20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 20: A game that truly scared you

Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 10: Favorite game as a kid

Mario Party 8

It’s the first video game I played that wasn’t on PC! I spent countless hours playing that game, it kept me entertained for a long time. It was also one of the first games we got for our Wii, and my first Mario game!

Because I liked it, I got Island Tour, 10, DS, and Star Rush later on(though I still haven’t got 9, The Top 100, Super Mario Party(though I have played it) or any instalments prior to 8 )

(Also, sorry for the scary post I did yesterday, I didn’t mean to scare anyone with those 4 aliens! )

I'd go with Epic Mickey, which I mentioned earlier in this thread, considering that was the game of my dreams. But since that's kinda obvious, I'll go with other ones:

-Mario Power Tennis. Boy I used to imagine other characters in the game with unique special shots. Good times...
-Clash of Clans. Sure, no-one in the universe even cares about this game anymore, but this used to be one of my favourite app games.
-Skylanders. This game was the future at the time. You could get toys in a game and that was basically magic. Well, Amiibo exists now, but this was so good I still have the figures with me. I even have that awesome looking Bowser figure that's also am Amiibo.

Super Mario 64 still. Game that started it, game I grew up with.

Also, Chip's Challenge. I spent so much time on that game. Echoing Winston's thoughts on it, and I want to play the sequel at some point.

Donkey Kong 64

I used to explore the worlds aimlessly as a kid, and I enjoyed doing it just as much as I did collecting everything. My very first save file upon completing the game was 330 hours. Nowadays I can speedrun the game in about 9 hours for a 101% run, or about 1.5-2 hours for a 0 Golden Banana run.

Aside from the obvious Mario and Nintendo choices, I guess I'd just pick the unorthodox choice of the Magic Pen PC Magic School Bus games as a little kid (Explores the Solar System, Human Body, Ocean, Earth, Dinosaurs, and Rainforest - plus i played some few nonMagic Pen ones like Animals, Insects, and Sound). I guess I could have went with the other edutainment PC games at the time like Zoombinis, Cluefinders, I Spy, Mia Mouse, Gizmos and Gadgets, and Mission T.H.I.N.K. but none of them hold that dearly to me in my early childhood than the Magic School Bus ones.

UqrEi84S5w7rld0_hES7AShyXqOUSxqD6LYOJuI505PiaZRwFU8FlVb_y-ZjYJh7Au76j3f2E0o8qdQEkCLoA5lfFHqftruUCtqlR7VS0kR0cb3af6MndZ2enjBxA3aHeA=s412

To be fair, I don't think little kids of the time I was in should play the Human Body one. For its times, the graphics were far too realistic and really terrifying, coupled with scary sound effects and sounds for kids, especially compared to the other Magic School Bus games. It gave me nightmares for a while and LGM and I refused to play it.

Network Q RAC Rally Championship was my favorite game as a kid. I often revisit this game for the nostalgia factor.

I used to play this game on my Windows 98 PCs.

i don't know how many answers I could give that wouldn't just be paper mario or pokemon gold again, or elaborating more on why i think majora's mask is art. I did start liking panel de pon (more specifically, the puzzle league/puzzle challenge versions) pretty early on, though I didn't figure out how to make bigger chains until i was older and revisiting the games

in terms of old computer games i liked, pocket tanks, 3d space cadet pinball, and the built in windows versions of solitaire and minesweeper were all pretty good

Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 11: Five of your favorite video games

We got another fiver! Your challenge today: Five of your favorite video games!

#1. Super Mario Galaxy
#2. Sonic Adventure DX
#3. Splatoon 2
#4. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
#5. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

8. A game not enough people talk about

There are a few here that fit and it's really hard to narrow it down to just one:

*Wario: Master of Disguise - the controls frustrated me beyond belief when I played this game when I was younger but looking past that, this game was brilliant. Insanely creative and charming, really solid gameplay, unique in concept, and I have really vivid memories of characters and enemies and stages even years since the last time I played this game.
*The Professor Layton games, like, any of them - this might just be because the series has run its course without much to drive it since Azran Legacy, but the first six games are all genuinely great and Unwound Future, the third entry, is an emotional masterpiece and is definitely not talked about as much as it should be.
*Pokemon Trading Card Game - all of the spin-off Pokemon games fit here, like Colosseum, XD: Gale of Darkness, and Channel, but the Gameboy Color title definitely takes the cake here. It's honestly one of the best Gameboy titles and it's insanely addicting and it's truthfully a better game than some of the mainstream titles. It also has one of the most impressive soundtracks ever for a GB game.

There are just a lot of black sheep games that are parts of the biggest series out there but they're heavily overshadowed by more well-known and critically acclaimed games. And those acclaimed games definitely deserve the love they get but the black sheep ones are fantastic games in their own right and deserve a lot of love, too. Off the top of my head, games like Star Fox Assault, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission (these two are definitely acclaimed, but the Prime series and Super Metroid definitely tower over them attention-wise).

9. Favorite villain

I guess I could go Godot here but I don't really consider him a malicious villain, and applying villain to him is a very loose label. Instead, I'm going General Zelgius / The Black Knight from Fire Emblem here. I remember being mystified by The Black Knight in PoR the first time I played through it and not being able to defeat him towards the end of the game and being stumped by who he possibly could be or if it was even important. General Zelgius's involvement in the plot went like way over my head and I honestly barely remembered him when I moved on and played Radiant Dawn but my god RD upped the double-life to an extreme and added so many layers of backstory and personality to both Zelgius and The Black Knight that were just incredible and bless Radiant Dawn's soul for making it possible to fight as The Black Knight. Zelgius's heavy backstory and loyalty to Begnion, paired with The Black Knight's own loyalty to Daein and conflicts with Greil and Ike, were done so well and it gave such a mysterious figure such a fleshed out personality and history and the eventual reveal of TBK's identity by Ranulf floored me the first time I played through Radiant Dawn because I somehow did not expect that. He has genuinely been one of my favorite video game characters ever and it made killing him in the endgame so much more difficult but also still worth it. I love the isolation battle between him and Ike in the endgame and the stakes between the two. That endgame chapter was so well done and they just nailed Zelgius/TBK as an incredible and understandable villain.

10. Favorite game as a kid

This one's hard too because there are a bunch of games I could throw in here, especially ones I would just play endlessly and I was lowkey addicted to. Pokemon Trading Card Game definitely fits here, along with Super Smash Bros. Melee. There are two other games here I really want to highlight though because I used to play these alllll the tiiiime when I was younger and I honestly sometimes revisit them when I'm bored because they're still fun today.

The first is a game I laugh about a lot now because revisiting old posts I made in 2008 made me realize I considered this game super mature and it made me edgy, but I would play it non-stop when I was younger. That was The Simpsons: Hit & Run for the GameCube. Basically Grand Theft Auto for children and without the firearms. For being a game whose source material is a television show, it's actually a really competent and fun game. It's also chock-full of cheat codes and stuff that make the game even more of a cluster than it already is.

The other one is a game I cited in the first video game challenge a few years ago, but Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire was and is soooo addicting. I don't have much more to say other than it's pinball but Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. The music is so catchy and it's just so much fun. Pinball is a healthy addiction, kids.

OH AND ALSO ZOOMBINIS. THANK YOU BABY LUIGI FOR MENTIONING ZOOMBINIS. THOSE GAMES ALSO FIT HERE.

11. Five of your favorite video games

This is one I kinda go back and forth on. For the longest time I had a top 5 pretty much well-established, for at least five or so years. That was:

5. Portal
4. Cave Story
3. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
2. Super Mario Sunshine
1. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Other games like The Walking Dead: Season One, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Rayman 2: The Great Escape, Pokemon Gold/Silver, and Okami have kinda hung around in that top 10 range but outside the top 5, among others. And then I had the stretch of games the last two years with the Danganronpa and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney series and Shovel Knight and it's kind of created a mess that I don't really know how to properly rank. At the same time, I feel bad because I haven't played through either Prime 2 or Sunshine in YEARS compared to the other games, so my memories of those games (especially Prime 2) are a little skewed. So if I had to rank my top 5 NOW, I would have to go with:

5. Portal
4. Cave Story
3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
2. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
1. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

It changes pretty regularly now, though. It's super tough to stay consistent.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
3. Kirby Star Allies
4. Yoshi's Woolly World
5. Super Mario Odyssey

I'm also getting into Galaxy 1, and it may very well find a spot on this list soon enough.

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Kirby's Return to DreamLand
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
5. (If fangames count, then Fire Emblem: Immortal Sword. Haven't played official FEs sadly.)
If they don't, then New Super Mario Bros Wii.

1 ) Metroid Prime
2 ) Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
2.5 ) 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
3 ) Sonic Generations
4 ) Yoshi's Woolly World
5 ) Xenoblade Chronicles X

I put in 999 as 2.5 because I still don't know if visual novels really fall into this category. I know it has a few game parts but they're so short and easy compared to the 95% of the game being dialogue, the best part about those 'gameplay' sequences is that they're just more dialogue masked as a puzzle. So you can add or remove that depending on what your take on it is.

-Super Smash Bros Ultimate
-The Legend Of Zelda Breath Of The Wild
-Super Mario Odyssey
-Epic Mickey
-Super Mario Galaxy

Alexander Hamilton said:
Onwards, to day 8, for some more underappreciated works: A game that not enough people talk about!
I wanna say "Okami," but i feel like that game is talked a bit about its just there's about 10 people who've played it. Instead i'm gonna go with Bravely Second because i feel it got criminally less attention than it's predeccesor Bravely Default. It honestly doesn't too much the original didn't do however I-actually i'm just gonna re-post me from 2016 because i've already typed out thoughts on this before and don't really need to do it again.

Shygul said:
completed this last night. didn't really go into this game expecting much. Default was alright but it had some pretty annoying flaws (namely the second half of the game was incredibly tedious and dungeons in general felt rather redundant. Bravely Second, however, was significantly better. dungeons were prettier and had more interesting designs. the second half of the game does NOT require doing the same exact dungeons and bosses four or five fricken times in a row. Side quests were also much more engaging since you had to make choices at the end of them which affected the side-stories as well as which bosses you fight/asterisks you gain. also the main story grabbed my attention more than Default's. character's were about the same, which is fine imo since Default's characters were also good. I know some people tend see the Tiz/Agnes/Edea as bland, but personally I find their subtle and more realistic personalities to be a good change of pace from "check out mah gimmick/personality that stands out more than Camilla's boobs"

gameplay-wise I also enjoyed it more than Default. movement on the world map felt faster and more fluid. new jobs were sexy, particularly the excortionist(sp?) with dat gradual MP recovery ability. having all five support ability slots available from the start was super convenient. I also like how you can now see all of a jobs abilities and support abilities without actually having to use said job. that way you can educatedly decide ahead of time what jobs you want to put work into and level up. the addition of consecutive 1-turn win battles made grinding a hell of alot better as well. despite those improvements, I was dissapointed that the SP system is the same crap it was in Default. having to either do microtransactions or put your 3DS in sleep mode for extended amounts of time in order to use a flippin move is very stupid. SP drinks should've just been an expensive in-game item

I found the main story in general to be quite gr8. Denys and his soldiers actually had good reasons for their actions. Wanting to go back in time and kill the head of the head of the Crystalguard in order to prevent the bad actions of the Crystalguard was a noble cause. hell, if it wouldn't wipe out the existing present world in the process, i'd have actually been for it. The imperial asterisk holders all had nice personal motivations for following Denys as well, which was good.

Altair and Vega were a swell couple. hearing about their romance, their separation, and seeing their reunion with each other was pretty sweet. plus it didn't feel forced since their romance was actually completely relevant to the main plot. Yew X Magnolia felt unnecessary though at least they were a funny/nice couple. Tiz X Agnes wasn't really that spectacular of ship however their relationship did add emotion to the game (especially during the scene whe Tiz went back into a coma and when Agnes came running down Norende Ravine to revive him) and THEY FINALLY DECIDED TO GET MARRIED so yay for them. rip my fanon Yew X Tiz ship though

The end of the game easily had the best fourth wall breaking i've ever encountered. I legit freaked when Providence acknowledged my existence and took control of the game and started forcing the deletion of all save files. in fact I actually stopped playing and consulted an online guide to see if had done something wrong or to see if there was anything I could do about it lol. then the part where Yew halted Providence's crap and the cutscene that followed was so strong and emotional that it made me cry some. definitely one of if not my absolute favorite gaming experience(s)

lastly, that tidbit after the credits implies that another installment in the series, even though it was ambiguous. AR movie also seems like it might be hinting towards another game as well. maybe it'll officially get announced at E3 or sometime later on this year. either way BRAVELY THIRD HYPE

in conclusion, it was a good experience imo and imo anyone who's into JRPGs, liked Default, or even thought Default was just an alright game should totes play Bravely Second

Alexander Hamilton said:
But that's okay, because it's time to pull on the nostalgia heart-strings again! Your challenge today: Your favorite game as a kid!
Super Mario Bros. 3. I cannot count the amount of time i've beaten it. for me it was the first REALLY fun game i played. and beating it the first time and subsequent times felt like a huge accomplishment and like i'd actually been on a grand adventure. granted this was in part due to the fact i always had to beat it one sitting since my mom wouldn't let me leave the NES running when i was a kid lol, subsequently making the game feel longer than it actually is. and honestly i still don't mind doing a runthough every couple years or so because man what a blast.

Alexander Hamilton said:
Time for a really fun one! Your challenge today: Your favorite villain!
Monokuma from the danganronpa series. an absolutely repulsive dick who has zero issue with murder but somehow still manages to be hilarious and somewhat likeable. hell stuff like Monokuma theater even makes him a rather thought provoking villain. i've spent many a night wondering if a sunday cartoon artist is indeed smarter than a graphic novel writer, or am i really ok with my life being a cardboard cutout, or what exactly was the point of the monokubs. he's also super adorbs and has the catchiest villain theme song in existence, paws down.

Alexander Hamilton said:
We got another fiver! Your challenge today: Five of your favorite video games!

1. Fire Emblem: Awakening
2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4. Bravely Second
5. one of the danganronpa games picking one over the other is too hard

• Metroid Prime
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl

1. Mario Party 7
2. Perfect Dark
3. Ever Oasis
4. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
5. Banjo Kazooie

there was an old top 10 list I made in 2016, and while I definitely still like all the games on it, it's changed at least somewhat by now. this is my most recent one i.e. the one i made up on the spot just now:

• Paper Mario
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • Metroid Prime
  • Devil May Cry 3

see, i think both this list and the old list are somewhat affected by recency bias. but I HAVE been playing a shitload of dmc3 and theres something about it that always drags me back to it, and i'm not sure that's gonna stop until i beat all the modes; it's refreshing since I haven't really found a game that's sucked me in this consistently (besides easily replayable roguelikes) for a while

hard list to quantify overall since there's so many other games that i'd put near here, like botw, sm64/sms, banjo-kazooie/tooie, luigi's mansion, portal, etc.

1) Super Mario Odyssey
2) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
3) Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
4) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
5) Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

5)Smash Bros 3DS
4)Yoshi’s Woolly World(both Wii U and 3DS versions)
3)Pokémon Let’s go Pikachu/Eevee
2)Super Mario Odyssey
1) Kirby Star Allies

These games are not necessarily what you would call a "Top 5", because I don't have a definite top 5 favourite games. Instead, these are games that I considered favourites based on what I think.

1) Splatoon 2

It's basically between Splatoon and Splatoon 2 for this one, but I picked the sequel because it looks like it is going to have a long life thanks to being a launch title. I don't feel that I am the best Splatoon player since I can't always aim like the pros, but I love the team aspect of this game, since it allows one to support their team mates or perhaps I might even be the one carrying them. It's practically the first shooter game that I have a serious investment in.

2) Wario's Woods

The title doesn't seem like much, but when I learned about the game due to the tutorial section, I felt that this is a very unique puzzler that unfortunately didn't get iterations to improve the formula further. While it can feel clunky since you are basically controlling a character in an arena, it is nonetheless rewarding to play. Oh, and I am more referring to the SNES version, which is the superior version that unfortunately doesn't get talked about very often.

3) Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary

SEGA's got a thing going with the Puyo Puyo games when they released the 15th Anniversary game, which has a lot of gameplay modes and story sequence for every character. This has improved in the subsequent games 20th Anniversary and Chronicles. In my book, 20th Anniversary is the better game because it perfected the formula set in 15th Anniversary. The Chronicles game has 3D models that are fully animated, which is nice also. The fact that these games can allow the player to battle against CPUs is very much welcomed.

Unfortunately I can't pick Puyo Puyo Tetris as the definitive Puyo Puyo game because it lacks Fever mode, which I am more taken to compared to the standard (Tsu) mode, despite the fact that it has Tetris as its hook (and gateway for those outside Japan).

4) Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call

Even though I have a number of 3DS games, this is the game I keep coming back to, by virtue of being a very intuitive rhythm game. Its controls are simple and the sheer number of music tracks are the best things with these games, plus there's also the dozens of Final Fantasy characters over the games. I do wish more Final Fantasy games are represented, since I felt that some were underrated, such as the Tactics Advance games (Tactics did get 2 characters).

5) Bookworm Adventures

This neat little game combines word formation using a collection of letters (think Scrabble) with RPG battles, and the end result is a game that felt very engaging to play. I love this setup because it puts my word power to use, although I do sometimes use a word solver to get through some tough spots. It is also a very rewarding game to play because better words reward with greater tiles, and overkilling the enemies is highly encouraged. This word battle game just can't be topped, as Letter Quest felt way too unexciting for my liking.

Thank you for reading.

For day 12, is it ok if I do both a series and a game I’ve never been interested in?

1. Grand Theft Auto V
2. Left 4 Dead 2
3. Garry's Mod
4. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
5. Spore: Galactic Adventures

Re: 20 Day Videogame Challenge - Day 12: Game/series you've never been interested in

Toadettefan14 said:
For day 12, is it ok if I do both a series and a game I’ve never been interested in?

Absolutely! You can do one or both.

So with that, onto Day 12! Your challenge: A game and/or series that you have never been interested in!

Re: 20 Day Videogame Challenge - Day 12: Game/series you've never been interested in

So I'm going for Pikmin here. Out of all Nintendo series, it's the one I don't feel like it would be nice to try it out.

That's pretty much it.

Back