What game did you last play?!?!?!?

it's the Seinfeld problem

Seinfeld was revolutionary when it came out; its structure became the foundation for a new breed of sitcom. ...But foundations are built upon, and new things become old things, and now that everything Seinfeld did has been tweaked upon and innovated and made more contemporary Seinfeld feels kind of generic on a rewatch. Everything it did was later done better, as it became the definition of basic

I tried to get a friend to watch the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and it was a similar experience. When I watched it the first time, when it came out, it blew my mind--but anime (and visual novels and the like) have built upon what that show did so much that on a re-watch it's like... vanilla

RPGs and shooters have this problem in spades; 2D platformers are less susceptible, I think, because developers kind of stopped making new 2D platformers (and thus no one was building on the genre) until relatively recently, and even that's mostly indie devs

Snake Pass
First play. It's very innovative! I've never played a game like this before- it gives very believable snake physics. The art is pretty and cute too. The emotes are fun but redundant like it's really only 4 emotes each with multiple intensities, that just tells me the designers couldn't decide on the intensity themselves, but eh it's fun.

Arms
First play. Everything about this game is stunning except that I can't turn off motion control. I know, it was made for the gimmick of motion control.. but I still it should have the option to opt out, considering how full content the game is. The closest I can get is using the combined controller mode but I believe that still requires you to move your hands for the fighter to walk (correct me if I'm wrong)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Coming back from hiatus on this. Previously I had only rented it, now I have bought a digital copy... which of course means I have to start from the beginning, but I didn't get too far in the rental anyways so it's no biggie.

The Legend of Zelda
First play, first game of the franchise. It's fun, I'm playing it on my 2DS, I'm assuming they retained NES's bad translations.
143147024_732250294161885_5638915643163808381_n.jpg

Punch-Out!!
First play. First of the series I think. So far I fought Glass Joe, this game's really good for the NES (I'm playing it on the 2ds), I thought it was pretty funny that on Round 2 Little Mac is being pep talked while Glass Joe is accidentally giving away his weakness.

Snake Pass
First play. It's very innovative! I've never played a game like this before- it gives very believable snake physics. The art is pretty and cute too. The emotes are fun but redundant like it's really only 4 emotes each with multiple intensities, that just tells me the designers couldn't decide on the intensity themselves, but eh it's fun.

Arms
First play. Everything about this game is stunning except that I can't turn off motion control. I know, it was made for the gimmick of motion control.. but I still it should have the option to opt out, considering how full content the game is. The closest I can get is using the combined controller mode but I believe that still requires you to move your hands for the fighter to walk (correct me if I'm wrong)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Coming back from hiatus on this. Previously I had only rented it, now I have bought a digital copy... which of course means I have to start from the beginning, but I didn't get too far in the rental anyways so it's no biggie.

The Legend of Zelda
First play, first game of the franchise. It's fun, I'm playing it on my 2DS, I'm assuming they retained NES's bad translations.

Punch-Out!!
First play. First of the series I think. So far I fought Glass Joe, this game's really good for the NES (I'm playing it on the 2ds), I thought it was pretty funny that on Round 2 Little Mac is being pep talked while Glass Joe is accidentally giving away his weakness.
You can use a Pro Controller for ARMS, or both Joy-Cons if you don't want motion controls.

"i really gotta play mario sunshine today i swear" i say, as i proceed to ask for my online subscription back and then play all the snes dkcs back to back for like 2 hours
made some small progress on 100%ing dkc1 and dkc3. ive already 100% so i didnt really do much there but it was still pretty fun
also found out dixie's walking animation speed changed between dkc2 and dkc3 so like... in dkc2 when shes in the lead her walking animation is crazy fast and its SO funny. however if diddy is in the lead, the animation is slower, and same for dkc3 (no matter what kong is leading im pretty sure)

The Sims 4.

Had my Sim quit her job as a writer after reaching the max promotion entirely so she could start a job as an entertainer because I wanted her to start making money off the goddamn violin I've made her learn how to play beyond getting tips from busking.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Started the game for the first time and got up to and beat Mack.

Personally I'm finding it pretty average so far. It has the resemblance to Paper Mario 64 and is a clear predecessor to that game and the Mario RPGs as a whole. But within that formula pretty much all elements are the least positive of the Mario RPGs I've played. The graphics are definitely bad, coming from the SNES and unlike games such as Super Mario World, and Superstar Saga, the low quality doesn't really work very well or is like a "bad in a good way", it's just bad. The music is fine I guess but it could never hold a candle to the others I've played so far. The gameplay is quite like the others but it's very primitive compared to even Paper Mario 64 and Superstar Saga, and I'm not too much a fan of this battle system, it's much too hard and not very interesting. I was really not impressed when the game opened with Peach getting kidnapped yet again but once the original villains were introduced, that was good - at least the game has a few original characters including original villains. But again, the other Mario RPGs had far superior stories and a much wider selection of likeable characters in my opinion.

I'm still playing through and hoping the game gets better, but thus far it's my least favourite Mario RPG by a wide margin.

I agree. When I first touched the game I was expecting something similar to later RPGs, but at the end of the day the game had very dull aestethics and, while the story is not bad, is inferior to those of Mario & Luigi games. The fact the game never arrived in Europe till 2008 definitely did not help. It's not a bad game per se - it has some great music, like Nimbus Land - it's just outdated in every sense.

Well, at least it has that funny Princess Peach ???/XXX easter egg.

Mario & Luigi Dream Team.
On the search for Pi'illodactyl, for no hitter expert challenge points. And the last bean on the mountain, probably achievable via ball hop. Found the bean, power- gave to Luigi. Pi'illodactyl decided not to show today.

Last edited:
Scribblenauts Collection for the DS, I played it on my New Nintendo 3DS. In addition, it's the only DS game I have a physical copy of. I played the original Scribblenauts because Scribblenauts Collection is two games, Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts, and I played Scribblenauts, I played levels 1-1 to 1-3.

Last edited:
M&L Dream Team
Revisited Driftwood Shore: found the last Pi'illo of the area and the last dreamy attack piece for Luiginary Flame, battled Broque Madame - achieved S rank for Luiginary Ball and B rank for everything else. Attempted Mole Hunt prizes but fell short only a couple points from 300. Cleared Expert Challenge No Hitter Bloopurn.

M&L Dream Team
Entered Somnom woods, met the scariest foe so far- Beehoss. What does the hoss/oss mean in its name? idk. But what I do know, is it gives a new challenge of wanting to dodge instead of counter.. for bees will sting back.
Prince Peasley's competition for Luigi's love, Bedsmith- did what his name says he does best and made the whatever its called bed to meet Zeekeeper. And I saved and ended the game there for today, with M&L's new objective to get to Pi'illo Temple somewhere presumably deep in Somnom Woods.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Venturing further into Somnom Woods admiring its beautiful plants including one that erupts spores that can only be seen fully if Mario stands on Luigi; anyway, on the search for the Pi'illo Temple, the Brothers encounter Boomerang Bros and Commander Lakitu- still not as tricky of fighters as Beehoss, unless they defeat the Commander Lakitu who's job it is to tell Boomerang Bros which type of throw to do (without them you'll never know). They also venture into the Dreamy Somnom Woods encountering 2 brand new foes: Pelicrumps and Spritzblooms. Pelicrumps seem to have an association with the Zeekeeper, as they're both birds of similar shape & they occasionally use Zeekeeper Statues to attack. Spritzblooms are somewhat shaped like Piranha Plants with puckered lips and and making up for the lack of teeth by blowing smog. The brothers picked up a Flame Hammer DX from one of the Spritzblooms, also they cleared enough Expert Challenges for one of the Expert Gears to be stat relevant for once. There was also a Bandit with a Golden Egg, the brothers took the egg and smashed it revealing many coins. Finally, they make it to a spot that Dreambert recognizes, a petrified Pi'illo Master! Thus a new quest begins, free the masters for they hold the key to the temple.

Lego City Undercover
The beginning of chapter 2. Chase has to solve a road block issue, when he gets there he learns it's none other than his fellow police officers ACCIDENTALLY causing a road block at the bridge exiting the city, apparently they're all bad drivers. Chase tells them how to unblock themselves (no pun intended), only to have his ex gf zoom past them in a bright car, Chase chases after her and accidentally shoves her car off a cliff, but catches her. She rejects his advances to get back together and he accepts it and lets her leave the city.
Ok so that was cutscene stuff, before the cutscenes, I had him steal a car I really liked and cruise to his destination, but then out of the blue a trolley smashed into our beautiful car, completely obliterating it. Did, Not, Expect. Next time I'm stealing the trolley I tell ya.
Also I found a non-lego rabbit cleaning itself while hanging out with its almost equal sized black spiders.

Feb 9

M&L Dream Team
Deeper into Somnom, the Bros. rescue a Master Pi'illo and arrive at the Temple. Much brighter plants are at the temple.. and Dreamy Luigi learns to become a propellor fan to allow Mario to jump longer distances and climb walls, activated by Starlow spinning real Luigi's nose rapidly. Dreamy Luigi also revisits being one with the mustache trees. Within Dreamy Somnom, they find a Gift Glove DX in a block. When it comes to the gloves, I like to have one bro holding the gift glove and the other the coin bros glove. They now hold both DX versions! I wish there were a regular Coin Glove/DX, i don't have them use Bros Attacks too often.
The second Master they rescue tells them there are MANY Masters to rescue. And even the new found Warp Pipe tells me the Bros have only reached the center of the woods. Hoo boi, adventure awaits!

Tomodachi Life
relations
Squaks befriends Blaze the Cat. Pink Bomber befriends Cerebella, and tells me she always follows her heart for it never leads her astray. Aqua Bomber's dating Sonic, and befriends Captain Kirk. Ms Fortune's dating Beowulf.
troubles
I calm an angry Wiggler down by giving her a yellow long knit sweater. Waluigi dreams of saving the world from a saltine cracker invasion, with a root beer float powerup turning him into Waluigi 5000. Cosmic Clam had food poisoning, and says he feels deja vu.
prizes & shopping
I win lipstick from Peach. I buy a Sailor Dress from Rosalina working at the clothing store. I buy a dressing room from Blue Bomber working at the interior store.
randomness
Bowser claims he can smell bbq rib miles away. Toad wonders what happened to a newt. Luma rides the merry go round. Mini Toad's sleeping on a park bench. Grace Makepeace likes wearing camo.
Rod Serling and Rosalina spot a UFO that turned out to be a flying Black Forest Gateau.

Last edited:

I am flying through this game, I got 2 stars today and am sitting at a total of 3. I get the latter parts of the game will probably take longer but at this rate this could be over so quickly - and frankly I want it to because M&L:DT is next and I am so sure I will love that game. As for SMRPG, I pretty much feel the same about it as I did last week.

You also need to work from reference if you don't want your house looking like a giant brick too!

Super Paper Mario.

Beat the game last month, but came back to it because I wanted to beat the 100 trials.
Made a few screw-ups in the last 10 final rooms, made it to the boss.
Only had 9 health left. Died.
I shut the game off and went to bed so that's nice.
Fun game, but I was so exhausted. Gonna try again when I recover.

M&L Dream Team.
I rescued the mid-left path Pi'illo Master of the Pi'illo Temple puzzle. He told the brothers of Antasma's backstory.
He was once a regular bat, who ate a Pi'illo's nightmare on happenstance, but then consequently acquired a taste for the dark dreams.
My expert pants have finally surpassed the hero pants in regards of defense. Yayy! And I've beaten every gold beanie on every first try, it's simple if you can counter their attacks.

Universe Sandbox

As a space affacinado, I am in love with this game. I made a bright pink Saturn but there's so much more things I'd like to do with it. I also love how realistic the simulation and the physics are!

Yes, I had to look up the solution to the ship riddle but I'm being honest I found all of the clues and I racked my brain and couldn't do it. So I got my mom to help and she also couldn't think of it. So we gave up and googled it (it was obvious that the answer would be the same on every playthrough of the game, not even SPM which came over a decade later changes the passcodes on subsequent playthroughs to prevent people looking it up).

We both thought the answer, "pearls", was very sneaky as it's only six letters long and has an s in it due to being in plural form.

So I'm fighting whoever that blue guy was called again and about to get the fifth star. Making quick progress with the game albeit it's slowed a little as the game's gotten harder. I think my opinion on the story and characters is going uphill right now but I'm still not fond of the gameplay, graphics, or music. I'd say my current feeling is around 6/10

Last edited:
M&L Dream Team
Mid-right path of Somnom Woods Temple Puzzle didn't have any Master Pi'illo, but Nomons hiding in brick caves, once revealed they ask curious questions to the brothers, such as.. have you seen the sea? Have you heard a song? Do you know moles?
Oh and I managed to get No Hitter on Pi'illodactyl R! With my last taunt ball to boot.

Archero
With Atreus and my pets Epic Flaming Ghost, and Epic Noisy Owl, I completed Abandoned Dungeon. I have Atreus equipt with a Rare Gale Force. If I'm not misremembering the previous worlds, a unique mechanic of Abandoned Dungeon is enemies spawn surrounding you once you're center stage. The boss was a giant dragon and I gotta say, probably the easiest boss so far.. its lightning comes at you very slow. It said I did better than 77% of other players- that my friends is due to me never missing the dailies!
I unlocked Urasil the poison doctor, he's cool but I'll be sticking with Atreus for now.

Feb 14
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - Somnom Woods, Centre, Temple Puzzle North-West Path
The Bros. spin-jump over the electric sea with the help of propeller flowers, rescue the final Master Pi'illo and get cave beans!

Yokai Tamer
DROPPED. Sorry but what's the point of putting in detail to the story, world, and characters of your RPG.. if you're just going to have your players rush through it all and focus on the numbers?
i.e. it encourages you to auto bot through the whole game, AND, when you're in a chat with NPC's it forces the chat to end in 15 seconds. I never have a chance to fully read the chats because I want to watch the characters animations, and read their names, while also reading what they're saying so I know why my character is doing what they're doing. Wayyy too fast paced for my liking.

Super Smash Bros. 3DS
I'm starting with beating every mode on easy(lvl 3) with Pac-Man.
First beating every fighter at 1v1's on Mode:Smash-Time:2-Custom:Off-Stage:Normal.
I unlocked Ness after beating Link, and got up to Palutena, then I got too tired to keep playing.

Last edited:
LEGO Batman: The Videogame

Played the final level of The Joker's Last Laugh in both villain and hero mode which was brilliant, especially on Valentine's Day cause when I was younger I really shipped Harley and the Joker due to this game telling me that Harley joined the Joker after falling in love with him. I have faint memories of this level since I've beaten it before when I was younger but replaying it now is great.

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes

Technically I'm not new to this game as I have played it before but that was a very long time ago and I never made it past the first level I'm pretty sure.

I think that not taking my personal nostalgia into account it trumps its predecessor but I have so much nostalgia for LEGO Batman 1, I can't put this game above that unless this one really improves. I also feel that its quality is far behind LEGO Batman 3 due to much poorer graphics (I have LEGO Batman 1 and 2 on the Wii and LEGO Batman 3 on the Xbox 360) and so far the gameplay features are in between LEGO Batman 1 and 3. I think the story is better than LEGO Batman 1 and the voice acting is welcome but LEGO Batman 3 is still the best imo.

Overall I like the game but I think it's almost certainly going to end up as my least favourite of the trilogy due to LEGO Batman 3 being a significant improvement in most ways and LEGO Batman 1 having a lot of nostalgia.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Location: Central Somnom Woods, Temple Puzzle North-East Path
I decided to use a Gold Risk Effect for funsies in a Boomerang Bro battle, it KO'd everyone but Mario whom was protected by Guard Shell DX.
Do combo KO's result in more gifts? I was rewarded a Taunt Ball and Master Gloves from that fight. Master Gloves replenish all your used BP if you pull an excellent, I wish they were a Treasure instead of Gloves because I'm keeping my Gift DX and Coin Bros DX gloves on.
At the end of the North-East Path awaits Nomons who Starlow convinces them to play a game with the Bros to win their 2 Pi'illos (not Masters). It's a ball hop through the rings game with 3 challenges. I had difficulty figuring out the second challenge and was left with 2 HP left on the third challenge, and failed... Ah well.. will come back to it another day.

I WANT TO NOTE: Nomons heavily remind me of Goosebumps The Beast From The East. They're purple mole like creatures with big claws, live deep in a forest, and just want to play silly games. Although I think in Goosebumps your life is at risk or something.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
Like I'm doing with Pac-Man in Smash Bros, I'll be playing Ryu on Easiest of every mode, to get a feel for the game. Today I did Arcade with his Metsu Hadoken Ultra. I tried to learn what each of his attacks are, but they seem to mildly switch up upon if the opponent is near or far, making it a little more difficult to really grasp. So far I have it down for far away opponent.

Last edited:

Didn't do much but I'm currently stuck on the Belome Temple.

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes

Beat a couple more levels, I still haven't unlocked any characters besides Batman and Robin but when I do that'll be cool.

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

Bought (well it was free actually but I'd been putting it off due to needing to enter credentials) the Superheroines pack meaning I now own Starfire and Raven in this game, and that's pretty cool cause I now have all five Teen Titans in this game (Robin and Cyborg are necessarily unlocked through the main story and Beast Boy can be unlocked without DLC.)

Back