Gauging Popular Opinions (Current: DiC's Mario Cartoons)

What is your opinion on the Mario animated series by DiC (Super Show, Bros. 3, World)?

• I love the animated series for what they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There are things I like about the animated series, enough for me to like them.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Even though there are some things I like about them, I still don't care for them.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I like the animated series only for its cheesy value.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I consider the animated series to be a waste of time and energy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1591506585946.png

The results are in! Although the voting sample is appallingly low...
  1. Son of Donkey Kong Jr. (a.k.a. Donkey Kong the Third) Votes: 7 (46.7%)
  2. Grown-up Donkey Kong Jr. Votes: 6 (40.0%)
  3. Other (please specify) Votes: 2 (13.3%)

It seems that the common idea that the current Donkey Kong being an original Kong introduced in Donkey Kong Country is popular, edging out of how Rare's guys envisioned Donkey Kong to be: a grown-up Junior. This is despite the fact that it's commonly stated that Donkey Kong is the grandson of Cranky Kong even in Nintendo's own games (as in, after Rare became part of Microsoft), so I guess even the original owners can't convince fans of certain details. I kind of regret putting "Other (please specify)" since I did not see any replies that specify a possible third possibility for the current Donkey Kong, so I suppose from now on, the "please specify" option will be omitted due to a lack of replies that made clear what the other choices are.

This next poll will be about Toad's voice. Ever since Super Mario Advance, Toad had this raspy voice that a lot of people took notice because it sounded pretty much unlike any other voice at that time, compared to his more generically high-pitched voice he used in the Nintendo 64 games. It didn't help that Toad made this sound a lot, but still, some people appreciate his strange voice choice. What do you think? Poll change might take a moment.

Thank you for reading.

Oh, you know my opinion on the raspy Toad voice. It's perfection. It spawned a bunch of YouTube videos where people try singing in Toad's voice.

Oh, you know my opinion on the raspy Toad voice. It's perfection. It spawned a bunch of YouTube videos where people try singing in Toad's voice.

Centuries of development in the musical arts has led to Toad Sings Chandelier and I'm proud of our generation of humans for achieving that.

ngl the modern toad voice did sound obnoxious at times (mario advance for example) but that was more in earlier appaerances and even that was ok. nowadays its way more softer and pleasing to listen to and the raspiness do be pretty unique! ok so basically i love it

I felt like I heard Toad for the first time in Super Mario Advance, and I thought it was fitting back then since I assumed that that was always his voice. Although I now know that it wasn't always like that, especially in the Nintendo 64 games, I grew to appreciate how unique Toad's voice is, because it's rare to purposefully give characters a high-pitched raspy voice without making it too annoying. Plus, a lot of people are inspired to sing as Toad, which is very funny because of how difficult it is to take his voice seriously, especially if there is a tonal dissonance.

Thank you for reading.

yeah it's good

Before Toad I wouldn't have known the perfect voice for a mushroom person, he should get a guest appearance on Annoying Orange.

Since I loved using Toad in Mario Kart; Super Circuit, I find the new voice really grating (on purpose) but also really funny in cases like the kart blowing up in Mario Kart: Double Dash.

I like both voice's equally, however I do prefer the Japanese/European version of his classic voice over the American one.

I felt like I heard Toad for the first time in Super Mario Advance, and I thought it was fitting back then since I assumed that that was always his voice. Although I now know that it wasn't always like that, especially in the Nintendo 64 games, I grew to appreciate how unique Toad's voice is, because it's rare to purposefully give characters a high-pitched raspy voice without making it too annoying. Plus, a lot of people are inspired to sing as Toad, which is very funny because of how difficult it is to take his voice seriously, especially if there is a tonal dissonance.
Thank you for reading.

I'm in not too dissimilar a boat, actually, except you can swap out Advance with Sunshine and Mario Party 4. I won't say that I particularly like Toad's voice these days, but I have nothing against it. It works for the character/species, and it's not, to me at least, annoying in any way. As long as it isn't overdone, with very repetitive soundclips played over and over in a short span of time, it works just fine.

I've seen someone make a joke about how Illumination is going to assault our ears with Toad screams when they try to use them for marketing purposes like the did the Minions. I don't know that I quite like that idea, even as a joke, but, I mean, if there's not at least one scene with panicking Toads in the vein of Super Mario Galaxy's opening filled with the horrible, overlapping screaming of a town full of Toads, I don't even know what you're doing with this movie... That Toads as a species are apparently prone to senseless panic (see, Galaxy, Super Princess Peach) is actually a trait I find endearing!

1591777669081.png

The results are in! The results are pretty much ranked in ascending order:
  1. I love the current high-pitched, raspy rendition. Votes: 14 (58.3%)
  2. I did not mind it. Votes: 7 (29.2%)
  3. I am annoyed by it, but can tolerate it. Votes: 2 (8.3%)
  4. I really dislike how he sounded now. Would prefer his older voice without the raspiness. Votes: 1 (4.2%)
  5. I dislike any portrayal of Toad's voice throughout his history. Votes: 0 (0.0%)

As we can see, Toad's current voice is generally favoured, which can be attributed to how long it has been used for. In fact, even though Toad's voice is not generically cute, many people still enjoyed it for its uniqueness. Even then, some people aren't fond of how Toad sounded, though I imagine that there are more than one person who found his new voice to be awkward. Still, nobody had any problems with at least one portrayal of Toad.

The next poll will be about Yoshi, but it's not about whether you like him or not. Rather, it's about why you like Yoshi! I have rounded up the possible opinions to five, and while I would have wanted to add some reasons rooted in irony (such as liking to see him get hurt), it would probably be unsettling for those who actually liked the strange froggy dinosaur (or whatever Yoshi is). If there are any other reasons that you like Yoshi, but it's not listed in the poll, I encourage you to post something about it here.

Thank you for reading.

i think yoshi's good. he's cute and i've been with him since i played galaxy 2 (a long time ago.) however he's far from my favourite mario character.
i put him eighteenth on my favourite mario characters list, so as i say - good but far from my fav

I like Yoshi as a character, but I'm not sure if I like how he developed from long and thin to short and stout. I don't mind his voice, and I think that he has unique traits and abilities. I don't like seeing Mario sacrifice him to save his own self, I think that's selfish and arrogant, but then again, it's up to the player how Yoshi is used (or misused).

hes friend shaped :] i do be lovin the new 2d artwork that takes a lot of inspiration from the earliest design i think this is great
Mario_Yoshi_Toad_Karaoke_Artwork.png

i do wonder if theyre gonna transfer the changes to 3d too.. mario is slightly stubbier in mario odyssey its possible for changes to happen in 3d designs!

Personally i like Yoshi just fine but find him to be one of the more overrated of the main bunch. As in, i think he just kind of exists and i don't get the praise beyond that. He's not bad by any means though, and out of his traits I voted for 1, 3 and 5. His attitude is endearing and positive, he's always willing to help out, and he has useful abilities. Out of the two main "cute" characters, I like Yoshi far more than Toad.

This poll was inspired by a few factors: The first is that I wanted a Super Mario World-related poll coming from those dealing with SMB, SMB2 and SMB3 but wasn't able to figure out the best point of the topic. Then I focused on Yoshi because he is one of the more popular characters around here, usually comparable to Mario, so instead of asking if one likes Yoshi or not, I gave it a positive twist (which is why I didn't put any negative reasons).

Anyway, from the reasons I like Yoshi, I will pick his personality, his dependability and his love for food. It's nice that he's similar to Mario due to his positive-oriented personality, he's also quite a great partner to have in the adventure, and for the food part, I guess I just can relate to his gluttony. One additional reason that I like Yoshi is due to how strange he is: at a close glance, he's not just based on a particular animal, and he can somehow make eggs out of anything he eats. Plus, despite the fact that he's voiced by a man, it somehow sounded cute enough after speeding up the voices.

@ZelenPixel @Sweetie Belle @Paper Goomba In case you haven't voted, please vote, because the poll is up.

Thank you for reading.

I think that, in terms of the poll, I have to go with Yoshi's abilities. It's really his unique suite of abilities that seem to find creative uses and adaptations in various games - from angling egg shots off walls in SMW2:YI to using his eggs to get a little extra height in Smash to striking down targets in the background of Crafted World, to using that tongue to swing around in SMG2 and to bound around in Odyssey, to the stranger abilities like the juice-spitting in Sunshine. Yoshi as a character and Yoshi as a species have always been defined by their neat, versatile range of abilities. I mean, even all the way back in Super Mario World, my favorite discovery as a kid was realizing the different abilities different colors of shells granted Yoshi!

Though, I do admit, like winstein, I also find his gluttony rather relatable... It doesn't hurt that it makes him better match that red-capped plumber who we saw transfixed by thoughts of "succulent seafood" in Sunshine's intro sequence. It's not hard at all to imagine Mario and his pal Yoshi chowing down without restraint!

I have to agree with Goombuigi and Zelen, though. Yoshi's older design is far more charming and endearing than his modern design, and I hope they continue to bring elements of it back in whatever ways they can.

It just occurred to me that my favorite Mario characters all are turtles with foot pads... and that includes Yoshi!
SMSQPB5_Shoeless_Yoshi.png

Jokes aside, for me Yoshi's dino-cute appearance has always been what I find more charming about him; in terms of personality I'm fond also of the tough looking Yoshis like Boshi or Mini-Yoshi in the Thousand-Year Door, so I like his joyful personality a lot but it wasn't his "selling point" for me.

His abilities though definitely make him likeable when playing as him, especially in Super Mario Run where he can flutter jump and walk on spikes.

Last edited:
I like Yoshi because of all 5 options in the poll. Not only that, but also his personality is similar to mine, which is why I am also a Yoshi. Or is it that I am a Yoshi that our personalities are similar... In either case, I like his personality.

Back