New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - Switch Port Rumors

What the fuck is a Peachette?

I mean, we might get even more stuff alongside that, so maybe in the end it's gonna be worth buying for those who played the Wii U version.

Also the Peachette thing is both the weirdest and the most hilarious thing I've ever seen in a Mario game.

I don't know if I'm buying it, but... it looks like they might reveal some more things for us with time.

Honoka's #5 Fan said:
It was underpowered with a confusing name and gimmick. And It didn't have a lot of system sellers. Like it had good games but they weren't games that sold systems they were games you sell to people with systems.
Wellllll to be fair, the Wii was just an overclocked Gamecube and when it comes to "power", Nintendo is hardly ever on top. I blame it more on the sucky marketing (arguably the Xbox One had a worse name), bad timing, and a very poor launch line-up (which the 3DS also suffered from, but recovered as games came out). I still remember when the thing was announced when the Wii wasn't quiet dead yet and there was hardly any promotion about it.

Pizza Time! said:
Mario's Super Crown form will be Princess Mario from Mario Odyssey. LGM would be so proud.
Wedding Dress actually. But don't tease me like this, now, because now I want that.

I have a feeling that the Wii U would have sold at least as much as the GameCube if it was called "Wii 2" or "Wii HD". That way, it would still carry the Wii brand like Nintendo wanted, but more people would know it was a brand-new console.

Name isn't the only problem the Wii U faced and I doubt it would fix its problems if just the name got changed.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Name isn't the only problem the Wii U faced and I doubt it would fix its problems if just the name got changed.
That's why I said it would only sell as much as the GameCube. Nintendo still didn't convey properly what the GamePad was, it lacked in third-party games, and it was underpowered. Without those problems, the Wii U could have sold over 50 million units.

Thank god only Toadette can use the crown. Imagining Nabbit would be disturbing...

Toadgamer said:
Thank god only Toadette can use the crown. Imagining Nabbit would be disturbing...
This is actually unknown. It is possible that Mario, Luigi, or Toad could use the crown. But Nabbit can't use items; he only stores them in his sack and turns them into 1-Ups.

YFJ said:
Toadgamer said:
This is actually unknown. It is possible that Mario, Luigi, or Toad could use the crown. But Nabbit can't use items; he only stores them in his sack and turns them into 1-Ups.

Actually, if Nabbit grabs a crown, then it turns into a flower, an item that can only be used once in the whole game.

It turns you into Princess Blue Toad.

Toadgamer said:

Speaking of Nabbit, Nintendo really has to make him an unlockable character. There's no way he'll be available at start cuz we all know he can't take damage at all except when falling to a pit/lava. If he was available, I'd assume the game will be just an easy cakewalk they can finish in one gamethrough.

I can only hope that this is meant to hold us while they're hard at work creating a completely new incarnation of 2D Mario that has nothing to do with NSMB. The bar for Mario has been lifted hugely once again after Odyssey, and it's time to show that 2D Mario isn't creatively bankrupt.

I'm really irked by the fact that Peachette's eye texture literally seems to be a grayscale version of Peach's eye texture. It makes it look kind of lazy and off, like it was simply changed from full color to black-and-white in Paint.net or Photoshop in less than 3 minutes, using the hue tool. To be honest, I think they could have done better with the eyes.

Also, I feel like Yellow Toad should have been replaced instead of Blue Toad. I mean, Blue Toad seems to be much more notable, being the playable Toad in several more games (For Example: Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Bros 2) than Yellow Toad.

Welllll Blue Toad isn't the guy in the Mario Party 9 box art either.

ShroomZed said:
I can only hope that this is meant to hold us while they're hard at work creating a completely new incarnation of 2D Mario that has nothing to do with NSMB. The bar for Mario has been lifted hugely once again after Odyssey, and it's time to show that 2D Mario isn't creatively bankrupt.
Honestly, if you don't like the NSMB games, just ignore them. There are several people (including me) who think the NSMB series is great. Even if it's not heavy on creativity, 2D Mario is 2D Mario. People just need to live with that.

Ports are whatever, but I believe it's a valid reason to dislike New Super Mario Bros. games as they take a little too much resources (compared to a port) for essentially, what, the 3rd retread, when those resources can be used toward better level design or more experimenting. We got Super Mario Odyssey amid the complaints surrounding 3D World/3D Land "rehashyness", so people do want a more imaginative 2D Mario.

I don't think the colored Toads should be replaced at all. Just make him an option for Yellow Toad. Hell, their models are intertwined with each other (they share the exact model file), all they need is a few adjustments to the code and presto, you can play as a Blue Toad if you wanna instead of a Yellow Toad.

YFJ said:
ShroomZed said:
Honestly, if you don't like the NSMB games, just ignore them. There are several people (including me) who think the NSMB series is great. Even if it's not heavy on creativity, 2D Mario is 2D Mario. People just need to live with that.
There was nothing in my post that indicated I have any strong dislike for the NSMB games. It is a fact that they are quite uncreative, and at this point the NSMB series is over 12 years old. It's time for something new. People already pile on the NSMB games, and after Odyssey blew everyone's socks off I find the chances of another new NSMB game to be slim to none.

If you want my opinion of the NSMB games though, I find the DS one to be one of the top 2D Mario games, and the other three are very boring, with 2 in particular being a miserable experience.

My opinion on each of the NSMB games:

The original New Super Mario Bros. was great for bringing back 2D Mario after a long hiatus. It's the only one I have yet to play, however, so I can't speak for the quality of the game.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was truly a great game. I have all these childhood memories from it, and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 didn't quite feel original, but I still had a great time with it. It may be the weakest in the series, but 2D Mario is 2D Mario, and 2D Mario is a lot of fun.

New Super Mario Bros. U may not give me that nostalgia that NSMBW gives me, but it's better in many ways, and its improvements make it the best NSMB game. I think it's the best 2D Mario ever, but I know people will argue with that.

The way I see it, NSMBW and NSMBU are pretty much equal at face value, but NSMBW introduced a lot of new stuff like new music and multiplayer mode while NSMBU just reused all that stuff for the most part. This gives NSMBW the edge, since I think it and NSMBDS are the only two that introduced lots of new things.

YFJ said:
Honoka's #5 Fan said:
Nsmbu is the second best nsmb game
If you think the original is the best, I can understand. That's the one I haven't played.

If you're talking about NSMBW, please explain why you think it's better than NSMBU.
NSMBWii still felt fresh
NSMBU is good but it feels stale
also I don't actually like the original NSMB that much
except the minigames which they should just release in some way.

Back