The Final Character

The protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei V.

Not because I want it to be, but thats what I expect it to be.

The protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei V.

Not because I want it to be, but thats what I expect it to be.

i'd be "great another jrpg rep"

i'd be "great another jrpg rep"

Calling em reps is inaccurate. Most smash characters are less reps and more "this was in a recent and/or popular game so here"

I'd say be careful expecting this last reveal to be something all that big. The last Smash reveal tends to not really be that big of a name or a more promotional character whether it's the end of base game or DLC. As much as I would like to be wrong, I think Kazuya was our last 3rd party character. And even among 1st party choices, I have this rather pessimistic hunch we're getting a Gen 8 Pokemon of some kind.
"Pessimistic" is a good adjective here as I don't like Pokémon Gen 8 at all so far

Calling em reps is inaccurate. Most smash characters are less reps and more "this was in a recent and/or popular game so here"
Mostly introducing good characters from popular games that are actually good is something I have no problem with. It's when they introduce boring characters from games. That then people only make memes about them because they're in Smash, instead of that they have any interesting traits or funny lines that are worth popularity like what a meme should be.

Probably worth getting this thread with some activity now that we have a literal countdown until we reach the final character. 10 Days to go!

I'm crossing my fingers for Waluigi. The idea that Assist Trophies are locked out of DLC for that game is just "assumed" since it hasn't happened yet. But the same thing was assumed for Spirits, then Min Min happened. If there'd ever be a perfect time to subvert that assumption for Assists, the final fighter would be it. The pass ending with the first major character to get denied at the beginning of the cycle. Waluigi would break the Internet. I'm genuinely convinced he would. He made it into mainstream, non-gaming news just from his fan outpouring when he was shown as an Assist.

Another thing I can see in Waluigi's favor is the fact that Nintendo chose the DLC. Nintendo hasn't used Waluigi in a mainline or RPG Mario game yet, but he's practically a given for the Mario spinoffs that use a roster system like Smash. He also consistently shows up in promo art of the Mario cast. That shows Nintendo at least cares about him. The last spinoff he was absent from was Mario Kart 7, and after the backlash to that I don't think that mistake will be made again. Call this a reach but I think it's something worth noting. But mainly the first paragraph is why I think Waluigi would be a fantastic candidate for the final fighter.

literally give me any fighter from a third party Western franchise.

FPS, platformer, MMORPG, i don't care what genre it comes from as long as it's west from the japanese archipelago.

i think i'll make exceptions for metal slug and earthbound, though.

I'm probably not gonna care too much about the reveal as I've been skipping for the past few reveals now in favor of beating the shit out of them months later, but just please not a Fire Emblem rep and also I'd rather we don't get Ubisoft or Action-Blizzzard published property.

Reactions: zel
I'm crossing my fingers for Waluigi. The idea that Assist Trophies are locked out of DLC for that game is just "assumed" since it hasn't happened yet. But the same thing was assumed for Spirits, then Min Min happened. If there'd ever be a perfect time to subvert that assumption for Assists, the final fighter would be it. The pass ending with the first major character to get denied at the beginning of the cycle. Waluigi would break the Internet. I'm genuinely convinced he would. He made it into mainstream, non-gaming news just from his fan outpouring when he was shown as an Assist.

Another thing I can see in Waluigi's favor is the fact that Nintendo chose the DLC. Nintendo hasn't used Waluigi in a mainline or RPG Mario game yet, but he's practically a given for the Mario spinoffs that use a roster system like Smash. He also consistently shows up in promo art of the Mario cast. That shows Nintendo at least cares about him. The last spinoff he was absent from was Mario Kart 7, and after the backlash to that I don't think that mistake will be made again. Call this a reach but I think it's something worth noting. But mainly the first paragraph is why I think Waluigi would be a fantastic candidate for the final fighter.
Not to mention that we already know Nintendo is aware of how much the fans want Waluigi to some degree, I think it was Reggie who commented on it?

I somehow doubt we'll get another Mario newcomer this cycle.

If Waluigi ends up as one of the final fighters, I will purchase all the fighter DLC.

Thank you for reading.

Back