Your pet peeves in the Mario series

No you can't. That's nonsense.

I mean honestly there's very few characters I can be bothered to care about nowadays but they still exist.

Mario has nothing going for him.

He goes for himself and Luigi.

Well toddlers are still babies per se. And it just rolls off the tongue better to say "baby" than "toddler".

From what I see, Mario's personality mainly revolves around positive qualities rather than flawed ones (examples: Luigi has fear, Wario has greed and Waluigi has jealousy), and I guess people consider positive traits as bland?

In case you don't know how Nintendo outlined Mario's personality, here's a reference from a 1993 guidebook. Although it has been many years since, the fact that nothing in the recent years contradicted the information below shows that Mario's personality is more or less consistent.

BuSN1iXIMAABZSG.jpg

Thank you for reading.

This is accurate! To add to this, I believe the character archetype they use for Mario is called the "positive flat character". Mario's personality never really changes or "develops", because he's already got an ideal set of morals and is portrayed as a good person with only minor flaws (ex. being a bit on the chubby side). He doesn't need to change, and there'd be no use trying to get him to turn evil or simply to do a bad thing. Rather, the purpose of Mario's character would be to influence the world around him with his good nature, changing it for the better rather than the world changing him. A key example I can think of off the top of my head is Koops. In the beginning, he's incredibly timid and unsure of himself, which only got worse when his father Koopley was seemingly killed by Hooktail. Once Mario comes along, Koops joins him after learning he plans to take down Hooktail, wanting to become stronger not just for himself, but for his girlfriend, Koopie Koo. And in doing so, he gets to reunite with his father once Hooktail is done in, and by the end of the game, Koops does indeed become more self-confident and is a much happier person, thanks to Mario having influenced him in a positive way.

Wario may be greedy but he is happy with it, while Luigi and Waluigi are not happy with their flaws. That is still a positive for Wario on the emotional intelligence spectrum.

Accepting you're greedy is one thing, but allowing yourself to harm others is another. Arrogance isn't a sign of emotional intelligence; quite the opposite actually.

Mario's physical appearance not being idealized might be a flaw, but that adds to the character rather than detracts from it.

thats a flaw?
In a general sense, yes. But it's not like Mario's morbidly obese either. Most of Mario's perceived flaws deal with his physical appearance, the others being having a big nose and being short. But even then, sure doesn't stop a few female characters from having a crush on him.😅 Plus his design is iconic, so I don't see his physical traits as a problem personally.

My only problem with that outline of Mario's character is that it says he bashes blocks with his head, which isn't true.

My only problem with that outline of Mario's character is that it says he bashes blocks with his head, which isn't true.
Yeah, he's actually punching the blocks to get what's inside of them, hence why Mario jumps the way he does. His arms are so short though that they barely go past his head, making it SEEM like he's using his head to bash them.

Back