Favorite/Least Favorite YouTubers?

Pokerninja2

Cheep Cheep
Pronouns
He/him
Of course ones who mainly cover Mario / Nintendo content, let's play channels are fine too. Use this to just talk about your (least) favorite content creators or recommend channels to others.

Favorites:
  • Summoning Salt is someone I could listen to for days. He makes videos covering the history of speedrunning in various games, and they're a pretty interesting watch; my favorite is the videos covering Mario Kart courses.
  • BikdipOnABus is probably my favorite LP channel, though I know he wouldn't be for everyone. He has a pretty unique style of humor that just makes his videos entertaining to watch for me. Definitely the best series he's done are those of Super Mario 64 ROM hacks.
  • Mayro makes entertaining content on New Super Mario Bros. series mods. Their style of comedy is weird but in an endearing way. Also just seems pretty chill in general.
  • I watch a lot of Smash content creators but Little Z, ZeRo, and Quak are probably my favorites; they make really entertaining videos. I'd also recommend King of Skill who makes really good montages and IzawSmash who makes extremely in-depths and informative guides.
  • Arlo makes some pretty informative videos, and I generally agree with his opinions on most of the videos he makes. Also pretty entertaining with his blue puppet shtick.
  • Vinesauce is a true classic.
Least Favorites:
  • Nathaniel Bandy still making TRIGGERED jokes in 2020.
  • Dorkly almost every joke they do you've seen or heard a million times. It's not a joke if your audience gets to the punchline before you do.
  • SuperMarioLogan is a smug, talentless asshole whose only skill is living in this gray area where he does bad shit but never bad enough to tank his career.
  • I used to really like SMG4 but his comedy style has changed very much in recent years compared to what he used to do and he's just fallen out of my interest.
  • And finally to cap all this off with a hot take: VideoGameDunkey's game critics video is a low point he hasn't recovered from imo. While he didn't put out a video as bad as that one again, his schtick has gotten really tired for me and I don't really respect his opinion as a reviewer because of that video game critics video where he elevates himself as a reviewer better than the outlets because his rating system gives more 3s and 2s on a 5 point scale. This thought process seems to still be at play too. Hasn't earned a unsubscribe yet but he's close to.

I used to watch the Runaway Guys but I don't really watch LPers that much any more. Aside from them, I don't really watch Mario-centric YouTubers.

The only youtube related Mario things I look at these days is when the people at giant bomb playing something Mario related.

I don't have any favorite Mario YTbers, but one of my favorite FE youtubers, called Mekkkah, started playing some Mario Maker 2 recently and it makes me realize how hilarious it is to be playing this game with a Fire Emblem mindset.

Least favorite is probably Nathaniel Bandy or Nicobbq. Both do content that I find is really reptitive for the most part, and their videos have just become extremely stale for my tastes. And whenever they do like, a Top 10 list both their results start looking roughly the same. Idk I don't like these channels.

oh mario specifically.. ill see what i can find
ceave gaming while he does have a bit of a quirky accent and. catch phrases?? i think his videos are pretty dam charming in general and informative
smallant1 has some entertaining mario odyssey speedrun highlights also. beat the game with 3 captures? How
icay makes entertaining smm2 videos 👁 these glitches...
desbug also with the multiplayer videos. i dunno theyre just fun
pannenkoek2012 of course. very dedicated to mario 64 and i respect that a ton
i unironically like smg4 more than id like to admit

favorite youtubers in general.. i could write a ton or just shoutout nitrorad so yea nitrorad is prob my number 1 favorite at this point
no least favorite but yea ill agree with yall on getting tired of bandys content. its just tons upon tons of "triggered" videos even ignoring the fact that theyre still named that in the first place

Last edited:

I don't watch any Mario or Nintendo-focused youtuber really but I just wanna say I can't respect any content creator that unironically said the 2016 Doom "has a very Nintendo-like gameplay loop" lol

I find him fine and all but, it's pretty clear to me he doesn't play much outside of Nintendo stuff, a common problem I have with many Nintendo fans.

I don't watch any Mario or Nintendo-focused youtuber really but I just wanna say I can't respect any content creator that unironically said the 2016 Doom "has a very Nintendo-like gameplay loop" lol
*spits out drink*

what's a "nintendo-like gameplay loop"

In NB's defense, the Triggered videos really have little to do with triggered jokes other than that being the name. I've heard that he's wanted to change the name in the past but the fans would always vote to keep the old name in polls. I still like to watch those videos, the Mind-blowing ones, and the top tens occasionally, but I will admit that most of his content doesn't interest me anymore.

I like Arlo. He is very Nintendo-centric, but he tries to do some non-Nintendo stuff now and then. He's got a wholesome air about him and he doesn't deserve the bad rap he gets from Twitter people.

I am not attached to any particular Youtuber, but I do like the Runaway Guys collaborations when they do a Mario game, such as the recent Mario Party 8. They did cover the past 7 Mario Party games, excluding Mario Party Advance and Mario Party-e. They also cover certain Mario games with a co-op element such as the New Super Mario Bros. games and Super Mario 3D World too. I knew them because I heard of Chugga A. Conroy from Bulbapedia and NintendoCapriSun from a Mario Party Composer video, but ProtonJon was new to me. I didn't like the latter at first because he's crasser compared to the other two and his skill is a level above the others, but I warmed up to him after he used Waluigi in a Fortune Street match (and is subsequently his main character choice thereafter) because it's like Waluigi wins very often and that made it better to watch.

SwankyBox is another nice channel, because of his informative stance on his videos. Plus, he has unique intros related to the game and topic of coverage. For example, the "L is Real 2401" video has Luigi looming on the foreground.

Thank you for reading.

Though most of these are limited to their Mario content (mostly the games that I'm also into myself), some YouTubers I enjoy are:

Ryukahr
DGR
Aurateur
Thabeast721
Arlo
TheRunawayGuys
-Chuggaaconroy
-ProtonJon
-NintendoCapriSun
SullyPwnz
Mayro
PKSparkxx
KoopaKungFu
Lucahjin
and more

Also, Man on the Internet is currently playing straight to my inner SPM fangirl with their amazing lyrical covers of songs from the game, I seriously can't get enough of these!

Favorites:

The Gaming Historian - His videos are really interesting and I've learned a lot about gaming history because of him.

ExoParadigmGamer - Probably most famous for his Remake or Rebreak series, his reviews are really interesting to watch and give detailed, informed opinions on games while at the same time embrace subjectivity.

TetraBitGaming - I haven't seen many of his videos but I have a good experience with the ones I have. I've always been fascinated by pre-release and unused content.

As for least favorites...I haven't seen too many videos I don't like. I don't think I can name one.

Reactions: zel
ExoParadigmGamer

oh RIGHT. I like his videos, but the Luigi's Mansion one where he somehow gets into his mind Luigi's Mansion is a "metroidvania" (because you ocasionally backtrack and can reenter cleared rooms, I guess?) and criticizes it on that basic even though LM clearly sets itself as an arcade score-attack game was seriously off the mark (and I don't even like LM that much).

oh RIGHT. I like his videos, but the Luigi's Mansion one where he somehow gets into his mind Luigi's Mansion is a "metroidvania" (because you ocasionally backtrack and can reenter cleared rooms, I guess?) and criticizes it on that basic even though LM clearly sets itself as an arcade score-attack game was seriously off the mark (and I don't even like LM that much).
I haven't seen his Luigi's Mansion one yet but yeah, I definitely wouldn't call it a metroidvania.

omg yea exo is really good i LOVE super long game reviews like that so much. raycevick made a ton of good ones like that too and liam triforce

Gaming Historian and Summoning Salt are really fun and informative. Vinesauce is a classic.

I fucking hate Nathaniel Bandy and Nicobbq and his forced voice is just gggghggggh. I don't like Top 10s much. I don't watch LPs either.

I'm just mentioning Gaming related channels tho.

360Chrism
Bird650
Summoning Salt
Pannek
ZeRo
Leffen
Armada
... Nintendo

Watch a lot of Pokemon / general gaming stuff as well.

We need more women Mario-tendo content creators. The only one I can think of is the one in Nintendo Minute.

Favorites:

~ Alvin-Earthworm -
Needs absolutely no introduction, the legend from the NewGrounds' golden age single handedly responsible for the one of the best Mario and Sonic crossovers on the face of the internet.
~Kirbopher - Of SMRPG Rawest Forest and Waltz of the Forest fame, also involved with other well known fan projects like Brawl Taunts and the Nin10doh series.
~ Marioshi64 - Another really good animator, quite fond of this video in particular.
~ TerminalMontage - Yet another really good animator, making strides with Mario and Luigi's Ultimate Attack and Plumbing Plantastrophe. (Also his NoPunIntendo and Something About series are pretty good too.)
~ @Count Bleck With Claws - and of course my fellow MaRPG connoisseur puts out a plethora of excellent content out as well.
~ Vinesauce - Mostly just Vinny and sometimes Joel, I don't really watch a whole lot of streamers or even let's players nowadays but their content is still entertaining enough to keep me coming back.
~ Boundary Break - Fun way to learn about all the little secrets that the players weren't meant to see hidden just out of plain sight.
~ Glitch Fest/Son of a Glitch/Glitch Vault/GlitchBusters/Ect. - There's definitely a lot of channels dedicated to exploiting various glitches and what-not, all a jolly good time to watch.
~ AntDude/NitroRad/SomeCallMeJohnny - Usually my go-tos for comedic and entertaining reviews.
~ MatthewMatosis/KingK - Usually my go-tos for more lengthier and informative reviews.

Least Favorites:

~ The Game Theorists -
It's no secret that I used to have beef with this channel's content, especially around December of 2013 for... well, obvious reasons. Though ironically enough when this channel was still small and starting up I used to enjoy some of their earlier videos like the one about the potions and power bands in Zelda.
~ Dorkly - The same tired jokes... over and over again. To be fair I do enjoy some of their other series like Pokemon Rusty and Sonic For Hire, but the rest more or less ranges from "just okay" to "please stop".
~ TheGamer - Clickbatey garbage designed to reel in those YouTube shmeckles, basically WatchMojo except somehow even scummier.

We need more women Mario-tendo content creators. The only one I can think of is the one in Nintendo Minute.
Gw8dFv4.gif

The thought floats in my head but I can't focus on one project without drifting to others. Also I can't video edit out of a paper bag. Not saying I'm unable to video edit but other things occupy my time.

Representation matters. Lack of representation has a looping effect. If you don't see someone like you in a position, then it's harder for you to see yourself there. In turn we miss out on art from these marginalised voices. There are hundreds of studies on this. It's not limited to Youtube. It applies to all intersections of privilege (gender, race, affluence, culture, etc).

It's a cop out to say it doesn't matter.

Well one could argue thats because society puts too much emphasis on gender but that would be derailing this into something thats not really appropriate for this board.

to add to my earlier posts lemme quote one of my flight rising posts from january
actually looking at my subscriptions. holy HELL did i write a HUGE list and the vast majority of it is video game related whoops. there is no way theyre All underrated either
  • pjiggles makes some dam interesting smash bros videos!!!
  • game maker's toolkit makes super interesting and imformative game design videos!
  • ceave gaming is just charming and has a ton of really neat smm2 stufff!
  • shesez has boundary break, "where we basically take the camera anywhere we want and we try to find secrets and hidden discoveries to some of our favorite games" and its neat too!
  • not sure nitrorad is really considered underrated but i wanna mention him anyway because hes like one of my favorite channels on ytutube ever!!! he makes imformative game reviews with Just the right amount of humor and theyre just so chill. everything is easily understandable. im a big fan
  • oh speaking of game reviews.. raycevick makes like, hour long reviews that are Super informative!! i love that kinda stuff! check out
  • summoning salt Incredible speedrun related videos!
  • new frame plus is on game animation and its very interesting
  • akfamilyhome has the best tweets but anyway its just neat lil video game things!
  • OH OH TIERZOO it is So good. its like. tierlists for real loyf biology. Super interesting
  • NAKEYJAKEY... super chill, videos mostly on video games.. theres a certain charm to these
  • lgr is also chill and makes videos on pc stuff (and also pc video games HDFGHLK)
  • smallant1 has speedrun/challenge run highlights and such for mario odyssey, zelda botw, etc! theyre pretty fun
  • caddicarus i wouldnt consider underrated either but wahtever. he also makes game reviews, but more humorous, the humor is kinda nasty at times keep it in minid but i enjoy the videos a ton still. currently bingewatching these
  • pannenkoek2012 Lots of interesting stuff on mario 64 specifically. and yes theres way more to this channel than just parallel universes and half a presses and building up speed for 12 hours...

Representation matters. Lack of representation has a looping effect. If you don't see someone like you in a position, then it's harder for you to see yourself there. In turn we miss out on art from these marginalised voices. There are hundreds of studies on this. It's not limited to Youtube. It applies to all intersections of privilege (gender, race, affluence, culture, etc).

It's a cop out to say it doesn't matter.

Video games in general are like this. Many of the big popular games have an overly dominant male player base and it makes me feel weird from time to time to be one of the fewer female players.

On the flipside, games with larger female player bases such as the Sims (60% of the players are female!!) or Animal Crossing make me feel much more at home and make me glad that there are game genres out there with a considerable female playerbase. I think it's fascinating to do case studies on why those types of games have a bigger female audience than even something gender neutral like Mario.

Back