20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 20: A game that truly scared you

Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 9: Favorite villain

Time for a really fun one! Your challenge today: Your favorite villain!

Bowser. But only in the RPGs; they really did a good job of fleshing out his character in BIS. Same for Fawful, who is a favorite of mine as well.

Dr. Eggman, like I said last year. He's just a super entertaining villain, with amusing lines and being an over-the-top villain who wants to talk over the world with robots. He never fails to amuse me every time he opens his mouth.

2023903-830px_6._dr._eggman.png

What's not to like about him, seriously?

Mine would definitely be pre-2008 King Dedede. I say pre-2008 because he gave up his grudge against Kirby after Kirby Super Star Ultra, but during his villainous days, he was definitely a great one. I also appreciate that the rivalry between Kirby and Dedede is one of the few rivalries in the history of gaming that has actually been settled.

However, Bowser is definitely a close runner-up. He's such a cool guy and is just the perfect representative of villains in general.

Tom Nook and the copious mountains of unpaid debt.

~ Our beloved Koopa King and current president of Nintendo of America :bowser:
~ Pretty much every MaRPG Villian
~ Count Cannoli
~ Wilfre
~ Ganondorf, Ghirahim, Zant, Majora and Uncle Rupee
~ The SA-X
~ Marx and Magolor (Pre-redemption)
~ Hades (Kid Icarus Uprising)
~ DJ Octavio and Commander Tartar
~ Dr. Eggman

I'd say Bowser, but he's not so much a villain nowadays. Yeah, he still captures Peach and terrorizes towns on occasion, but he also goes go-karting and enjoys partying with the same princess he kidnaps.

Going with Ganondorf, the dude is actually evil. Hades and Ridley are close behind.

Villains are some of the best character archetypes for me. It's so fascinating to know of their intentions, and how varied one's personality can be. Personally, I prefer the mentally unstable ones because of how unpredictable one of those gets at times.

That said, Bowser AND Ganondorf. Bowser has the intimidation of a villain, and just like with Link, I love his silly moments.

Ganondorf has the part of the evil that Bowser lacks, so they complement each other.

People would be surprised if I didn't mention Black Knight, but thing is, to me he's not really a villain for several reasons... that I won't be citing here because I'm too lazy.

In terms of despicableness:

Dahlia Hawthorne. Appears sweet on the outside, but, using that to her advantage, is actually a selfish, heartless, manipulative b*tch who, let's see... forced her father to abandon her twin sister, murdered her own stepsister, drove a former "lover" to kill himself, poisoned an attorney into a five-year coma (indirectly causing Mia's death), murders a student after nearly poisoning the main protagonist, ultimately leading to her death sentence, but even from beyond the grave, she tried to kill the sister of the attorney who convicted her out of revenge.

For sheer likeability, though, probably Hades from Kid Icarus: Uprising.

I see somebody has already posted the villain I wanted to post. So who is it? Dr. Eggman!

Doctor.Eggman.600.2224417.jpg

The reason I like this doctor is due to how amusing his character design and character is all-around. For example, his body may be round, but his limbs are pretty thin. He is also able to run comically fast when he's threatened which is something I found very funny. His name is also very funny and I prefer it over Robotnik. Not to mention he has the best lines of the Sonic characters, and if he has comical sidekicks it's even better. There is a sense of fun in him, since his machines are colourful and cute, especially his Egg Pawns. Even the Death Egg is fun because while it's imposing, putting his face on the spherical ship is brilliant. Many versions of Eggman/Robotnik qualify in my book, namely AoStH Robotnik and Boom Eggman. Pretty much the only version I dislike is the SatAM version because he is far removed from everything I enjoyed about the Eggman I love.

I daresay that the main villain is one of the things Sonic has over Mario, since I am impartial to Bowser.

Thank you for reading.

Roll and Maria Renard said:
Road Rash

It used to be my childhood game. I used to play these on my PCs a lot.

Omgsh yes this is the correct answer. I had it on N64.

I tend to like the villains that aren't really 'evil' but just following their own beliefs/goals or have valid reasons for their actions, but most of the time they just end up joining your side at some point in the game and become heroes so they don't really count. (e.g Kratos Aurion from Tales of Symphonia, Crow Armbrust from Trails of Cold Steel, Hilda from Stella Glow)

I think I like Malos from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as a villain a lot, his innate desire to hate everything was imprinted on him from the start and he has a crisis about whether his goal of destroying everything is even his own. I like villains like Goetia in Fate/Grand Order that just have a completely inhuman morality but their goals are ultimately driven by a desire to improve mankind's situation, but cannot comprehend the perspective of a mortal life even when it tries with Mash.

Three: Ganondorf, Eggman and Bowser.

250px-OoT3D_Ganondorf_Artwork.png

Ganondorf is cool, as he's the most powerful of these three villains. He looks gorgeous, especially with his Hyrule Warriors design, and he's a pretty creative character.

latest

Dr. Eggman (a.k.a. Dr. Robotnik) is not that strong, but he's the smartest villain here. He can also be hilarious time to time, and he's the source of several memes (you know what I'm talking about).

1*x2Gw1gKrRQi5WEcBrKYA1g.png

And of course, the Kappa himself! He's my favourite of the bunch, as he's really cool and is iconic. He's strong and he rebuilds his castle everytime some fat Italian destroys it. Plus, he's my fifthain in Smash, so he's my favourite villain.

Today's pick will be one that I've always had a soft spot for since my childhood, but I grew to like him even more as I got older.

King_K._Rool_SSBU.png

I think King K. Rool is my favorite villain because of his simple, yet very great design, his personality and his difficult but awesome boss fights.

The gold belly armor combined with his wristbands, crown and cape gives him quite a royal look, but his alter ego outfits from DKC2 and 3 as well as DK64 are also great. Of course, his bulging eye combined with his mouthful of sharp teeth also gives him a pretty unsettling evil grin on his face even when he's not trying to make one.

His name of K. Rool is not only a pun of his cruel personality towards the Kongs, but also towards his own Kremling army. During the events of DK64, he sends Klaptraps to keep an eye on his already overworked Kritters attempting to fix his Blast-o-Matic, and later on during the game, he also executes a Kasplat that tried to escape and insulted him (though he did not know that K. Rool was listening through the walls) by releasing a giant Klaptrap. Even Klubba states in DKC2 to the Kongs that "Kap'n K. Rool treats us rotten. I hope yer scupper his plans!". And even considering his cruelty, he still can be quite comical, as seen in one cutscene in DK64, he claims that he's surrounded by fools, complete with a facepalm or in DKC2, when he has an "Oh crap!" look on his face when you throw a Kannonball into his blunderbuss.

Although he might look unintelligent, his plans to defeat the Kongs in the original DKC trilogy and DK64 escalated more and more with each game, showing that he is quite intelligent and learns from his mistakes.
DKC: Stealing the Kongs banana hoard in hopes of starving them to death.
DKC2: Captures DK and holds him hostage in exchange for their banana hoard.
DKC3: Captures DK and Diddy and uses them to power his KAOS robot that will lead his new army of Kremlings.
DK64: Builds a giant laser cannon inside his naval fortress that is capable of destroying DK Island. Oh, your ship crashed because of the incompetence of your crew and the Blast-o-Matic is now damaged? Kidnap as many Kongs as you can and steal DK's banana hoard in order to buy yourself as much time as possible.

As a small side note, I'd also like to point out that in his SSBU reveal trailer, he simply ignores elaborate setups and confronts the Kongs at their home turf.

Outside of his roles as a boss in the DK games, he's also incredibly fun to play as in games were he is playable, such as Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, Mario Super Sluggers and of course, Super Smash Bros Ultimate. One neat touch that I like is his apparent dislike of Bowser, as they share bad chemistry in Mario Super Sluggers, and if I were to judge this, its because K. Rool likes to see himself as the supreme ruler of all evil.

I suppose that's all I can say about King K. Rool atm, and I sincerely hope that he'll return in a future DKC game and/or appears in another Mario spin-off like Mario Kart following his long-awaited inclusion in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik is my favorite.

Lyon from sacred stones, i guess. I can't really call him the best written or most unique villain of all time but his plotline is consistently interesting enough on replays and as well as enough of a tug at the heartstrings. Even if sacred stones is simplistic at points i think lyon's story is done p well

After getting into dmc last year I'm also pretty fond of Vergil, but I'm hesitant to call him a proper villain. For different reasons, I also really like Bowser but have trouble thinking of him as a full villain anymore. It's always stuff like PM that comes to mind over his recent appearances when i want to call him that, and even then theres some (enjoyable) goofiness to him

Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 10: Favorite game as a kid

I ALMOST FORGOT TO UPDATE THE THREAD

But that's okay, because it's time to pull on the nostalgia heart-strings again! Your challenge today: Your favorite game as a kid!

Chip's Challenge

Windows-chips-challenge.png

This was a game that came with the old Windows 3.1, and while there were a lot of fun games alongside it like Jill of the Jungle and Snoopy's Game Club, Chip's Challenge was especially fun because it was also a game where everything in-game look fun and colourful, plus you control an on-screen character, and its use of those elements appealed to me. This is one of the games that made me a puzzle fan, you can say. It should be noted that the version I played was the Windows version, which plays differently from the original Lynx version, but since it's the most widely distributed version, you can guess which version I played.

Later on I played Tile World (a fan game) because I was curious on the Lynx version's physics, and the differences are interesting. It needs to be noted that the long-lost sequel that finally got released on Steam uses Lynx's physics, which makes it more faithful to the original, though it does feel like unfamiliar ground to those who played the Windows version only. I did finish the sequel which has a balance of large levels and small levels, plus new elements to spice up the original, but I would never be able to finish a lot of the first game's levels because a lot of them felt tedious to go through since you start all over again at death.

Team Kirby said:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii...man, my nostalgia for that game is so strong.
I feel old knowing that this game is somebody's childhood game.

Thank you for reading.

Diddy Kong Racing, I played it a lot as a kid when all I had was my brothers N64 that he didn't want anymore. I considered going with Mario Tennis instead but I think I generally played DKR a lot more. Mario Party 3 was good too.

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga practically never left the GBA slot on my old DS lite.

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, tied with another I already mentioned, Spyro: A Hero's Tail. I got Warped before it and I didn't have Crash 1, but I always preferred Crash 2 for its levels and music and because it didn't have a lot of the vehicle levels which I never really liked.

I'm gonna have to go with YFJ on this one: NSMBWii was definitely my favorite as a kid. I spent hours trying to collect Star Coins.

So yeah, my favorite game of all time is Super Mario Galaxy, right?

Well the sequel was my favorite one as a kid. I seriously reconsidered that after revisiting those two games a few years ago.

Back