Unique Mario Music

Freddie Freaker

Call Now! 1-900-490-FREAK
Pronouns
SHE/THEY
I've made two posts about official Mario arrangement albums in the Random Thoughts thread, and that's got me thinking, are there any songs in the Mario series that are unique when compared to everything the series has to offer?

I'll start off by mentioning Super Mario Compact Disco, which manages to be the weirdest of the arrangement albums. It features a man rapping over remixes of music from NES/SNES-era Mario games, and weird breaks in between the songs where the same man pretends to host a radio station. It's definitely one of the weirdest albums I've ever listened to. Also, I recognise some of the vocal samples in the opening from music by Hideki Naganuma, and Stardust Speedway.

I'd also like to mention Mario & Sonic at Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games's version of Buoy Base Galaxy, which was done in a Trap style. It has to be one of my favourite arrangements in the series.

The entire track of DDR: Mario Mix is probably worth a mention. It has a lot of cover versions of... classical songs for some reason? Always Smiling is one of them, with added lyrics. This predates Jump Up Superstar by a longshot.

Super Paper Mario has a unique soundtrack. It incorporates a lot of weird sound effects you wouldn't expect to hear in music, but they go nicely for the most part and give it more personality. One common one I noticed is there's a springy kind of sound, most notable in Mr. L's theme but I've noticed it throughout the game, with Mr. L it complements how something is "off" about him, and for the game in general, how this game loves to walk on the weird side and push boundaries. Birth of the Chaos Heart is another one where you hear the spring sounds, and with that one it gives me the feeling of "oh shit, this thing is breaking the inner workings of reality, this ain't gonna be no standard Mario game is it"

the soundtrack is one of many many reasons i love it.

I've thought that Super Mario Odyssey's vocal tracks are unique mainly for the fact that Mario games at that point have music that aren't sang vocally. Yes, there's an A Capella Mario theme in Super Mario Sunshine, but it's the most notable game where a few songs have lyrics.

I'll start off by mentioning Super Mario Compact Disco, which manages to be the weirdest of the arrangement albums. It features a man rapping over remixes of music from NES/SNES-era Mario games, and weird breaks in between the songs where the same man pretends to host a radio station. It's definitely one of the weirdest albums I've ever listened to. Also, I recognise some of the vocal samples in the opening from music by Hideki Naganuma, and Stardust Speedway.
The Super Mario Compact Disco is a good mention because it's one of the few times in the early days that Daisy is not only acknowledged, but also singing a song.

Thank you for reading.

Soft Light
Credits TTYD
Excess Express at Dusk
SM64 Credits
Space Junk Galaxy

Sorry don't have time to write why all of these are unique but I really feel they are

Unique Mario music, you say? Sherbet Land's theme from Mario Hoops 3-on-3 certainly sounds different from the status quo for the series' music.

But if we're going by soundtracks as a whole for each game, I'd say the original Paper Mario certainly has a unique feel to it. That soundfont is amazing, and no other game has music that sounds the way it does!

Super Paper Mario has a unique soundtrack. It incorporates a lot of weird sound effects you wouldn't expect to hear in music, but they go nicely for the most part and give it more personality. One common one I noticed is there's a springy kind of sound, most notable in Mr. L's theme but I've noticed it throughout the game, with Mr. L it complements how something is "off" about him, and for the game in general, how this game loves to walk on the weird side and push boundaries. Birth of the Chaos Heart is another one where you hear the spring sounds, and with that one it gives me the feeling of "oh shit, this thing is breaking the inner workings of reality, this ain't gonna be no standard Mario game is it"

the soundtrack is one of many many reasons i love it.

thank you for stealing my answer, haha~

also just want to say that noteblock's remix of this song ruins it BUT aj dispirito kept the weird instrumentation and put it with jazz and it is so good omg

Back