to jump into the game, the game should automatically pick opponents first and then lets you change them...like how Mario Party 10 and Star Rush do it).

Daisy should be called Yellow Peach instead of Orange Peach, because her outfits consistently have more yellow than orange, with the exception of the Strikers games.

the levels in NSMBU have names that range from bland to terrible. "Yoshi Hill", "Stone-Eye Zone", "Perilous Pokey Cave"... yawn... i always thought that the localization team tried way too hard to give these levels catchy and interesting names, taking the Donkey Kong Country games as example. at some point they just gave up and threw in a level called "Lakitu! Lakitu! Lakitu!"

SM3DW is better in that regard. still, DKC's level naming is better

I like toads.

Bye Guy said:
the levels in NSMBU have names that range from bland to terrible. "Yoshi Hill", "Stone-Eye Zone", "Perilous Pokey Cave"... yawn... i always thought that the localization team tried way too hard to give these levels catchy and interesting names, taking the Donkey Kong Country games as example. at some point they just gave up and threw in a level called "Lakitu! Lakitu! Lakitu!"

SM3DW is better in that regard. still, DKC's level naming is better
Still beats out 4-5 or something.

Mcmadness said:
I like toads.
I like them for the most part. What I don't like is how they speak over Mario ans Luigi or when they purposefully misgender Birdo but other than that, they sound hilarious and not annoying. It's a real shame we still don't have a playable Toad in Smash Bros..

For its time the animation was actually well-done imo, you have to remember that this wasn't a movie for the big screen, it was a TV show that had to make a lot of episodes and it's pretty impressive they could pull off 3D for that kind of thing at all at the time. But yeah it probably would've aged much better if it was traditionally animated.

for a track as often arranged as the slide theme from super mario 64, it has never been properly redone, no matter how good the arrangements were on their own. none of them wholly capture the fast-paced fiddle and banjo feel of the original and it frankly disappoints me.

the super smash bros version is in a different league, i think the differences are obvious. (a great arrangement nevertheless.)

the super mario galaxy 2 version is nice, but the indian instrumentation is a departure from the original.

the paper mario: sticker star version is terrible. and that's not considering my negative bias towards the game, as i think its soundtrack is actually one of its better aspects. but this rendition is yuck

the super mario 3d world and captain toad versions sound the most country and are therefore the closest to the original in that regard. i'd say the latter is actually the best rendition of the slide theme so far. still, you couldn't really replace the original with it, as it's clearly less energetic.

again, i'm not saying none of these are good. it's just that they're not true to the original.

thoughts on this?

don't think it captures it that well either despite sounding great on its own

well I think cover versions from a different genre can still capture the feel, so you have to go deeper than that IMO

i dare say it's almost the same case with the super mario bros theme.

[youtube]
https://youtu.be/NTa6Xbzfq1U
[/youtube]

it's so representative of mario for a reason. it has a distinct chill, hip-hop ring to it that alludes to an american urban setting, such as brooklyn, during the '80s. none of the iterations across 200+ games in the whole franchise capture this feeling.

the only official thing that i know of to have ever sounded close to the original is this band arrangement from jimmy fallon's show.

[youtube]
https://youtu.be/V17tXBePgfo
[/youtube]

Princess Mario said:
well I think cover versions from a different genre can still capture the feel, so you have to go deeper than that IMO

it doesn't have the texas-car-chase-yeehaw feel, that's for sure. that's what i think it's missing from a lot of these renditions.

Back