New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - Switch Port Rumors

You're right that critic opinions are not any more valid than user opinions. I'm just saying that critics know how to score games, while there are too many users out there who only know how to give 10s and 0s.

Although I appreciate the fact that I can appreciate games like Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and Yoshi's New Island, when there are so many people who can't. And I am happy for those who managed to squeeze any enjoyment out of Sonic Boom. It's nice how we don't always agree with critics.

Those binary user reviews, you can easily discard them because the intentions for those scores are plain obvious and not honest. However, that's not to say all user reviews are invalid, of course.

I don't trust a lot of journalistic sites for a number of reasons.

Firstly, a lot of them survive by getting free copies of games to review. This is basically sponsored content and most sites 'get it' and give positive reviews simply for receiving them. For the ones that don't and give less-than-stellar reviews, the publisher can refuse to provide copies in the future. This happened with one review site after giving Final Fantasy XV a 7/10. So, right there, the review is skewed to the positive simply to keep the publisher happy, not to benefit the consumer.

Secondly, Metacritic works off a bell curve system where if a reviewer only gives high scores or only gives low scores, their review score is skewed on the site and is given lesser importance. This means they have to spread out their review scores. But they also have to keep publishers happy. In turn they end up giving their good reviews to the big publisher games and lower ones to lesser known ones. Again, this is not for the benefit of the consumer.

The only trustworthy reviewers are the ones living outside this bubble. There aren't many outside of very small, independent sites. Jim Sterling is probably the biggest known one because he gets his support from Patreon and has been around for many years. Even though I don't agree with him on everything, I can at least trust that his reviews are actually his opinions.

Haedox does explain why reviewers can be more skewed. You're getting a review copy from nice people so it's going to positive-bias your play experience even if you try to remain fair. So, it's also not a matter of silence sometimes. I'm not sure which reviewers I can or can't trust (I like Angry Joe, Jim Sterling, and ProJared) but still, I think their opinions on games tend to be consistent with my opinions. Ultra Smash and New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Sticker Star didn't come out with spanking good reviews, just mostly "they're okay" which I agree with. And I do think Odyssey is a great game though I disagree with the Metacritic average a little, thinking it should be slightly lower.

That bell curve thing is pretty dumb, if that's supposed to be a way to curate reviews. The rationale doesn't justify such a silly calculation.

I don't understand what makes this perception different from your friends who gift you the game, in terms of how you received it. Maybe publishers can create a looming shadow over you but I don't know how many publishers attempt to curate their practice by culling copies from people who give games low scores or how many times this occurred.

Viewing the whole thread and I'm not sure if anyone mentioned Geno and Waluigi. This game seems to be the very last life rope for them to be confirmed as Super Mario canon to get into Smash bros. What I see is Nintendo's growing preference for Toadette (despite she does deserve to be in SMB) and now I won't be surprised to see her chosen as independent Smash fighter one day over Captain Toad just like this.

Now just hope that there will be dlcs for UDX and Peach/Daisy would still have chance to be playable. Not like it's a downgrade from SMRun.

Dorayaki said:
I don't think there's any chance in hell he'll be in this game, but conversely I think he's almost a lock for Smash.

I think maybe the title should be changed to remove the "Switch port rumors" part since it's no longer a rumor :P

Whenever I think about this game, I think of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, the 1999 GBC port of the 1985 NES game. That was arguably the most "deluxe" of any Mario series port ever. I mean, it had the original game (plus saving and world maps), a new Challenge Mode with Red Coins and Yoshi Eggs, a multiplayer VS mode (and its single-player variant You VS Boo), and the Lost Levels in tbe form of Super Mario Bros. for Super Players. It was definitely the definitive version of Super Mario Bros.

With that in mind, I wonder just how "deluxe" this version of NSMBU will be. When I look at the different modes of SMBDX, I see that NSMBU already has a lot of them.

-The standard mode doesn't really need to be changed. It already has a couple new characters; let's leave it at that.

-Challenge Mode is essentially present in NSMBU; it literally has a mode called "Challenges", as well as Boost Rush mode and Star Coins. Other than new Challenges and Boost Rush packs, there isn't much to be added here.

-There is already a multiplayer VS mode in the form of Coin Battle (or maybe Story Mode, if someone decides to start a death fest). Again, not much to be added here. But some free-for-all minigames are always welcome!

-New Super Luigi U is this game's equivalent of For Super Players mode. It's essentially a more challenging NSMBU with a whole set of 82 new levels. I wouldn't say any changes are necessary here, but they already showed Mario being playable here, so that counts for something.

In short, I can't think of much they can add if they take the SMBDX route. But hopefully, they'll surprise me and add stuff I haven't even thought about. Hopefully, this port will be worthy of the "Deluxe" title; after SMBDX, NSMBUDX has a lot to live up to.

Ghostly Yoshi said:
Whenever I think about this game, I think of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, the 1999 GBC port of the 1985 NES game. That was arguably the most "deluxe" of any Mario series port ever. I mean, it had the original game (plus saving and world maps), a new Challenge Mode with Red Coins and Yoshi Eggs, a multiplayer VS mode (and its single-player variant You VS Boo), and the Lost Levels in tbe form of Super Mario Bros. for Super Players. It was definitely the definitive version of Super Mario Bros.

With that in mind, I wonder just how "deluxe" this version of NSMBU will be. When I look at the different modes of SMBDX, I see that NSMBU already has a lot of them.

-The standard mode doesn't really need to be changed. It already has a couple new characters; let's leave it at that.

-Challenge Mode is essentially present in NSMBU; it literally has a mode called "Challenges", as well as Boost Rush mode and Star Coins. Other than new Challenges and Boost Rush packs, there isn't much to be added here.

-There is already a multiplayer VS mode in the form of Coin Battle (or maybe Story Mode, if someone decides to start a death fest). Again, not much to be added here. But some free-for-all minigames are always welcome!

-New Super Luigi U is this game's equivalent of For Super Players mode. It's essentially a more challenging NSMBU with a whole set of 82 new levels. I wouldn't say any changes are necessary here, but they already showed Mario being playable here, so that counts for something.

In short, I can't think of much they can add if they take the SMBDX route. But hopefully, they'll surprise me and add stuff I haven't even thought about. Hopefully, this port will be worthy of the "Deluxe" title; after SMBDX, NSMBUDX has a lot to live up to.

At least add more Yoshi colors, seriously!
:P

A couple new modes would be great, be creative Nintendo.

https://newsupermariobrosu.nintendo.com/

This pretty awesome website for the game just went up, and its wonderful to look at. Seriously go check it out.

Am I the only one who still notices the fact that the thread title hasn't been changed yet and that it still says "rumors?"

No, you're at best second person. Personally, I don't care that much. What I do care is that Luigi gets sidelined because he can't wear a dress.

Ah yes, THAT is unforgivable.

He looks fabulous in dresses.

Tsk... Jerry just has shit taste.

On the other hand, Mario isn't off the hook either on that subject. But he looks just as nice. Just how I want him to look in a wedding dress.

So. It seems Blue Toad is in the game after all, sharing a slot with Yellow Toad under the generic "Toad" identifier, switchable with the "L" button.

....now I'm curious if we should re-examine SM3DW, particularly given the fairly-obvious fact that the idea of a singular "Toad" character is no longer up-to-date whatsoever.

Oh boy, this rabbit hole again. It will probably be filed under "possible appearances". My headaches are coming back though.

But hey, at least Toadette is exonerated from at least that murder...

if they have a color switcher, then i don't get why not have one for regular toad...

regular toad runs toad houses. they can at least have regular toad and toadette as playable, and blue and yellow toads run toad houses.

Regular Toad isn't a character anymore. There's like a billion of 'em. So what of the player character looks like everyone else?

:toad: :toad: :toad: :toad: :toad: J̘̦̻̖͉͟o̶̵̲̣̺̣̫͡I̘̞̫͙͓̯ͅṊ̶̵͉͎͠ ̷̴͓͓̳͔̕u͉̜͚͕͓̙̭͟͜S̻̯̗̖̯s̤̗̮s̡̤̩͡ͅŞ̰̱̪̕ͅS̥̺͕̠̤͍͕̲͟͢͠S̩̩͉̰̫͇͕͖S̴̲̖͈͚̺̫̰s̝͇̰͖͚̞̞̰̖͠S̷̵̻̣͉͍̲̜.̡̪̱͈͚͓̖.̸̴̟͍̩̪̹͇̩͔͜ͅ

I am a little disappointed that Peach isn't playable after being rescued just like in Super Mario Run but I am thankful for Peachette because she's the closest thing to a playable Peach in this game. I am still waiting for a New Super Mario Bros. Switch after this port. I got updated ideas for what I want in that game. I want Peach and Daisy to be playable and not kidnapped in NSMB Switch.

infinite8 said:
regular toad runs toad houses. they can at least have regular toad and toadette as playable, and blue and yellow toads run toad houses.

that hasn't necessarily stopped regular toad from appearing playable alongside npcs of toads of his color in multiple games though

infinite8 said:
Or Toadsworth

Back