20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 20: A game that truly scared you

Re: 20 Day Videogame Challenge - Day 12: Game/series you've never been interested in

Generally most shooters, battle royale games and non-Mario sports games.

I also tried to sit down to Xenoblade Chronicles X a couple years back but it didn't really sink it's hooks into me.

Re: 20 Day Videogame Challenge - Day 12: Game/series you've never been interested in

This is easy.

Fortnite

Fallout.

It's just not gonna happen.

honestly outside of like licensed movie tie ins and other obscure stuff i've never heard of, there's really no major game series that I don't want to try at some point down the line even if I haven't got around to it yet. i'm always open to new experiences. I don't really see the need to arbitrarily shut down my chances of playing a fun new game because of something dumb like brand loyalty to one exclusive publisher (eg nintendo): or stupid stuff such as "this game doesn't have enough violence," and conversely, "this game has violence and sex oh noes." plus there's really no series/single game (that i'm aware of) which looks dull enough for me to not at least give it a single whirl

-Fortnite, as it's basically the worst thing in existence.
-Sports games (FIFA, WWE, etc)
-League Of Legends, Dota, and those other kinds of games.
-Bubsy games, especially after the Bubsy 3D catastrophe.

After playing some of Atlus' games, I have came to the conclusion that Atlus games like Shin Megami Tensei doesn't appeal to me at all. I would probably feel the same way for the Persona games despite never playing them. Maybe Catherine would be interesting to me for its puzzle element, but its general theming is something I am not interested in. I felt that this doesn't count because I at least expressed an interest in them at one point, but from that point onward, Atlus games are games I avoid mainly due to disinterest in their style.

This brings me to a large category of games where I am never interested in: games with a realistic style and setting. The games I usually play are usually fantastical in its theme, like as though it is a cartoon. Even if it's not clearly cartoonish, if its styling is not like real life it is still fine by me. I typically associate real life settings as dull ones, which is the same reason I prefer animated films over live action films, unless the latter has a very interesting premise like The Truman Show.

To illustrate what I am talking about, I present the Call of Duty series and Assassin's Creed series, both series with a sort of realism in its characters and setting that I don't find interesting. Perhaps the base gameplay for both are great since they are after all best-selling series, but its styling makes it tough to recommend to me.

Thank you for reading.

Fortnite and Pikmin are my personal choices for this

Any MMO game/series

Bubsy, the guy is very annoying, and I will never play his games, no matter how bad they are!

Spyro the Dragon comes in as a close second, while I like some characters from it, Spyro himself is a bully, and not in a good way!

Madden and FIFA - They're the same game every single goddamn time each generation.

here's the part where i catch up

9. Favorite villain - This one took a LOT of thinking to determine, but ultimately... Ridley. Samus's iconic archenemy, the guy just WILL NOT DIE, and he manages to come back every time even madder. In several of the games he's in, the Ridley fight is an iconic aspect of it, and I never get tired of seeing big purple space dragon come back for another go.

Close second would be
Simon Keyes. What a jackass. What a smug mastermind. Seeing him get punched in the face was A+

10. Favorite game as a kid - Gotta be Cartoon Cartoon Summer Resort. I played that game all the damn time when it was on the CN website. Especially episode 3. I actually beat all four, go me!

11. Five of your favorite video games - Well, let's see... Metroid Prime 2, Danganronpa 2, Paper Mario 2, Bravely Second, and Yoshi's Island.

...I've got a thing for sequels, apparently.

12. A game or series you've never been interested in - Star Fox and Animal Crossing both come to mind. I dunno what it is! I just look at them and I go "i don't think I want to invest time and money into playing that"

I never liked online PvP games ever, because I strongly dislike online play against randoms in general. Be it features in Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Left 4 Dead 2, Pokemon, etc. every time a multiplayer game features an online component to it, I'll ignore it. So if there are any video games where the sole focus of them is to coup against random people without any offline mode as good as the online but against CPUs or couch co-op, I will not be interested in them. This includes games like Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2, Splatoon, MMO's, virtually all MOBAs like Dota 2 and League of Legends, and battle royale games like Fortnite, Player's Unknown Battlegrounds, and Apex Legends. Even if the game was PvE I still wouldn't like it all that much, just not as strong to dislike as PvP. Some of the games might have an offline mode against CPUs like Overwatch and some of the MOBAs, but typically, they're heavily gimped and don't provide the full experience (in Overwatch's case for example, not all characters are even usable as bots and not all modes are playable).

In my opinion, play with friends is much more of a better experience than playing with strangers which I always find tepid and dry. It's either that or CPUs.

i always do dumb shit like half not wanting to play games because the aesthetic is ugly i.e. world of warcraft, but anyway, im not that interested in kid icarus uprising or the stanley parable because of a combination of the dialogue and (seeming lack of, for the latter) gameplay

star fox and f-zero are series i've tried already that i can see the merit in, but they aren't very exciting for me to actually play

Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 13: Favorite NPC or party member

Hi I'm so sorry I forgot to update this last night! This will update again at the regularly scheduled again tomorrow night so we can get back on track, but till then, your next challenge: Your favorite NPC or party member!

If Pokémon, Digimon, or Yo-kai don’t count, than I’ll say this:

Mayor Pauline(SMO), the fact that she created a festival to celebrate the history of New Donk City, as well as the songs she sings makes her a memorable NPC.

Day 12:
Most of the big Nintendo franchises, honestly. F-Zero, AC, etc.
Day 13:
Fav party member huh...I'll say Mini-Yoshi from PM:TTYD.

I feel like this one is super broad because most of the time party members are playable characters and there's so many god damn NPC's in games.

If it's pure NPC then I'd choose Cass from Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold, most of the bartenders are young women in Etrian but its funny that this absolute unit Cass is the best bartender in the series. He's the big friendly shit talker you'd expect to be running a bar and I liked going back to the bar for accepting/submitting quests to see what he has to say. It was kind of sad when there weren't any quests left. I loved the quests he put up himself usually worrying about other NPC's in town or in the labyrinth, it made High Lagaard feel much more like an actual town to return to compared to some of the other games in the series.

If we're talking party members though
it'd be Hilda, the game kind of doesn't really push any particular female character as the main girl (except Lisette during some points) but once Hilda swaps sides it becomes clear in hindsight that she was relevant and there all along but she was just considered the antagonist for most of it. It's not like she breaks the mold or anything but I do love seeing characters that have lived for so many decades being twisted by the passage of time but still being able to be rehabilitated and find happiness. Also her final upgrade giving her practically a battle wedding dress, good shit imageepoch.

Party Members:

~ Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)
~ Lady Bow (Paper Mario)
~ Vivian (Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door)
~ Rabbid Luigi (Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle)
~ Feraligatr (Pokemon)
~ Ness (Post-Magicant) (Earthbound)
~ Duster (Mother 3)
~ Shade (Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood)
~ Kain Highwind (Final Fantasy IV)
~ Yuffie Kisaragi (Final Fantasy VII)
~ Susie (Deltarune)

NPCs:

1jko7athddj01.gif

Favorite NPC goes to the fishy boi Sidon. He's a super cheery guy who I really feel confident in my quest when he's helping me. He'd even be my husbando if I were a girl or something.

As for party member, although I haven't experienced her myself, I'll have to go with Nailah from, you guessed it, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn. The wolf woman is just a secondary waifu to me at this point (and the one who ACTUALLY has some sort of romantic attraction).

I am struggling to come up with an answer that would qualify as an NPC, so party member it is. My answer might be a bit on the odd side, but it's this: Kirby's Animal Friends!

651px-DL3_Friends.png

At that time, there were practically two Kirby branches from the first Kirby game: one from Sakurai and one from Shimomura. The former's Kirby games ended up fondly remembered, and so too are the characters introduced in his games. On the other hand, Shimomura's Kirby games have a better type of world-building since it is more character focused. As such, Kirby's Animal Friends are emblematic to this, since they look as simple as Kirby is, but their simple designs belie a certain cute charm like little Kirby himself. It's quite a shame that they were left behind, because I like what they introduced: not only for Kirby to have a different ability, but also to have a familiar companion following him. I do take solace on the fact that these animal friends are referenced pretty often, especially the first three (Rick, Kine and Coo).

I do admit that I like some of the animal friends more than others. Rick the hamster was my first choice and I find him cute, followed by Kine. I am not as keen on Chuchu and to a lesser extent Pitch.

Thank you for reading.

NOTE: These are only from games I've played.

NPC: Obviously Toad in games where he appears as one.

Partner: Cappy in Mario Odyssey.

Back