Super Mario Maker 2

Speaking of Boom Boom and Pom Pom, I wonder if they're going to include Boom Boom in the other game styles. I mean, he was in NSMBU and SMB3. And they made entirely new sprites for SMW Bowser last time, so why not Boom Boom (and potentially Pom Pom)?

MetaWeegee said:
  • Blue and Yellow Koopas. We have differently colored pipes and Yoshis now, so I really hope we get this too, and there's actually a chance I'll get this at long last.
  • Ice Flower. Seems like simple enough fanservice to me, and since they could use the Fire Flower as a base, seems like it'd be easy to add, and I don't think anybody would object to having it in every mode. Side note: The inclusion of the Fire Bro hints that MAYBE you can drag Fire Flowers onto certian enemies now. Sooo..... maybe if we get the Ice Flower... we could mayyybe drag it on Hammer Bros to get.... Ice Bros, the best bros? (I'm not getting my hopes up for that.)

Regarding colors of enemies, I really think they're going all in for a custom Mario game this time, meaning I'd be surprised if there wouldn't be more colors for Koopas. I can also see them adding Gloombas/underground Goombas. For some reason it felt really weird without them in SMM. As for Ice Flower, I can see that happening. (Also, how could you possibly like Ice Bros.? They're the main reason why I hate the 2D Mario games lol)

I really worry if there will be more playable characters. I mean Super Mario Run and 3D World got away with like 5 or 7 characters (excluding the other Yoshi colors). People would love the options to play as Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, and hell even Pauline. They have a lot of variety with their unique abilities. Daisy can make platforming a complete non issue with her double jump in the exact same way as Maria Renard's double jump in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood did. Same concept applies to Peach's floating in SMB2USA and Super Mario 3D World which allows people to correct their mistakes. I'd be excited to see Pauline playable too and would love to see what unique abilities she'd have.

level themes, more objects, less limits in general, and world map come first for me

not that i'm super excited but maybe nintendo will surprise me

edit: this is only the third time in this thread you talked about more playable characters but i feel i heard this a shit ton of times already

Team Kirby said:
Multiple playable characters would be a waste of resources if they didn't have unique abilities
well it didn't kill off mario kart or mario party...

LeftyGreenMario said:
Team Kirby said:
Multiple playable characters would be a waste of resources if they didn't have unique abilities
well it didn't kill off mario kart or mario party...
Mario Party wasn't nearly as ambitious as this (in fact, there was a time when Mario Party was just a series of yearly cash grabs), and in Mario Kart the characters at least had some differences, even if said differences were minor. But in a game like this, they should focus on more important things than model swaps.

character differences within weight classes are negligible to the point of meaninglessness in mario kart

i like more playable characters too, don't get me wrong but they need to actually put in more content; they lacked slopes the first time and now they're using it, pathetically, as a major selling point, but we'll see how many blasted games it'll take for them to even barely reach the level of the ones we already have

Team Kirby said:
Multiple playable characters would be a waste of resources if they didn't have unique abilities, and would utterly destroy the game if they did. Let's not.
Multiple playable characters are awesome. Peach is awesome to play as. I loved playing as her in Super Mario Bros. 2 USA, Super Mario 3D World, and even Super Mario Run. Her floating is awesome.

Same thing applies to Maria Renard in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and the other Castlevania games she's been in as a playable character. Maria Renard is awesome in Rondo of Blood because she can double jump and move and attack at the same time with her doves (unlike Richter Belmont with the traditional whip which attacks slowly, and his backflip). Her two slide abilities are great for getting around obstacles. She makes the game fun and enjoyable and makes it easily accessible. She's like the Easy Mode of the game in a way with her abilities. She's also very quick in her attacks and movement as she's twice as fast as Richter.

Multiple playable characters with unique abilities are why I love SMB2USA, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night (the Sega Saturn version where Maria Renard is playable which is one of the only three versions, the others being the PSP and PS4 versions), Super Mario 3D World, and Super Mario Run. They're not that bad. They have more variety. They won't break the game.

mmmhmm I know the lack of Luigi was really annoying in Super Mario Maker 1 and Luigi's Mystery Mushroom is such a waste, but Super Mario Maker 1 had worse problems than playable characters and the priorities are setting those problems straight in this one. And we have to worry if we can even share levels or play the things because of stinking paid online.

Welll... I wouldn't jump to say unique abilities destroy games. First, some powerups already broke games. Second, this is Super Mario Maker, whatever is going to be "destroyed" or not really boils down to the competence of the content creators.

Without heavy curation, it's going to be abject trash experience. They should've just made some legit difficult levels instead rather than relying on pranksters / brain-dead monkeys.

the only way i could see multiple characters with unique abilities working is if there was an option to lock a level to a specific character, i.e only mario allowed on this one, only luigi on that one, etc.. otherwise, if we got something like peach floating, it could very well end up cheesing a lot of tough but fair levels that people spent time on, and i for one wouldnt like something like that

That's also why I'm hesitant to support multiplayer co-op on the play side of things, it would destroy any level balanced around one player. Both of these things should definitely be toggled by the level creators and unavailable to players if the creator restricted them.

Lord Bowser said:
the only way i could see multiple characters with unique abilities working is if there was an option to lock a level to a specific character, i.e only mario allowed on this one, only luigi on that one, etc.. otherwise, if we got something like peach floating, it could very well end up cheesing a lot of tough but fair levels that people spent time on, and i for one wouldnt like something like that
good point. if you've ever watched speedruns of super mario bros. 2, even nintendo struggled to design levels luigi can't just jump over

Lord Bowser said:

Amen. I'd honestly rather have characters with abilities than multiplayer, cause we all know how chaotic 2D Mario multiplayer is.
Or maybe even have a specific mode online for multiplayer only levels. When uploading a level, the user can specify which character(s) can be used and if multiplayer is allowed and/or necessary.

I just got an idea.

Let's make battle levels. Many Marios drop into it and they kill each other with items or stomping.

That would be cool, as stupid as I may sound here.

Isabelle said:
I just got an idea.

Let's make battle levels. Many Marios drop into it and they kill each other with items or stomping.

So basically, Kirby Fighters: Mario Edition. That actually sounds pretty neat.

Yes but it has platforming.

You design it like a normal level, but the area has to be small, no pipes, or anything that takes you to a new setting (doors are allowed since you're still in the same area).

At some point, if the match drags on or is almost done, a star appears so whoever graps it can just OHKO the opponent.

Isabelle said:
I just got an idea.

honestly i'd think it'd be really cool to see the mario vs luigi mode from the og NSMB expanded upon in some future title. that shit was fuckin fun as hell

Shygul said:
Isabelle said:
I just got an idea.

honestly i'd think it'd be really cool to see the mario vs luigi mode from the og NSMB expanded upon in some future title. that *bleep* was *bleep*in fun as hell

The most fun I had with it is with my cousin at my Grandpa's funeral. Still pretty damn fun though.

I have really low expectations for this game lol, I don't see much of what we want happening. Battle levels do sound neat though.

Team Kirby said:

You have to realize playable characters are more than just game data values attached to them, correct? People would like a playable avatar of someone other than the default one to their personal preferences. It's one of the reasons the Mystery Mushroom is an extremely popular item with a lot of customization behind it, as well as why player models are very popular in games like Garry's Mod.

Hell, you modded Smash 4 mostly to have a model import mod of Bandana Dee in it, so let's not beat around the bush: characters are more than just their abilities. Aesthetics matters a lot to a person's experience.

Baby Luigi said:
Team Kirby said:

You have to realize playable characters are more than just game data values attached to them, correct? People would like a playable avatar of someone other than the default one to their personal preferences. It's one of the reasons the Mystery Mushroom is an extremely popular item with a lot of customization behind it, as well as why player models are very popular in games like Garry's Mod.

Hell, you modded Smash 4 mostly to have a model import mod of Bandana Dee in it, so let's not beat around the bush: characters are more than just their abilities. Aesthetics matters a lot to a person's experience.
I was just saying with that comment that playable characters shouldn't be their primary focus if they don't have abilities. A few playable characters are fine; I understand the demand for Luigi and Peach and Toad. But really, why do we need Toadette, or Daisy, or Rosalina? That's just going too far, unless you can find a way to make them unique (which wouldn't do too well with a game like this anyway). I understand the importance of aesthetics, but gameplay comes before anything else.

Back