Your pet peeves in the Mario series

My OCD senses are tingling.

You know what irritates me more? That some renderers treat the white circle part in Mario's eyes as a literal highlight when it's clear it's not a highlight but actually a white spot in Mario's eyes. So if the light isn't shining right, Mario's eyes end up looking blank. I'm not sure what we call that white dot, but it's not a pupil when the black part of the eye is already the pupil.

He's admiring his 3D schnoz of course. Duh.

Mario looked better when his irises were thinner and cleaner-looking

282px-Marioptds.png
Mario_art15.png

Same with Luigi, but these two are too busy boogieing to care.

235px-Luigi_Artwork_%28alt%29_-_New_Super_Mario_Bros.png
241px-Luigi_MP10.png

People calling Goomba, Koopa, Dry Bones, Piranha Plant, Boo et al a "he" is a pet peeve of mine, but I do have headcanons for more diverse array of genders.

Star-Lord said:
In the above images, the Brothers :mario: :luigi: look better with their darker coloring.
I don't think it's realistic though. I think when textures and materials have improved (the most noticeable thing; previous renders do not have normal mapping), so did the lighting algorithms. Light comes from everywhere and bounces off every surface, and shadows themselves have color, so I don't think the shadows should be that pronounced or dark.

13-Amp said:
i personality like the new art better, especially the embroidery on the hats :3
I overall like the new art for more detail and better shadows, it's just the eyes I find easier to read on the older art, and I figure that's just a consequence of me growing up on older art and being accustomed to those eye proportions.

When people treat Mr L and Luigi Prime as the same person. Paper Mario is clearly in it's own universe and outside of Paper Jam the most blatant example of this is Luigi's personality being completely different in both franchises. Paper Luigi is laid back and a wee bit egotistical, he wants to go on adventures with Mario but is never allowed, he's quite confident, has his own fans and primarily does his own thing meanwhile Luigi Prime is Clumsy though well meaning, he doesn't want to go on life threatening adventures but he always either is forced to by circumstance or because he feels it's his moral obligation to do so, he's not confident in his abilities at all and neither are those around him and he's always by Mario's side.

TLD;R Paper Luigi is an eccentric wannabe adventurer and Luigi Prime is a cowardly everyman (Both are great Though)

You know you don't have to call him "Luigi prime"

I thought the different personalities of M&L Luigi and Paper Luigi could have made for some interesting dialogue in Paper Jam.

mine is when nintendo insists mario has a personality.
either give him one or stop trying

But Mario does have a personality? It's not developed, yes, but Mario has never been much of a character-driven series. His competition isn't that stiff. Yeah, Nintendo maybe pretends he has enough personality and keep making him as dumb as a brick and that's a problem, but I disagree if you think he has no personality, implied from the post.

This goes beyond pet peeve but Mario on drugs jokes aren't funny. Anybody who makes them is a hack with comedy.

But Mario does have a personality? It's not developed, yes, but Mario has never been much of a character-driven series. His competition isn't that stiff. Yeah, Nintendo maybe pretends he has enough personality and keep making him as dumb as a brick and that's a problem, but I disagree if you think he has no personality, implied from the post.

Mario isn't dumb, he's just a bit stubborn.

mine is when nintendo insists mario has a personality.
either give him one or stop trying

I personally can see Mario's personality. It's not as extravagant as Luigi's, sure, but it's still there. Like, a small detail I always notice is Mario always has more of an angrier expression compared to Luigi. (Best seen with the M&L series) The true empty character is Peach.

Oh and I got one: I hate dumb Mario shippings. We've got Luigi x Wario, Luigi x Bowser, Mario x Dr. Mario, Dr. Mario x Mr. L, Mr. L x Luigi, ect.
I lied another one is making Luigi gay. I understand where it's coming from but I personally dislike it. Because once we make him gay we're not gonna stop there nono he needs to want to be a GIRLLL. OML I'm triggering myself...

Mario isn't dumb, he's just a bit stubborn.

Stubborn is so negative, how about hard willed.

From what I see, Mario's personality mainly revolves around positive qualities rather than flawed ones (examples: Luigi has fear, Wario has greed and Waluigi has jealousy), and I guess people consider positive traits as bland?

In case you don't know how Nintendo outlined Mario's personality, here's a reference from a 1993 guidebook. Although it has been many years since, the fact that nothing in the recent years contradicted the information below shows that Mario's personality is more or less consistent.

BuSN1iXIMAABZSG.jpg

Thank you for reading.

This goes beyond pet peeve but Mario on drugs jokes aren't funny. Anybody who makes them is a hack with comedy.

they're done a million times and they're done by people who only glanced at the mario series once and though "lol mushrooms = drugs lol i'm smart and original"

god me too i will destroy shallow mario jokes like this with my bare hands. i could whine about them forever
unknown.png

When people use Paper Mario artwork in completely unrelated memes, or in anything where they just want to reference the Mario series in general and probably don't even know about the Paper Mario series.

it being Paper Mario doesn't change anything, you should be more concerned over the quality and originality of these jokes

I do understand though seeing someone say something, be it positive or negative, about a series they know nothing about.

Back