Super Mario Maker 2

Incredible way to open the direct and a total must-purchase for me. Dunno what kind of whimsy was unearthed from within me when they showed the chain blocks, clear pipes, ! Blocks, MOVING CAMERA, and slopes but damn did it excite the shit out of me.

I can't wait to spend hours making levels again

Funny how there's a 3D World style, but no Galaxy style. Galaxy even had 2.5 levels so it's not an impossibility to make.

PSA: The only stuff we know about the game is just the launch trailer and promotional art, so don't automatically assume that this is the final build. They can still reveal lots of stuff for this game before June.

Baby Luigi said:
Funny how there's a 3D World style, but no Galaxy style. Galaxy even had 2.5 levels so it's not an impossibility to make.

It probably has to do with the fact that Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel never really utilized a time limit outside of Prankster Comets.

I'd imagine they'll put Luigi's white color scheme is the SMB1 set if they keep Mystery Mushrooms, the Blue Toad and normal Toadette didn't have any if I recall, only her Captain persona, if they add Peach playable, they can use her red hair sprite instead of the blonde one.

(re: time limit on Galaxy theme) They can always add that in and it wouldn't seem odd since there are a lot of features certain styles didn't have that got added for SMM. Though, maybe not for a full Galaxy theme but just a Galaxy feature in the 3D World theme (or all themes since I don't think it would be hard to program), I'd like gravity switches. Assuming the space for design has greatly increased (especially vertically) and more doors/subworlds are now possible, that's like the one thing that's needed for me to (reasonably) faithfully make every SPM level I think, since Whoa Zone won't work without it.

...I forgot I joked about that very thing a few posts up. But I unironically want it :P

As for SMB1 sprites, ehhh I'll pass on that ugly af SMB1 Peach and instead opt for that as the mushroom costume and a less off-model sprite as the playable one (they can keep the red hair palette though)

its already at near the top of my wishlist lmao
i really hope theres a super mario bros 2 theme. but tbh i wont be surprised if it didnt happen
also theres gotta be a course theme that uses the athletic music. you cant jsut let it go to waste

What if Mario can steal the car as well, just like he can steal the Goomba's shoe and a clown car. That way we can have Mario Kart themed levels in more styles than just Mario 1 :D

Also echoing others and saying I hope they allow us to do NSMBU/Wii-style multiplayer with the multiple player characters. Being able to make Mario levels I can then play with other people at the same time would be *really* damn cool. Even if it only ends up being 2-players, that's strictly better than Mario Maker 1's 'pass the controller bro'-type deal

Edit: and no doubt the online will be totally paywalled but I'm okay with that, so long as they let us send levels to friends directly.

As farfetched as it may be, I'm hoping there's an option to remove the time limit. One can always dream.

EDIT: As for multiplayer, I hope they can implement it for all game styles, not just 3D World and NSMB.

Baby Luigi said:

Ohhhhhhhh...

PLEEEEEEAAAAASE NINTENDO!

Y-Bricks and Eddy said:
What's wrong with time limits? And if you don't like them, the timer is practically nonexistent at 500 seconds.
Even with Reggie's 990 time limit feels ridiculously short. But if we are to make long levels, maybe they should add checkpoints if they haven't already done so.

Kirby and Mario 3D World said:
MolDK said:
As farfetched as it may be, I'm hoping there's an option to remove the time limit. One can always dream.
What's wrong with time limits? And if you don't like them, the timer is practically nonexistent at 500 seconds.

As Koops said, sometimes you want to make such a big level that even 500 seconds is too short.

Depending on how long your course is, 500 seconds may not be enough to complete it without checkpoints. As such, it would be good if Super Mario Maker 2 allows you to set the timer up to a maximum of 999 seconds.

Who is excited for this game to come out? Just <math>3\frac{1}{2}</math> months until it is released for the Switch! I know I am!
I wish I had a switch myself and that slopes were in the original Mario Maker...

Y-Bricks and Eddy said:
Also what on earth did you cite my name as in the quoteblock? lol
I did promise the Word Swap extension would be abused...

Y-Bricks -> Y-Bricks
Eddy -> Eddy

My display name at the time of this post is Pario Marty X

Oh I also hope they get rid of that shaking nonsense.

I'd like to see a music switch option, imagine being able to play actually good music from the original New Super Mario Bros. instead of another reused song from Wii, or even play music from Super Bros. 2, Land 1/2, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1/2, or Odyssey on your stages.

They could also add the original New Super Mario Bros. as game theme, as that was actually original unlike New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Mario Bros. 2 reusing assets from New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

I totally don't want this because of nostalgia.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
What if Mario can steal the car as well, just like he can steal the Goomba's shoe and a clown car. That way we can have Mario Kart themed levels in more styles than just Mario 1 :D

it looks more like GTA Mario than a Mario Kart Mario tbh

Back