what is your opinion on MK7

xoalora

Bob-omb
Pronouns
He/Him
MarioWiki
DryBowser64
i'd say it's a pretty nice game the gliders and everything

One of the weakest titles (if not the weakest) in the series. Gimmicks that add literally nothing to the gameplay, lacking in basics features such as Vs. Race, weird roster choices, weak track design, and gameplay that's far less skill based then any previous game.

Weird roster, and I'm not just saying that because my main man got the boot over a caterpillar and a giant bee. Also kind of a weird opinion to have, but I honestly miss when karts weren't customizable. Still fun to play though.

Yeah, I'd say it's one of the weaker entries in the series on account of not adding a whole lot of new stuff, having strange roster decisions, missing certain core features from other games, and just being overshadowed by the games immediately before and after it. That being said, I do think the addition of gliders and underwater adds a lot more potential for flexibility and creativity with track designs, and the game has some pretty neat tracks.

i dont own the game, but ive played it, and ill say that its alright. it has some really good tracks, but the roster is weird and a lot of new items are forgettable like the tail

Seems like a decent game, since the tracks are good and the modding crowd seems quite nice, but, the character choices are confusing and there's not much to do.
Haven't played it, though. So, I couldn't tell.

Its fun, I have played on the 2ds a lot and has that sort of "old game charm" with secret characters that you can unlock and what not. Going underwater and gliding is great and the roster is pretty good. I think that definitely Mario Kart 8 (WiiU) is a lot better because it has anti gravity and a better roster including dlc. The tracks in MK7 are really good like; DK Jungle (which is remasterd in MK8), that music one, and some others. My opinion on the game is that it is a great handheld mario kart game for the ds but both versions of Mario Kart 8 are much better. I think the "old/creepy game charm" that it has is definitely good because the graphics are not as good as MK8 and there is a lot of unannounced unlocks that you can get (like other characters). I think it is really cool in older games that you can unlock something and only find out when you go to selection page of that type of item.

TLDR: Its a good game for 3DS but if you have a Switch or Wii U play Mario Kart 8

I've played it and all the titles before it, and it's my favorite so far, with the GBA and DS ones tied in second.
It's definitely skill based if you're aiming for online top rank and/or best time attacks.
The new tracks are beautiful and creative imo, and has my fav selection of retro tracks.
The karts and items work very smoothly.
It does have its obvious flaws however. Missing Waluigi despite having a track based on him, everyone looking like badly modeled plastic toys (which I guess is somewhat homage to the original Mario Kart?? likely coincidence), and the lack of VS is absolutely the biggest flaw. It also continues the flaw of every MK game in which Battle mode has no trophies, but eh, someday right?

But overall, again, I love it. I love that you can play it in 3D. I love having Peach's castle as a course, cheep cheep beach, Pirnaha Plant Slide, the music course, Wario's shipwreck, and Neo Bowser City come to mind.
I love the underwater and flying gimmicks too, they give a nice change of flow to the game.

Last edited:
It has good tracks and I like using the gliders. No VS mode does prevent me from replaying the courses as much as I would like.

It's honestly one of the weakest games in the franchise IMO, in fact I'd argue it's the weakest out of all of the traditional MK games. It's not that it's a bad game, but it just feels like it was just more of the same and there was nothing that really made it stand out.

Or as Scott the Woz put it, 'It's fucking Mario Kart again!'

Uh, there is a VS mode, though. It's not single-player, but it honestly doesn't need to be. And you can race online, used to do that all the time before I got MK8. Sometimes I still find someone playing.
Even in Multiplayer VS mode, courses are selected at random on offline and online modes.

Uh, there is a VS mode, though. It's not single-player, but it honestly doesn't need to be.

I don't like having to go through the trouble of racing on tracks such as Cheep Cheep Lagoon just to play on Shy Guy Bazaar. This mode has been implemented since Super Circuit's Quick Run or DS's VS mode, there is absolutely no excuse to leave a feature like that out of a supposed upgrade to the next gen system. It's a basic feature of racing games in general, not just Mario Kart, to be able to pick and choose to drive on whatever tracks you like.

The one thing good that Mario Kart 7 offered was the kart customization. The character roster, however, was on the weak side, and the lack of a solo VS mode was also disappointing.

The one thing good that Mario Kart 7 offered was the kart customization. The character roster, however, was on the weak side, and the lack of a solo VS mode was also disappointing.
not just that but dont forget the battle mode which is i think is a bit overrated

not just that but dont forget the battle mode which is i think is a bit overrated

Now that I think about it, the rivalry system does feel very unnecessary. It gets so boring whenever you play as Mario, and yet the top 2 CPUs are always Metal Mario (Peach if Metal Mario has not been unlocked yet) and Bowser.

Now that I think about it, the rivalry system does feel very unnecessary. It gets so boring whenever you play as Mario, and yet the top 2 CPUs are always Metal Mario (Peach if Metal Mario has not been unlocked yet) and Bowser.
It's not perfect. The first race can screw them up. I've had Metal Mario get his ass kicked in both Shell Cup and whatever the next retro cup is, where he got 7th overall. I still remember Luigi being my opponent and then he somehow got hit by one of my shells and then he dropped to last, in Luigi's Mansion. I suppose he's at a big stage disadvantage. :P

Mario Kart 8 makes it completely superfluous. Even other Mario karts I can find a reason to play them on occasion but not 7.

It's not perfect. The first race can screw them up. I've had Metal Mario get his ass kicked in both Shell Cup and whatever the next retro cup is, where he got 7th overall. I still remember Luigi being my opponent and then he somehow got hit by one of my shells and then he dropped to last, in Luigi's Mansion. I suppose he's at a big stage disadvantage. :P

Well, what I mean is that whenever you're playing as Mario, two of the CPUs will "always" be Metal Mario (or Peach) and Bowser, and they tend to perform better than everyone else as a result.

Back