Super Mario Maker 2

They listen to shareholders first, money second, fans third (if not last).

TFW you not only have bad internet AND you have no friends so you don't care much if online sucks.
Don't take that as me saying it's justified though, just make online with friends not apply your scores to leaderboards and badda-bing badda-boom it's fixed.

Apparently, people have been talking trash about Super Mario Maker 2 having no amiibo support, and no online multiplayer with friends. It's important to remember that copyright can be a big road block when it comes to Costume Mario options, which can likely explain why the Mystery Mushroom got the boot.

As for online multiplayer, not being able to play with friends becomes irrelevant when you consider that a majority of courses may only be suited for a single player.

It seems like to me that they're just phasing out amiibo in general. If you notice the general trend, amiibo support for games have dried up, there are far less announcements for amiibo, and brick and mortar stores don't even have amiibo sections any more. I think that's kind of a shame, as I've always liked the little figures for the nerd appeal and always look great on the desk, but toys-to-life is so out now.

I don't see how a paucity of majority of courses being designed for single player would be reason to completely throw out online multiplayer options, and there's that unsupported premise that multiplayer doesn't matter/is "irrelevant" because most levels are single player. Why have multiplayer in the first place!? Mind you, there is *still* online multiplayer, it's just that you can't play with your friends, and playing with your friends was a major selling point of the game, given the promotions of people having fun together, the Switch being a family console, and the cute art of characters building shit together. Doing that sort of shit, self-sabotaging your own features for ridiculous reasons (and I can't think of any other reasons beyond laziness) absolutely defeats the purpose of a new feature of this game.

But hey guys, LOCAL PLAY is supported so that's cool, and that's great! But that's not worth commending over as it shouldn't be a feature people have to worry about.

OK, actual gameplay footage is starting to arrive, as there was some demo event people want to today:

https://youtu.be/cnRlWSBWx6A
https://youtu.be/vHhQCvwi8-0

and several more.

Apparently the NSMBU sun keeps that same static look even when moving. :rolleyes:

Other highlights are the surprise moves of Meowser (like coming at you from the backgrounds).

So apparently Meowser replaces Bowser in 3DW style (you can't place regular Bowser in that style). Slightly disappointing that you can't have a traditional Bowser battle in a 3DW level but hey Meowser's moveset is dope. I've seen P-switches that attach to the ceiling too, and you can change the music to Super Mario Kart, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine or Super Mario Galaxy music which is just awesome.

I'm a bit bummed about the lack of costumes as I never saw the amiibo tie-in as their main appeal anyway (what with the ability to unlock them without amiibo and the existence of costumes that don't correspond to amiibo) so they could've worked perfectly fine as a mechanic independent of amiibo. But overall holy shit the wait for this game is just gonna drag slower and slower the more awesome things they show lol.

Well, this might be nice for people. You can put some music in the levels if you really want to. It's a limited selection from what we have, so I hope they'll give us more.

https://twitter.com/bestofsmm2/status/1133385791034601472?s=21

Just when I thought they were done spamming my poor eardrums with Gusty Garbage.

i dont really care about the removal of amiibo but getting rid of costumes period has killed my desire to play this game a bit

You're far from the only one. Part of the appeal of the game was to use a lot of zany characters and even design levels around them. It feels like an utter waste that they seemed to push it so hard and got silly results like Hello Kitty, Shaun the Sheep, and Super Mario-Kun Mario but were ultimately abandoned in a sequel on a console with a far bigger install base.

Again, copyright is the main issue with trying to bring back all the Mystery Mushroom costumes from the first Super Mario Maker.

With that said, I have heard that using the Course Editor while the Nintendo Switch is docked can be very tricky (far less convenient, since you'll be lacking the Wii U GamePad this time).

MnSG said:
With that said, I have heard that using the Course Editor while the Nintendo Switch is docked can be very tricky (far less convenient, since you'll be lacking the Wii U GamePad this time).

I'm sure it's easy to get used to. The people previewing it only had ten or thirty minutes to play and couldn't get used to them that quick.

The "Boo!" feature is an invisible feature in the game. I guess it counts to a hidden score your course gets, but I don't understand why they even implement such a thing in the first place? It's like YouTube removing the dislike bar, but that didn't last forever.

It's more like when you dislike a comment on YouTube nowadays, it does nothing to the comment, like what's the the point of the dislike button if it does nothing?

Online with friends is finally coming...

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1138532590384701440

It's weird to think that Nintendo was going to release the game and not allow you to connect with friends on a paying service. (Well, they still are until this is patched.) At least with the patch it will make the multiplayer better.

good that it's coming, though there's no reason it should be a post-launch thing, should be in the game to begin with

Ray Trace said:
good that it's coming, though there's no reason it should be a post-launch thing, should be in the game to begin with

I do recall that some software titles do receive updates, even before they're officially released; CTR: Nitro-Fueled is a notable example.

LudwigVon said:
Online with friends is finally coming...

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1138532590384701440

Wait, really? Hell yeah! This also means that it's not impossible for them to make the other multi-player characters player in single mode later down the line (assuming they truly are locked to multiplayer for the time being)

If only the maximum length of horizontal sections can be longer than 10 screen lengths. But of course, there has to be limits for what you can implement onto your courses.

Crisis averted, the other characters are available in single player[youtube]https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/258608-super-mario-maker-2/77719317[/youtube]

that's good, great that we could be toadette

Back